FYI - WetCanvas

You folks are dangerously close to slipping into the twilight of paranoia.
Not sure how pointing out that admins of that site have the ability to read every message, private or not, classifies as paranoia. It's just an observation.

The only reassurances you can make are for your behavior. You don't know what anyone else is doing.

I worked the previous platform for over a decade and no one was reading PMs and, no, that site did not have the ability for staff to do such a thing should some person desire to do so.
That said, you honestly think staff had nothing better to do than read member PM's? For what? Were you all sharing secret paint recipes or State secrets? Come on, pull my other leg. :LOL:

" It's just an observation. "
What you're doing is feeding speculation and paranoia as well as questioning the ethics of every single staff member at the other site.
Is this really how you want to launch a new site- by casually smearing every volunteer staff person there ?

The previous decade and old software are irrelevant. And again, you can only speak for yourself.

You're exaggerating and rephrasing everything in this thread. Distorting and putting a spin on what others have said. That kind of thing undermines any credibility your statements could possibly have.

No one here killed your forum. Try to remember that. Being critical of this forum is like cursing the limousine that picked you up from the side of the road where your old jalopy broke down (for the last time).

No, I have not exaggerated anything, I have merely attempted to answer a question arty (who is now curiously silent) put forth here wondering why she had not received a definitive answer regarding PMs and also to those who followed up by suggesting there was something nefarious afoot. The definitive answer is that neither place read her PM's. The easiest explanation for how her use of the PM system came to light of management is that someone she PM'd reported it. It really is probably that simple. It is an age old adage often referred to as the K.I.S.S. Rule.

Whether the other site finds its bearings remains to be seen, but it is not dead by a long shot- the fact is many art communities have been struggling, it is a mere fact of the times with so much online competition. Call yourself a limo or anything else you desire it matters not to me.

Yes, I can speak for all staff at the former platform because I was there and you were not. End of story on that front.
It is curious that you continue to impugn the character of the volunteer staff at the other site while also inviting and accepting them as members here. Insulting them seems a strange way to treat your members.

For my part I request you remove my membership because this thread and particularly your posts, mjp, have proven this is not a place I wish to associate with any further. Others may not mind their character being questioned, I do.

Curiously silent? I was taking a nap! I don't control what people say, and I was told by someone on WC, who is a moderator that another moderator said I was "poaching" members from WC through private messages. I wanted to clarify how that was possible to know. And you were the one who suggested I could do so without it being found out.

I did not make any accusations, but asked Doug (the admin) repeatedly if it was possible if people could read whether or not I was doing this and he was curiously silent, as were you when I asked YOU. You also made a couple veiled threats about how I better not speak badly about WC here, which I found very condescending. I have not mentioned any of that here. I've been professional until you came out here and blew up and called us all paranoid. Then I made an angry face. That's what I'm "guilty" of.

I will delete your account. No problem.

If they're running the BuddyPress or bbPress forum plugin on WordPress (which they seem to be), by default, the WordPress admins can see everything on the site. That would include private messages.
I have heard as much. A member on WC... I think it was Derek... was pissed off when he found that a PM he had seen could be seen by others beside the intended audience. I suppose I'll meet Arty's fate as I have invited more than a few members to check out this site... although I made it clear that I wasn't asking them to abandon WC and that I was still a member there myself... although I've been laying low waiting to see if they can finally get their crap together.

St. Luke, I was doing the same (staying a member there also, as I am a member of many art forums) and stipulated in the few of my messages I sent that I was not trying to steal anyone away from WC at all. But now I'm a monster, so there you have it.

You and O.O be careful with your language...
There was an article posted in one of the newspapers some time back on a study done on which states swear the most. My guess was New Jersey. I lived there and have family there and heard a hell of a lot of swearing. And then you had The Sopranos. 😆 I must admit, however, that I wasn't surprised when it came out that Ohioans swore the most. My studio mates and I drop F-bombs like they are going out of style... in spite of us both being school teachers. We're just very good at knowing where and when. You wouldn't want to have listened in when I was painting the new studio and tacking down the rugs. 🤬

My uncle was asked to cut out the swear words during a Job Centre (unemployment welfare benefit) interview, but he was so accustomed to swearing (virtually every second word) he was unable to string two words together.

You ever heared this one:
- What is the difference between BRITISH English and AMERICAN English?
Answer:
- British English goes: "S-P-O" / Subject-Predicate-Object.
While American English goes: "S-F-P-F-O" / Subject-Fuckin'-Predicate-Fuckin'-Object.
British Arse, ones backside
American Ass, a small donkey

At times, on Wet Canvas, that site that is portrayed to be so open-minded, and informative, used to come down on my comments quite often during the simple discussions, and arguments regarding such mundane things as "Primary Colors", and "painting mediums". One of the mods would actually try to bait me into confrontations, so that I could be legally accused of violating the "user agreement" with my more emphatic comments, and thus be banned. It was during that time that I took my discussions "underground", to the Private Message feature, so that I could calmly, and logically discuss those topics with other, interested artists, without being bludgeoned with threats of dismissal from the Mod.

It worked very well, and many other. polite, interested artists, and I were able to discuss topics, in an intelligent, calm manner, without interference from the administration, using the PM function. At one time, I could have used a SECRETARY to keep track of all my sent, and received messages on the PM feature! One time, on one forum, I posted an invitation for someone to "Please check your PM's", only to be accused by a Mod, that I have "violated the user agreement,", by having mentioned that. When I asked that he point me to the area of the user's agreement that forbade the making of such a suggestion, they couldn't, and so, I told them I probably would continue to do so, thus leading to a swift threat to ban me, just for being "insubordinate,", I suppose. Forget all the demos, articles, threads, and technical advice that I had offered to others who asked for help--I would be banned for offering advice, via PM's.

Needless to say, I continued to offer advice, and to carry on discussions via PM; however, I was extremely careful NOT to suggest to anyone that they "Check their PM's", in the open forum!:sneaky:. I did this for a very long time, as I recall.

So, gosh, if there was ever the slightest CHANCE that the contents of my PM's could, or would, be seen on the screens of the Administration of Wet Canvas, I would be deeply concerned!:eek:

Last edited:
By the way, "swearing" is OK by me, and I often use it for emphasis (sometimes more than I should), but when swear words occur in nearly every sentence, or post, it gets to be almost like "army lingo", and it not only loses its emphasis, but it quickly becomes tiring to deal with. I once watched a movie that someone had recommended. It was so full of profanities that I actually became weary of following it, and turned it off.

So, gosh, if there was ever the slightest CHANCE that the contents of my PM's could, or would, be seen on the screens of the Administration of Wet Canvas, I would be deeply concerned!:eek:
That was the old Wet Canvas, I'd be very cautious about doing that on the new platform.

The old forum did not have the ability to read PMs because that's not how VBulletin worked. That is what the old forum ran on. But the new platform, they do have that ability. However, who know if any were actually read. Jon was offended that it was even suggested, not that I ever accused anyone. I just wanted to know if that was how I was found out about asking people to join us here. I got several different stories, so yes, I was suspicious and I don't think I was so out of line by asking for confirmation as to whether or not it was possible or if that was how it occurred. But whatever.

Yes, they do have the ability to do it on the new forum platform, which they've only had for a little while. I know they did not have that ability on the old platform though, just FYI. As to whether anyone actually read PMs on this new platform, that's a matter of hearsay and trust.

But that is all in the past and we should just move on. IMO. I already feel like I should feel ashamed or something, like I did something wrong by asking anyone to come here or even mention WC here in the first place. I shouldn't have told anyone I was banned.

Back