FYI - WetCanvas

Hello all.

I am here from WC, on a friends recommendation, glad to be back on a normal forum site. I re-logged back in to WC and what I saw was just too awful, all my messages lost, the front end super glitchy, after speaking to admin, sounds like they are trying to make the best of a bad situation :| Good luck to them, but they mentioned lots of archives we lost and contributors as well. I fear they will never get that back to the way it was (good or bad).

Nice to see more of you here from WC, hoping to make connections again. This is me here.

I kept the same user name from WC, hoping some of your might remember. x

Welcome. I don't really know you but recognize your profile picture from WC.
As much as I hate to say it after seeing some of the posts from staff members over there I'm really starting to get the feeling that the new owners are just going to can the forum….

Hello 16ga,

I did actually wonder this recently, it seems like flogging a dead horse over there, they built up such massive archives and members over the years, the hope to build that back up now, when other newer platforms have developed over the years. I do not think they will achieve that new dream.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome, am looking forward to art talk again :)

Welcome Ella. There are many of us here from WC. When it became impossible and not apt to improve most of us quit even visiting.
You'll like it here. :giggle:

Hey Snoball, I feel I remember you. And yes it looks nice here, I have yet to have a poke around and ask some art tech questions, but I am looking forward to this.

I logged in to WC a few days ago, asked admins what was going on, poked about, and decided I would not stay :( its toooo clunky, glitchy. I could log into their WP backend easy enough, an over-site on their end, which I mentioned. I am not sure their tech team have much of grasp, or they are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole now. Annnyway I am glad to be here and see faces I remember, which means the art chat will be good :)

Musket: Yup!

How long ago did all this happen? I feel I am just catching up. I have been busy with film work, so not had much painting time. But I have a block of time to paint now.

How long ago did all this happen? I feel I am just catching up. I have been busy with film work, so not had much painting time. But I have a block of time to paint now.
I think a little over a year ago or so?
It was a few months after the sale the new owners moved the forum to a better system. Supposedly it was a last min thing to save the site.

Yes
Yes it was a bit over a year ago I think, maybe longer. Arty or Hannah might be able to tell you just how long this site has been up, it was a few months before that. Just be sure and read the rules of this site on the "about" page. There is no debating here on any thread. No politics, no religious debates, that sort of thing. We just try to be a bunch of happy-go-lucky folks here. :giggle:

Welcome Bella. Nice to have you aboard. :) We are a very small operation here, and a bit of a small group of active members as well, but I think you'll like it. We hope to have more growth over the years and more participation. There's only two people moderating (mostly me) so that's why there's no debating. I am a full-time artist and just don't have the time to keep the animals tame in the zoo ;) so I prefer to keep the talk here strictly about art.

I will check out your website.

Welcome Bella. Nice to have you aboard. :) We are a very small operation here, and a bit of a small group of active members as well, but I think you'll like it. We hope to have more growth over the years and more participation. There's only two people moderating (mostly me) so that's why there's no debating. I am a full-time artist and just don't have the time to keep the animals tame in the zoo ;) so I prefer to keep the talk here strictly about art.

I will check out your website.

Hello Artz,

Yeah I read through this thread before posting and saw about the 'debating' I never knew it was a thing in WC. But glad it is not here, and I feel the same as you - I am here for the art.

Also well done on setting this up, looks amazing so far, nice and clean and just about art - thank you thank you.

Ah well, my website is my main 'bread', you will see when you get there! (any questions let me know ;) and then my mai passion is oil painting, I lack confidence :( BUT I am working on that. Hope to have some art chats with you :) x

Yes

Yes it was a bit over a year ago I think, maybe longer. Arty or Hannah might be able to tell you just how long this site has been up, it was a few months before that. Just be sure and read the rules of this site on the "about" page. There is no debating here on any thread. No politics, no religious debates, that sort of thing. We just try to be a bunch of happy-go-lucky folks here. :giggle:

Hey,

I never knew it was a thing on WC, but yeah glad it is not here, I will go and read the rules as well, to keep up to date. Really looking forward to being here.

I think a little over a year ago or so?
It was a few months after the sale the new owners moved the forum to a better system. Supposedly it was a last min thing to save the site.

"better system" o_O

It appears no one thought to do a main site back up before they migrated the whole thing over, I just can't even! 😣

I was sad about them not backing things up over there too. I'd also offered to help to upgrade their forums, or rather, suggested better programs like this one, but the mods seemed to think my suggestions were unhelpful...or something? I'm not sure. I really did care about WC, but I felt I was treated like a hostile threat. I mean I was since I'm not allowed there. :(

Welcome Ella, thanks for the update on WC. So many of us here remember when it was good. It's unfortunate that they haven't improved the site in all this time. But here we have a good art site with a small number of interesting artists, many of them former WC'ers. Small is beautiful!

I was sad about them not backing things up over there too. I'd also offered to help to upgrade their forums, or rather, suggested better programs like this one, but the mods seemed to think my suggestions were unhelpful...or something? I'm not sure. I really did care about WC, but I felt I was treated like a hostile threat. I mean I was since I'm not allowed there. :(

It is bizarre hey! No back up, weird new system, I would not use WP for forums, but hey, it is done now! Good luck to them and I hope we see more of us here. I somehow hope they just shelf the site so ppl can still use what resources they have left.

I went back in to find out about walnut alkyd, and the thread was amazing, I just hope they don't loose content like that.

Thanks for offering to help them, and sorry it fell of deaf ears, who knows what they were thinking.
Did they ban you? :eek:

Welcome Ella, thanks for the update on WC. So many of us here remember when it was good. It's unfortunate that they haven't improved the site in all this time. But here we have a good art site with a small number of interesting artists, many of them former WC'ers. Small is beautiful!

Yes agree, I think I remember you as well :)
Yes it was in interesting update, quick shocking really.
Can not wait to get stuck in here.

Welcome,
I agree with what he said on the toilet, I was very sorry that they moved the site, it is less usable but I am especially sorry for all the lost material, the works of art on the toilet and all the information present made that site something to safeguarding a huge heritage, the richest of museums, although online it had the value of the most beautiful of museums as what was present led you to appreciate art and beauty and helped to understand a little (even to a hard head like me, luckily creativespark has the spirit and heart of early WC).

I wouldn't be in the position I'm in if not for WetCanvas and Etsy Forums, both incredible early sites that "upgraded" into useless, sad, dead mockeries of past brilliance.

Back