FYI - WetCanvas

You have absolutely nothing to be ashamed about. If I started a new forum I would definitely invite people to join it. How else would they find out about it?

Jon and I butted heads on a number of occasions. He repeatedly tried to shame me for arguing with other members or posting something offensive to somebody somewhere... because "as a teacher I should know better." We all know teachers are not allowed to have a life outside of school... unlike other professionals like... oh let's say the police or the president... who can be assholes on the job. Did I just say that? He banned me several times. Once for something like 6 months. I was even banned "permanently" once for posting a picture of a girl in a bikini as a smart ass response to someone else. That actually lasted three days. Not bad for some 15+ years on the site. ;)

I never worried about anybody reading my PMs at WC who shouldn't have.
I always felt that if any mod, or administrator on Wet Canvas were ever to divulge that he/she had read, and acted upon any member's Private Message, the membership would quickly dwindle to almost nothing! That would be a terrible reputation to have, for any administrator of an art information site, in my opinion. Their being able to read PM's NOW will eventually work toward their demise, I believe.

Arty, I strongly believe that you have done nothing to feel ashamed about in this situation !

It is a matter of great concern and interest to those of us who are/were on WC, and the info on what happened is something that should be shared in the spirit of letting others know what you know about a common interest.

Given the events that have come to light of domestic spying, betrayal of trust and horrendous misconduct at the highest levels, it is not unreasonable to be at least a little concerned about a lot of things.

I, for one, am grateful for the info as it may, or may not, be useful in understanding future events. Thank you.

Regards,
Trier

Thank you Chris and Trier, and Sno too. I appreciate all three of you. ❤ I appreciate everyone here that have been so embracing of the site. It's been better than I really hoped for. :)

I'm glad you sent me that email! I actually felt so honored to be included.

Are we recruiting? I can devote an hour or so now that my garden is finally all in.

Please do! I would love more members here. It seems the members have slowed down. However, I am putting out my newsletter on Monday and I'm hoping that will get a few more here. That doesn't mean it will though. My mailing list has dwindled down over the years from a high number to about half: quality over quantity, and there's a lot less artists on that list now. I don't mind that or anything. They are not exactly my target audience! And also, my click-rate is lower that the number of people I reach. My list is 1,000, but only a third of those people open the email. The click rate of those is 30% so how many of those people are artists? And how many will join? It could be one or non, or 10, or--I don't know!

Please note: If you are recruiting people via Wet Canvas through private messaging on their system or posting publicly, it is against their policy. I think the only way around that would be private emails. I can't see how that would be illegal. But for all I know, it probably is.

I really like this new site and I'm going to be here a lot I think. In order to be completely open and honest, I am also going to support the abstract and contemporary forum over at WC because it has been completely abandoned and I feel like that's a bit of a shame and it deserves a bit of loyalty for the many years that I spent there. Some of you may know that I haven't been around for quite a long time and now I have enough time to participate in both forums. I got my pastels out today, blew off the dust and looked through some magazines for inspiration - I'm feeling excited!!!

I really like this new site and I'm going to be here a lot I think. In order to be completely open and honest, I am also going to support the abstract and contemporary forum over at WC because it has been completely abandoned and I feel like that's a bit of a shame and it deserves a bit of loyalty for the many years that I spent there. Some of you may know that I haven't been around for quite a long time and now I have enough time to participate in both forums. I got my pastels out today, blew off the dust and looked through some magazines for inspiration - I'm feeling excited!!!
Yes, I'm probably going to continue to visit WC Oils, and especially the Oils Technical Forum which is such a good source of info. There have been people there for a very long time who I want to continue to interact with and learn from. But I like it here a lot because it's smaller. I had begun to seem that there were so many new beginners in the WC Oils Forum that it felt overwhelming.

The new owners must have known that when they took it over. Instead of running it down they could have brought it up to date, made it easier to navigate etc. Just seems a total waste of what was a good site. Having said that I feel that this site is a breath of fresh air. Thanks Arty:)

Back