Crits please: A Few Trees

ntl

Contributing Member
A Few Trees Oil on Canvas 16 x 20" Critique, please. thoughts, ideas, suggestions appreciated. What you like, what you really do not like, what it needs, etc. Are the colors and values, perspective okay? There's no story here, no focal point, just a scene. Thanks for looking. (It's a bit washed out on V left.)

thumbnail_IMG_6842.jpg

I particularly like the foreground rocks, they are very well done !
The tree trunks are also very good.
Cheers,
Patricia

Since I don't paint in oils, I can't critique that portion. This is based on what I see on my screen, in real life it might be a different persepctive. I think the green forest in the back should be pushed back more - via more muted colors. More contrast in the forefront (shadows). I love the creek/water - lots of beautiful movement there

The rocks are so nicely done and the texture of the tree trunks too. I'm not sure about the diagonal tree trunks on the ground but it's up to you as to how much of that kind of thing to include. I like the movement in the water too and think you created a very peaceful scene.

I like this very much. Peaceful and well done. The diagonal is confusing .. a path or waterdrain?? Overall I like your textures, colors and technique.

I like this! Good drawing and brushwork. The lit up background foliage is convincing for a bit of backlighting. However, the direction of the light in the foreground could be more defined. It appears to be coming from the right side.

Thanks, All!
Patricia, It really helps, knowing what works, what doesn’t. I’m glad you like them-and the trunks. Thanks for saying.

CaliAnne, Interesting point. Would you suggest a red glaze on that foliage, perhaps a dark red? Maybe even Aliz. Crimson? Or a blue? Or some other way to adjust? You’re right about the foreground. Good catch, I did forget the shadows. I’ll work on it. Thanks for your comment re the stream, I'm glad you like it.

Donna, thanks! I’m pleased to know the rocks, trunks, and water are representational! I appreciate your question re the mossy trunks on the ground, esp. that you see them as such. I’ve not been sure of them mainly due to the angle, seemingly pointing as they do. Thanks for mentioning mood, I was hoping to portray that.

Arty, Thank you. You honor me.

Jo, Thanks, and for mentioning the mood it inspires in you, too. Yes, those dead trees are confusing. They gotta be adjusted somehow. :)

Mr. B, Thanks for commenting on the composition and brushwork. I need to work on the lighting. The intent is for it to portray somewhat dappled light from the right, and behind. I agree, some adjustments need made.

Thank you all.

Would you suggest a red glaze on that foliage, perhaps a dark red? Maybe even Aliz. Crimson? Or a blue? Or some other way to adjust?
muted/dull blues, grays and purple colors tend to push things to the back

Back