Drawing from life studies

rodhlann

IMG_20220122_163637.jpg
IMG_20220119_004801.jpg
IMG_20220119_004731.jpg
IMG_20220114_130745.jpg

Spent the last week traveling to Costa Rica and back to visit some family, and had a few long layovers.

I've also spent a lot of the last few months refreshing on fundamentals and trying to grow my visual library, and have been really enjoying really drawing from life for the first time.

All pieces done with mechanical pencil on various drawing pads, inked (where applicable) with micron 03 / 005 pens.

These are super. Sketchbooks record memories in such a special way. Thanks for sharing. Airports are great places to sketch.

I wanted to get more drawings done I'm Costa Rica, more like a drawing journal to keep memories instead of relying on my camera, but the trip itself ended up being far too hectic to draw every day. I do like doing these small scenes though.

A lovely set of drawings, thank you for sharing. I love drawing from life too.

These are really interesting rodhlann. Very good work. I hope you had a great time in Costa Rica! :)
Costa Rica was incredible! I'd definitely recommend visiting. Truly a beautiful place with kind locals and good eats.
A lovely set of drawings, thank you for sharing. I love drawing from life too.
I only just started drawing from life like this, since I've been reading it's one of the best ways to improve your visual library and mind's eye and I'm really interested in getting to a point where I can draw from imagination 😄

I like all of these and particularly appreciate the intricacies of the air terminal architecture. Very nice perspective!

I like all of these and particularly appreciate the intricacies of the air terminal architecture. Very nice perspective!
I really like the sweeping curves I was seeing in a lot of those buildings. Makes for interesting sketches for sure

I used to make endless rapid sketches from life... filled with notations on color, etc... Anytime I visited a museum or gallery I would make sketches of works that really grabbed me with all sorts of comments. Cell phones made me lazy as I always have access to a camera. I suspect that is true of many others. I really need to get back into the swing of drawing from observation again.

I used to make endless rapid sketches from life... filled with notations on color, etc... Anytime I visited a museum or gallery I would make sketches of works that really grabbed me with all sorts of comments. Cell phones made me lazy as I always have access to a camera. I suspect that is true of many others. I really need to get back into the swing of drawing from observation again.
Motivating to do the drawing and sketches when out and about is definitely a struggle, but improving is so difficult just sitting at home I feel like for me it's a necessity if I want to get better.

Back