FYI - WetCanvas

I've always poked around on different forums but never made a a real home anywhere. Maybe Saatchi for a minute because they became abusive. I guess that was why I made one of my onw. It's still not the most ideal one but it satisfies the need to talk about art and have a lot of appreciation for it. Because I do appreciate ALL art.

I like traditional art and realism, but I often feel like I don't exactly belong in this particular group as a whole. I'd love to have more experimental artists and contemporaries here, other wise it sometimes puts a tiny strain on what I make or show.

It's all about fear. I watched the documentary about Hilma Af Klint last night and it gave me some new inspiration for sure. No fear. She talks about it a lot.

Arty, are you still in Saatchi Art? Do/did you have art there for sale? Or do you mean you only stayed in the forum? I was there (only listed some art) for a short while but never in the forum, not sure I remember if there was one .. :eek: Did you delete your account there completely? If so do you plan to return?💫

Hi moscatel, I don't know if I still have a "for sale" account there. I probably do, but it's very out of date if I do. I am talking about many years ago when Saatchi had a live chat for artists. They had to shut it down because of bullies. Some even took it too far and things went to court and some of these bullies served time in prison. A friend of mine was a victim of one of the suits. It was hell. However, I met some wonder people there too.

Wetcanvas members have dual memberships of various art forums, so there was no question of banning anyone from wetcanvas unless they had done something unacceptable. One member I know was banned for plagiarism, formerly a good friend,
If the bulk of wetcanvas members end up here it is likely they will hope to see an expanded list of forums, such as plein air, journalling etc etc.
Yorky (currently a wetcanvas admin)

Hey,

I never knew it was a thing on WC, but yeah glad it is not here, I will go and read the rules as well, to keep up to date. Really looking forward to being here.
I truly never understood this animosity towards WC Debates. Nobody ever twisted anybody else's arm to participate.

Yorky, I was banned because I private messaged a couple people about the fact that I started this forum after the new WC began (something others did as well but did not get banned for). I also asked a couple of admins if I could help with anything on WC before all this. I only ever wanted to be of use. I like helping artists. I did not wish to have a monopoly on anyone. Just for the record.

Well, I posted a link to here. It surely doesn't matter anymore and hopefully we will find some of the lost who are needing to find an art home.

If I may offer my two cents: I was only on WC for 4 years or so, and can't comment on the changes over the years. When I joined it was because they actually had a dedicated forum for oil pastels. It was small and slow, but the folks who were there knew their stuff and were always helpful to a head-tilting newbie like me.

I can only say I think the new owners over there have shown an astonishingly cavalier attitude towards what they have in that forum: enormous membership, content and, until recently, overall good will. This last is something that's intangible, and takes time to earn, and they've shown how little they appreciate it. My understanding is that they are going to focus on more "community" at their Artist Network site - good luck with that. They've shown how little they value the loyalty and energy they've inherited from the moderators, admins and countless other contributors over the years.

I'm a really "old" member at Wet Canvas. I still post there quite often, because it seems there are more technical questions being asked by newbies, and answers (sometimes debatable) offered by older, more experienced artists on Wet Canvas, than there is on any other site I've been on. I like those sorts of discussions, even though they can tend to be argumentative. "Argumentative" never hurt anyone, as long as the questions are allowed to be answered by everyone, ......without being censored! I was banned, temporarily from Wet Canvas, once for getting into a debate with Einion, one of the moderators of the Color theory and Mixing Forum, and once for merely sending Private Messages to members, and then asking them to "Please check your Private Message file", in the open forum. I discovered that one way I could eliminate all the bullying by moderators in the color forum was to merely Private Message members, so I could explain my ideas, in the form of a polite, logical, private conversation .

Some of the mods did not like the fact that I was doing so, and claimed that I was violating some area of the "Member Agreement". I told then that if I had, indeed, violated some part of the "Agreement" by doing my Private Message "reminders", they could point it out to me, and I would be willing to cease. But, when they discovered they had not one iota of fact upon which to base their claim, they banned me anyway. One moderator on the Color Theory and Mixing Forum was hell bent upon baiting me into arguments, I'm sure with the goal being that of provoking me into making some comment that would get me banned. When I determined that was his goal, I was careful with my comments, and my being very polite to him drove him absolutely nuts! It was kinda' funny, actually.

I was actually a "Guide" on Wet Canvas, at one time, but I did not appreciate all the underhanded crap that went on, so I resigned.

THIS is a much friendlier site than Wet Canvas, but I would like more lively discussions, and arguments regarding the tools and materials of art products--in my case, primarily for oil painting. :cool:

I'm a really "old" member at Wet Canvas. I still post there quite often, because it seems there are more technical questions being asked by newbies, and answers (sometimes debatable) offered by older, more experienced artists on Wet Canvas, than there is on any other site I've been on. I like those sorts of discussions, even though they can tend to be argumentative. "Argumentative" never hurt anyone, as long as the questions are allowed to be answered by everyone, ......without being censored! I was banned, temporarily from Wet Canvas, once for getting into a debate with Einion, one of the moderators of the Color theory and Mixing Forum, and once for merely sending Private Messages to members, and then asking them to "Please check your Private Message file", in the open forum. I discovered that one way I could eliminate all the bullying by moderators in the color forum was to merely Private Message members, so I could explain my ideas, in the form of a polite, logical, private conversation .

Some of the mods did not like the fact that I was doing so, and claimed that I was violating some area of the "Member Agreement". I told then that if I had, indeed, violated some part of the "Agreement" by doing my Private Message "reminders", they could point it out to me, and I would be willing to cease. But, when they discovered they had not one iota of fact upon which to base their claim, they banned me anyway. One moderator on the Color Theory and Mixing Forum was hell bent upon baiting me into arguments, I'm sure with the goal being that of provoking me into making some comment that would get me banned. When I determined that was his goal, I was careful with my comments, and my being very polite to him drove him absolutely nuts! It was kinda' funny, actually.

I was actually a "Guide" on Wet Canvas, at one time, but I did not appreciate all the underhanded crap that went on, so I resigned.

THIS is a much friendlier site than Wet Canvas, but I would like more lively discussions, and arguments regarding the tools and materials of art products--in my case, primarily for oil painting. :cool:
This story is just mind-bending to me. This is the 2nd or 3rd instance I've read here about members getting into trouble, or even banned, for asking another member to check their PM's.

I'm an admin at a photo forum, and we WANT our members to "take it to PM" if the back & forth is going nowhere, or getting heated. I dislike having to step in and play the heavy by saying so. If I see a "Check your messages" then I know nothing will escalate further in the open forum. This is a good thing!

I don't get it. As I've mentioned, I've been there only 4 years or so. This is a silly rule IMHO and would likely have gotten me banned eventually, because my experience tells me it's OK to do it.

Oh well...water under the bridge and all that...

Well, I don't take bullying very well, so I was a bit obnoxious to them, I'm sure, when I told them that since they couldn't find anything in their "User's Agreement" against my posting "Please check your Private Message File", that I intended to keep on doing so. 'Twas THAT that got me banned. They are a brutal crew at Wet Canvas. To get along on that site, one really needs to play THEIR game, as unfair as it may be!! Long ago, I decided that there IS "life after Wet Canvas", and it was that attitude that kept me discussing the facts of color behavior, and the attributes of oil painting, on as many sites as I could locate.

What's funny is that I have a couple of friends who are really excellent artists, who are still on Wet Canvas, and at least one of them has been banned, about as many times as I have! :cool:

Last edited:
But what would be the point of having a messaging system built in if they don't want people using it?

Also Bill I just want to say that whether its on the forums or in a message I have always appreciated your advice.
Ps. I’ve been side tracked and haven't had much time to work on it but my painting using your progressive focus method is coming along much better now.

But what would be the point of having a messaging system built in if they don't want people using it?

Also Bill I just want to say that whether its on the forums or in a message I have always appreciated your advice.
Ps. I’ve been side tracked and haven't had much time to work on it but my painting using your progressive focus method is coming along much better now.
Wow. Thanks for your kind words. When I took my communication "underground" via Private Messaging, the power structure at Wet Canvas felt that the information that I (or anyone else, for that matter) imparted in the Private Messages, was doing a disservice to the general membership. I'm sure they felt that it was selfish to impart information only to a select few, and that the general membership should be able to receive it, as well. But, there certainly were no rules against doing so in their User Agreement, which they seemed to worship as an icon. So, they just had to make up a perceived "rule", in order to ban me.

What they DIDN'T realize was that it was their very actions of being such bullies that was driving me, and several others "underground" with our Private Messages. And, it WAS a very calm, and polite way to carry on conversations, and to dispense, and to gather information, without being pushed around, and censored by the moderators. I had so many Private Message communications that I could have used a secretary to keep them all accounted for.

However, what I did quit doing was posting, "Please check your Private Messages" in the open forum, because that seemed to irritate the administrators. I still continued my underground conversations via PM's.........I just did not publish that I was doing so in the open forum. There was a great while on Wet Canvas that I ceased posting in the open forum, at all. ALL my communication was via Private Messages. That is an excellent example of what bullying by moderators can cause on a question-and-answer site such as Wet Canvas.

Last edited:
Wow Bill. I only posted once on the open forum that I'd messaged members privately, and I don't even think I'd created this site yet. I think I was just asking around if people would be interested in my building something. I got banned after other members made invites to come here. I never even went that far. I got the same answer from the mods--that I did something against the user agreement. I didn't go so far as to look into the user agreement though. I just let it go. I thought it was petty however, and felt it was odd that talk about joining other forums would be against their user agreement. I never, ever implied anyone should quit WC for this one, nor did anyone else. In fact, I am pretty sure I reiterated several times that this just be an additional place to hang out.

Another old WC refuge. Well, a ban means very little at the moment since the forums are going away. When they mentioned ArtistNetwork I thought they were going to move again but then saw the “free trial membership” coupled to some links for classes. So am thinking this is really all about $$$ or £££.
Joe

I've been away from here for a short while. When I returned yesterday and saw new members, it was like being back at WC 😊.
It's quite sad really, WC was an expressive outlet for many that will no longer be able to express themselves through their art there. Sad indeed.

Back