Concrete Bird Feeder – Update 2023-09-22

Hermes2020

This update is about the making of one of the elements of the sculpture, the right side torso. It is one of the abstract elements, so just a simple flat slab of 20 mm thickness. Here I have shown it in pale gold:

Right Torso.jpg

It has four 30 mm stainless steel connector washers embedded halfway in the thickness of the slab.

This photo shows the sacrificial mould on the left, with the finished cast on the right. The bottom of the mould is paper with the profile printed on it. The walls are 20 mm wide strips of bent 3 mm foam board, glued to the base with white PVA glue. The wooden blocks are glued around the perimeter to the paper base to support the walls when the concrete is poured. As a release agent, the mould bottom and walls are given three coats of gloss varnish, to which cured concrete does not stick at all. To prevent buckling, the base paper is mounted on thick PVC sheet (not shown in the photo) with Scotch Spray Mount adhesive spray.

DSC_6258 a.jpg

The photo also shows one of the PVC electrical conduit connectors, held in place with 10 mm alignment bolts in the support sheet, to make the holes during the pouring. The stainless washers embedded in the concrete can be seen in the holes.

My previous offer of help and advice still stands, if anyone else here would like to tackle a similar project.

This still amazes me. I would love help with a sculptural project, but I'm afraid I would never tackle anything this complex. I'm working on my first floor sculpture, but it is made of found things. It still needs some kind of structure however, and I'm trying to figure it all out still. And still trying to decide if it's worth it. Your work and ideas are definitely worth executing. They are fantastic! ♥️

This still amazes me. I would love help with a sculptural project, but I'm afraid I would never tackle anything this complex. I'm working on my first floor sculpture, but it is made of found things. It still needs some kind of structure however, and I'm trying to figure it all out still. And still trying to decide if it's worth it. Your work and ideas are definitely worth executing. They are fantastic! ♥️
Thank you so much for saying good things. As for your own idea, I think it is worth it, not just for the end result, but for the learning experience when doing something different.

I find your work - amazing. Your craftsmanship is just beautiful to behold. I love the posture here, and your graceful lines. Sculpture is something way, way outside of my wheelhouse, so all I can do is stand up and CHEER when I see something so lovely! 👏

I find your work - amazing. Your craftsmanship is just beautiful to behold. I love the posture here, and your graceful lines. Sculpture is something way, way outside of my wheelhouse, so all I can do is stand up and CHEER when I see something so lovely! 👏
Wow, thank you Terri. Your words are so welcome after a busy morning pouring another, bigger part. I am taking slow steps, because I don't want to make any stupid mistakes and be forced to redo any elements.

Wow! I like how you think! What a fabulous project. Thank you for sharing- breaking down- your process. Man, this is going to be gorgeous!

Thank you again, guys. And Terri, I definitely don't practise the art of false modesty: I know that I am good at certain things and am never embarrassed when others tell me that. However, in a project like this, I am convinced that the art is in the concept (a good one in this case, I believe) and that the execution just requires some know-how and, above all, staying power.

Thank you again, guys. And Terri, I definitely don't practise the art of false modesty: I know that I am good at certain things and am never embarrassed when others tell me that. However, in a project like this, I am convinced that the art is in the concept (a good one in this case, I believe) and that the execution just requires some know-how and, above all, staying power.
And bravery and patience and focus and attention to detail and skill and precision and creativity and love and care and stamina and tenacity and brilliance... should I keep going? Not everyone can do this. It seems like anyone can do it, but not everyone does, and there's a good reason for that. ;)

And bravery and patience and focus and attention to detail and skill and precision and creativity and love and care and stamina and tenacity and brilliance... should I keep going? Not everyone can do this. It seems like anyone can do it, but not everyone does, and there's a good reason for that. ;)
Wow, I am overwhelmed by that! Thank you so much, your words are much appreciated.

Back