go back to art school

Hermes2020

I was never a student at any art school, so cannot go back. Had I been at art school instead of studying chemistry, my going back would depend on who was teaching there currently.

Artyczar

I never went, so I can't go "back." I have no idea if I would benefit, but I often wonder if I would have thrived, or died. But who can afford it?

16ga

I never went. I hated school and I hated the art class in my high school so I don't think I would have done very well anyway.
I tend to not do well and lose interest when I have people telling me what to do.

laika

Loitering Member
Many years ago, I went to few classes held by a very gifted individual (not a school), and I loved it. Sigh... my no-nonsense Russian taskmaster... I would go back to her in a heartbeat if I could.

As to enrolling in a school and coming out with a diploma, I don't know. Getting a general education and majoring in art sounds like fun, but there's the expense, plus I don't know what is taught in an art school. I know a metal worker who loved her time at Montevallo (AL, USA) as far as getting an education, but a lot of what she knows about casting and pouring iron and welding, she learned working at Sloss Furnace (Birmingham, AL).

Terri

I've enjoyed the few art-related classes/workshops I've taken, but never took actual drawing or painting classes, and certainly never attended an art school. I think I'd still enjoy generic, adult art classes on the fly if they came my way.

There's always something to learn, that's for sure. I remain forever open to that.

bethany

I didn't go to art school. I didn't even take art at high school as I didn't like the art history part (love art history now!) I have attended many workshops over the years with painting teachers I admire. I never stop learning.

Artyczar

I also love art history nowadays. I don't think I would have been able to sit through too much of it at a younger age, but I'm not sure. At least not early art history.

I took a ceramic class in the mid-thirties, but I really hated it. It was interesting to learn the process, however, I was not allowed on the wheel.

amo

I also never went to art school. Had art in high school, with a decidedly mixed experience. Learned from trial and error, books, and online. I think art school would have forced me to make a lot more work a lot earlier, and I would have learned more simply with more "mileage," but I'm not sure what other benefit I would have gotten. I didn't do very well in school, anyway - not temperamentally suited.

I've had some art peers with mutual critique relationships over the years. That's been very helpful.

Triduana

Contributing Member
I never went either. If I'd gone to uni straight from school I probably would have done art, but my parents wouldn't let me as they didn't think it would lead anywhere! Plus my experience with art in school wasn't that great: I had 2 teachers plus my dad all telling me to do things in different ways, and because I had zero confidence back then I tried to please all of them instead of doing my own thing. The result being I was put off art for years.

I've done a short weekend course at college and a few life drawing classes over the past few years; it's been informal and fun and I think that's the best way of learning.

I was very close to signing up for a diploma in botanical illustration five years ago but put the money towards buying a house instead. I'm now in a situation where I could maybe think about it again - but I'm enjoying sketching plants in my own style at the moment and I don't want to lose that.

Scamall

I think I might enjoy it, but I don’t feel compelled to do so. I am also old enough to take classes for free, not degreed, but I have enough of those expensive pieces of paper 🤣🤣🤣🤣