Ginger Bread

rodhlann

1638497979242.png

My submission for a winter challenge with the prompt Ginger Bread. I haven't done a ton of digital art, and would really like to figure out how to add a light "cookie" texture to the entire cookie, if anyone has tips!

Made in Krita using an old Wacom Bamboo tablet

Last edited:
My submission for a winter challenge with the prompt Ginger Bread. I haven't done a ton of digital art, and would really like to figure out how to add a light "cookie" texture to the entire cookie, if anyone has tips!

Made in Krita using an old Wacom Bamboo tablet
Airbrush tool? I've never used Krita . . . .

Airbrush tool? I've never used Krita . . . .
It's just a brush with softer edges so you can make gradient shadows and whatnot. Krita is great! Completely free digital painting tool. I love it.

It's just a brush with softer edges so you can make gradient shadows and whatnot. Krita is great! Completely free digital painting tool. I love it.

Well, in GIMP, I could use the airbrush tool to create a cookie texture, and if I weren't so rusty at it, I'd probably use a layer mask. But I don't know how to do it in Krita.

Well, in GIMP, I could use the airbrush tool to create a cookie texture, and if I weren't so rusty at it, I'd probably use a layer mask. But I don't know how to do it in Krita.
I'll try and see if there's a similar tool for Krita, GIMP is pretty different, but I'm sure there's a similar brush at least

I agree with Angela. I would also use a stencil and then add some texture.

In Artrage, which is the software I use, you can put down a texture layer first and then when you paint over it, the texture is picked up. I'm not sure if you can do it after the fact but it is worth a try. That way, you don't have to repaint everything.

Thank you! I'm gonna do some digging tonight and experiment I think. I'd love to give it that extra depth

I use rebelle and painter and you can set the texture on the canvas layer, maybe similar on Krita. I like your Ginger bread🙂

It looks like I can make a custom brush to help with this, which I would put over the base color before shading. Seems promising!

Great character! It made me smile.

I know very little about digital painting. I'd like to give it a try one day. So I can't advise about texture. I do know that I am now craving gingerbread so may have to visit the bakery tomorrow. :)

Digital painting provides a ton of flexibility, but I find that it can be a bit overwhelming with the amount of tooling you have access to. Sometimes it's nice to just have a pen and paper and nothing else to worry about.

I'm honestly mostly trying to better dig in to digital art so I can attempt to learn animation, which I think might be easier digital

Back