How have you been doing during quarantine?

I couldn't name even one young pro female drummer. Or any at all, for that matter, except Sheila E.

However, I don't keep track of the drum world.

Maybe the first pro drummer is Viola Smith & Dottie Dodgion (Benny Goodman), then there's Honey Lantree (Honeycolmbs), Moe Tucker (Velvet Underground), Bobbie Hall (Marvin Gaye), Karen Carpenter, Sandy West (the Runaways), Gina Schock (the Go-gos), and Terri Lyne Carrington was the one I went to school with.

I am new here not sure how to present myself. As far as the pandemic goes, I kind of enjoy it. I like the cleaner air, the city noise is down, more birds. I sleep longer. Because everything has slowed down, I don’t feel so bad having a canvas there that I touch only once in a while with a brush or just sit in front of it for an hour.
What I enjoy most about wearing a mask in public is that I stick out my tongue at irritating people behind my mask and they don’t know. It is a little secret.
I am a loner by nature and feel more normal these days because I don’t need to make excuses not to join some small gathering . Although I would love to remove my mask and gloves to kiss someone madly.
View attachment 94

Welcome to the forums, Desforges. Glad to see you here! I hope you post some of your beautiful work sometime soon. I also like the quiet, and you know we are loners around here too. ;)

How could I have forgotten Maureen Tucker and Karen Carpenter? Gettin' senile. The rest I haven't heard of, and it's still a mighty short list compared to the boys.

Yes. Well, there's been many more since the 80s, but those are the pioneers. There are some great ones since then, not that some of those woman weren't excellent. Viola Smith STILL plays at age 106!

Musket, that is one sweetheart of a guitar. Just beautiful and the price they are asking for it speaks to the quality of it. Well done!

Thank you, sno. Art was sort of a return for me. Most of my life was devoted to the guitar, in one way or another.

At sixteen I knew what I wanted out of life. To play blues guitar exceptionally well, to build exceptionally beautiful guitars, and to love and be loved by exceptionally beautiful women. I've actually been spending good deal of the time writing to someone who was, ahem, instrumental to the whole guitar building trip. There's one on every corner now, but when I got started you could count the number of guitar builders in this country on your fingers and toes. It never could have happened the way it did without her. She never knew just how important she turned out to be, and I'm not sure she ever will. It wasn't anything she did on purpose. She was just being her exceptionally beautiful seventeen year old self-- two years younger than me, but only in years.

Take me back to the late 60s. Please. Now.

We broke on March 13th. For me, that meant the final 2 and a half months of school took place... as best as possible... through the computer. I posted several lessons for the kids and participated in a slew of meetings through ZOOM, Face Time, etc... We'll end up doing a lot of planning over the Summer. Hopefully, the district decides upon a single platform to communicate with the students and parents with. One idea that has been bandied about is having students attend physical classes a couple of days a week on a rotating basis so that smaller class sizes can be maintained. This would be in combination with online learning.

I can't say I didn't love sleeping in. During school I am usually up at 5:30 and on the road by 6:15... and I am most certainly NOT a morning person. My dogs are especially loving it. Under normal circumstances, they are used to me being gone at least 6 days a week including Saturdays at the studio, and being left alone 3 or 4 times a week while we eat out. Now we're home all the time... except for grocery shopping every other week... and they love it.

Besides doing my online school work, I've been listening to a lot of music, streaming movies, reading, and cleaning the house and garage. I haven't been able to get the least art done... but this is not a recent change. Unfortunately, one of my studio partners has developed dementia and the last 10-12 months have been continual drama any time my other studio mate and I attempt to go into the studio and get some work done. The end result has been that the other two of us have left the studio to work at home. These last two weeks I have spent cleaning out storage and workspace at home and clearing out 15 years worth of artwork and materials from the studio. The big move with the rental truck and all just took place Friday and I am still exhausted and aching all over. Later this week I plan on sorting out and organizing all the crap I brought home, painting the bedroom walls in what will now be my studio... and trying to deal with working in a 12x15' space when I'm used to painting on a rather large scale. I found a big stack of heavy cardboard/chipboard about 2x3'. I might end up priming these and working primarily upon portraits/faces for the time being.

Unfortunately, one of my studio partners has developed dementia and the last 10-12 months have been continual drama any time my other studio mate and I attempt to go into the studio and get some work done. The end result has been that the other two of us have left the studio to work at home. These last two weeks I have spent cleaning out storage and workspace at home and clearing out 15 years worth of artwork and materials from the studio. The big move with the rental truck and all just took place Friday and I am still exhausted and aching all over.
David, I'm sorry you had to give up your big studio space, but just think of it as a new chapter in your life. Your work will turn a corner, it's true, but you may be able later to look back on it as a positive change. Many artists are working from just a tiny corner of a room as their studio space and turn out some fantastic work.

God to see you Brain. Welcome. Hope you find you'll like it here as we grow.

St. Luke, I'm so sorry about you having to move spaces. I've been through that a couple times and it can be very depressing. I put most of my work in storage and pay every month on it like it's a studio space, only I don't have one anymore. I've been considering bringing it all home and just sticking it all in my garage somehow. Still, I'm doing the actual working in a small space with carpet. Doesn't feel like a studio at all.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. Thus far, I find this new board way more congenial and better functioning than WC, so I think I have now made the switch.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. Thus far, I find this new board way more congenial and better functioning than WC, so I think I have now made the switch.
It is 100% easier to navigate and features all work better too.

Can I show you a quarantine picture? I’m much prouder of this gorgeousness than my dumb artwork, which still, and always, makes me cringe. (I wonder at what age that stops happening?)

As I’ve mentioned at TOS, I don’t cook. No interest In learning. Bored of eating. But, I heard some chef on a podcast talking about “the best“ roasted potatoes and they sounded good and relatively easy. So, I cleared an afternoon and cleared the kitchen and I made them!

Ain’t they pretty??
And not bad for an Olive.

potatoes.jpg

Lots of people have been cooking like crazy during the lockdown. Around here we had a really hard lockdown for weeks; you could go absolutely nowhere, and only buy essentials. They banned even alcohol and tobacco. So I learned to brew my own alcohol. And make real pizzas. Soon I'll have to start shaking off all the weight again. :)

Back