Daisies in a Blue Vase

ntl

Contributing Member
Trying watercolor. I generally use wc for small studies, 4×6, 5×7. I can probably count the florals I’ve done on one finger, so I’m really in over my head. All help is greatly appreciated. I’m in a painting group, and a member is instructing in wc over 4 weeks. Mon Nov 13 is the second day.

two weeks ago he gave the people there the photo to transfer. I used graphite paper as it was my understanding that is what he used for transferring. Last week there were about 10 more people showed up, so he gave them pictures and the time was spent having them do their transfers, by using a graphite pencil on the back, then tracing it onto their paper. I have mine ready to go for Monday. Those ready to paint, could. So I used mine and over the next several days did this:

11×14″ on Fabriano acid free hot press paper –I’ve never used hot press paper either…

cb8irzknd95iyspthigicsgean8u4o9a.jpg

The blues are cerulean and thalo, in bottom V left, Prussian Blue over cerulean for the dark. Greens are sap, permanent green light, and hookers light, and a bit of yellow, (the dark greens) are Prussian blue. The flowers according to the photo ref are to be daisies, but I’m sorely tempted to make them Black-eyed Susans instead…
:yes:

The next photo is my thinking of what I’d like to do with the vase, using turquoise and ultramarine blue. Light is coming from the right. Would a different color vase be better?

And what do I do with all those white petals!? I’ve started adding a bit of gray from cad orange and ultramarine blue where I think there should be shadows, should I use other complements for different grays, and if so, what?

Your thoughts? All suggestions welcomed. Thanks for looking.

37br99s4top43v7uort1jdmlwl58zgp5.jpg

It's looking good so far! Are you building up colors in layers or applying them all at once? I like the glazed pottery look of the vase! One thing to consider is maybe letting some of the shadow colors blend to soften their edges when you get to that stage or even losing a few of the outlines of the white petals near the back. I hope you enjoy the class!

Thanks, Donna. So far all colors are being applied all one after another, no layering, and working to blend rather than leaving hard lines. I see some of the leaf stems need adjustment. I put mask on the glare of the vase and some petals at the base, getting ready to do the vase tomorrow if I have time. Good reminder on the shadows and blending for softer edges. I've worked on that on the drape, and even though it looks "better" to me, I'm not satisfied, and may work on it a bit more.

Thanks, JStarr, I appreciate your stopping in. This group is usually about 6-8 people. There were twice + that many for this instruction, from rank beginners to more accomplished artists.

WOW!!! So far, this is looking FAN-tastic! ♥️ I am super impressed with how well all your greens have turned out. I can't wait to see how it looks finished. I personally love the color of how you want to do the vase, but maybe it's too close in color in the background? I wouldn't want to really suggest the color orange (kinda too obvious to pick that as a compliment), but perhaps it can be an orange base, or a brown-orange/rust-type color. Then pick up that Ultramarine blue on the surface area.

Looking really great so far! You're doing very well here with those greens.

I like Arty's suggestions about the vase colors, or even go darker so it stands out from the background. I don't work with watercolors so I don't know if it's even possible to go with another color once something is laid down.

I also like your idea of painting the flowers as Black-Eyed Susans - one of my favorites, and the sketch seems to support that. :)

Have fun!

WOW!!! So far, this is looking FAN-tastic! ♥️ I am super impressed with how well all your greens have turned out. I can't wait to see how it looks finished. I personally love the color of how you want to do the vase, but maybe it's too close in color in the background? I wouldn't want to really suggest the color orange (kinda too obvious to pick that as a compliment), but perhaps it can be an orange base, or a brown-orange/rust-type color. Then pick up that Ultramarine blue on the surface area.
I think the vase can go that blue, but maybe the "highlights" on its surface could be the same orange-tinged yellow of the daisies- that *should* work; it doesn't matter if that isn't what your reference says, it matters what works harmony-wise.

"If the value is right on any highlights, the colour doesn't matter"- and the yellow would really work.

This is coming along very nicely. I can't really critique watercolor, but I do like your greens and the blues, too. Applause.

Thanks All, I appreciate the comments. I agree with Arty about the blue background. I'm so glad this is study!
From the large size, to the hot pressed paper, to lifting and washes, and whatever else comes along. I've changed that dark blue background which I wasn't happy with, and don't know that I'm any happier. Maybe it needs to be a chiaroscuro instead. That may be next, but maybe this 140lb paper has had about enough...
Anyway, here's the next version. NOW I think doing the vase in cerulian would not work at all...:(
I'm including the vase for comparison. Again, your thoughts are helpful and appreciated.
I do have a drawing ready to go tomorrow to paint along with the group.

thumbnail_IMG_7150.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7144.jpg

They're really too close, aren't they?

It’s looking lovely so far. Love working on hot press. I don’t do layering so not much help there. This blue vase above by itself looks great.

Hi, Kay, thanks for stopping in, and for your supportive comments. I'm not layering--oops-- except for that dark blue background--I did add a bit of white to it. I think I may have a way to handle the vase now. Yes, I think I like the hot press paper, too. I have a lot, and it will get used.
I'd like to find the soft press, but DBlick doesn't seem to have it.

Back