Digital Art Process - A Space Odyssey - Year 1

MrBungle

Greetings HAL 9000,

I thought I’d share my digital process creating art in Procreate and to anyone who wants to use it as reference. Maybe get a little more out of Procreate. Or ya need something new to read. Lol. I’m a natural born teacher I guess. I’m also a guitar instructor on Taylor Robinson music . :)

I’m going to use my current drawing ”accident” as the subject for this. (Insert your sketch here)

Let me preface by I typically use the gray scale to color method. I do like ultra detailed imagery as well but again take what you want out of this. :)
I also love black and white work and normally don’t use color as I need more work with my color palettes 🎨 . But we are going to paint this as it’s part of the lesson.

Also I use blending modes. Its has helped making the process a tad easier on procreate and that’s what I want is easy.
The assumption is you know a little about procreate. Also can apply to photoshop, sketchbook….etc.
Ok first image break down.
‘Number 1.
IMG_0053.jpeg

Over to the right is the meat of digital creation is layers.
You can see…the setup above.
1. The sketch
2. Layer modes and opacity
3. Layer enabled
4. Opacity set to 30 percent so when I paint on top of it I can create new lines.
5. The type of layer mode. Here is normal. Nothing special attributes set to the layer.

Next. Image 2
IMG_0050.jpeg

So looking at the layers I can’t stress enough the importance of layer management while working with layer modes.
think of it as like directory structure in windows or Mac. Want keep things organized. Being this is the gray scale to color method I have a folder called “Grayscale” and in a folder called cross with all the layers.

1. This is my shape layer. Painted the entire image a light gray color. Again, normal blending mode. And after that lock the layer so you don’t mess it up on accident on accident. Layer management. Everything you do on a separate layer. You’ll see why later.
2. My background I select to use is alway a mid gray. It allows you to see the whitest white and the blackest black.

3rd Image
IMG_0054.jpeg

create new layer. New layer called light gray.

1. When you tap the layer a pop up window comes up and gives you options. One is called clipping mask. This creates a selection around the shape layer so it doesn't allow you to paint outside the shape layer give you nice crisp edges.
2. Here we changed the mode to the layer called multiply. This allows us to keep the same color gray I’ve been using and just multiplies the gradient used. Yes color too. Next I paint all my light grays in.

Talk to you in the next year commander.
END TRANSMISSION

…. .. . …. .. S…O…S………
START TRANSMISSION.
HAL9000 FOUND 2 MORE IMAGES IN THE GRAYSCALE QUADRANT 3446.344

IMAGE 4.
IMG_0055.jpeg

1. Here this layer is my fake light layer. It’s literally a dab of white with an airbrush. I picked the wrong gray here so it’s not as noticeable as I would like.

IMAGE 5.

IMG_0056.jpeg

1. Hear a new layer with the multiply property again to multiply the gray again. After these will be my shadow layer.

I am currently doing the shadow layer… if this keeps up an I have oxygen left I will supply the next coordinates of the next transmission. Please stay s…….

END TRANSMISSION

START TRANSMISSION

IMAGE 6.
IMG_0058.jpeg

Here we have a more detailed image.

1. Here we have a 3rd multipled layer (denoted by the M) this creates my shadow Layer. I also start adding the dark details at this point.

2. Creation of the color layers, management of the layers. Currently disable.

IMAGE 7

IMG_0059.jpeg

1. Here we have the directory structure opened, with 2 new layers called gold and blue.
2. New blending modes called color or “C”. This allows us to blend our color on top with losing your grayscale detail.

END TRANSMISSION

Wow, for some reason I only saw this excellent post now. Thank you for taking the time to show your workflow—I know how much effort goes into preparing a post like this one. I have always believed that, apart from a space where we can show our creations, Creative Spark also serves as a place we can share our techniques and processes. I share your love of teaching!

Wow, for some reason I only saw this excellent post now. Thank you for taking the time to show your workflow—I know how much effort goes into preparing a post like this one. I have always believed that, apart from a space where we can show our creations, Creative Spark also serves as a place we can share our techniques and processes. I share your love of teaching!
Thanks for taking the time to comment.

INCOMING TRANSMISSION……………..

IMG_0068.png

CORRUPTED FILE DOWNLOAD
ONLY DOWNLOADED 20% -
VIRUS ATTACKED

…………working on file….can you hear me?

hello?

……….
……..

…….

END TRANSMISSION

How easy is it, on an iPad, to schedule automatic incremental backups of your work in progress as a safeguard against virus attacks and corruption of files? I don't do any serious work on an iPad, so was wondering.

How easy is it, on an iPad, to schedule automatic incremental backups of your work in progress as a safeguard against virus attacks and corruption of files? I don't do any serious work on an iPad, so was wondering.
Super easy. My backups occur once a night. I also move my drawings manually to my cloud drive.

Last edited:
INCOMING TRANSMISSION

ABOUT 40 HOURS TOTAL SO FAR

IMAGE 8
IMG_0069.jpeg

IMG_0064.jpeg

NEW BLENDING MODE ALERT

Here we have a new mode called ”Di”or Divide. This blending layer states darker colors create brighter results, while already light areas produce little change. Also using the color blue I chose give us an orange color as in image 8.5 shows that the color I chose and its complementary.

You can also see the new layer groups for the ship.

stay tuned.

END TRANSMISSION

Back