Concrete Bird Feeder – Update 2023-11-11 - The Right Leg Realistic Part

Hermes2020

In the last update I showed my method of making moulds from foam board for the realistic elements. I used the mould for the right leg as an example to illustrate the technique. In today's update I will show how that mould was lined with concrete and how the element was demoulded.

Right Leg 1.jpg

The mould was lined with a 15mm layer of concrete. In this photo, and most of the others, I've included a white credit card as a scale reference.

1-1.jpg

There is a roughened wide flange of concrete all around the edge, as well as some stainless wire lugs, that will reinforce the bond when the part is joined to the flat element with cement paste.

4-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

6-1.jpg

This photo shows the position of the knee plate that will be embedded in the flat slab part of the leg.

2-1.jpg

There will be a mounting bracket fixed to the bottom of the knee plate before it is embedded.

There will also be a mounting plate embedded at the foot end.

3-1.jpg

Removing the sacrificial mould parts:

7-1.jpg

The foam board breaks away easily.

The demoulded leg, showing the typical random mottling I like so much:

8-1.jpg

In spite of being slightly larger than life size, this element only weighs 10 kg.

9-1.jpg

10-1.jpg

Please ask for clarification if anything is unclear.

I love the result, its appearance, it looks like an ancient statue, very precious and even heavier than its actual weight. and it has a useful and beautiful function.
formidable job

I love the result, its appearance, it looks like an ancient statue, very precious and even heavier than its actual weight. and it has a useful and beautiful function.
formidable job
Thank you, Joe. Part of my inspiration was ancient Greek sculptures, so you have picked up on that. The feeling is enhanced by the mottling effect that the concrete develops when it cures.

I've read this through twice now and am just in awe of your vision and this whole process, Hermes. I never knew what a demoulded leg is or that it could be so ancient-looking, graceful and beautiful!

I've read this through twice now and am just in awe of your vision and this whole process, Hermes. I never knew what a demoulded leg is or that it could be so ancient-looking, graceful and beautiful!
Thank you, Donna. I am enjoying the process as much as the end result, but I must admit that, although I like to plan down to the last detail, it sometimes needs quick on-the-fly decisions. By demould I mean taking the cast object out of its mould.

Thank you for all this information. It's fascinating to read about and see your photos. What a process!

I'm with Donna: just that graceful, gorgeous human leg is a work of art!

So graceful and solid- a terrific combination to, yes, make it appear to be in the same class as Greek statuary. Well done- hard to wait to see the finished piece.

Back