Concrete Bird Feeder – Update 2023-10-17

Hermes2020

I have been working on the bird feeder's most complex element, the right arm and hand. One of the design challenges was obtaining a smooth transition between the realistic Greek sculpture inspired arm and shoulder and the abstract slices of the hand. Another was making the mould for the arm, which is something I've never done before. I will post a more detailed description of how I am making the moulds for the realistic elements. A pleasant accidental effect that pleases me vey much is the uncontrolled development of colours in the concrete as it cures. I have read that it has to do with minerals in the tap water I use to make the concrete mixture.

Here is a photo of the whole arm and shoulder. The arm is hollow, with orthopaedic plates inside. The weight is 11 kg.

Right Arm and Hand.jpg

The bracket that will hold the feeder tray is part of the hand element and is an extension of the front arm plate.

The flat part of the shoulder has an embedded plate with three captive M10 stainless nuts for the connecting threaded rods. I have screwed in the middle rod to illustrate.

Right Arm with Rod.jpg

I think the contour of the shoulder is rather beautiful and I hope it will encourage people to touch it.

Right Shoulder Contour.jpg

Right Shoulder.jpg

In one of my next updates I will describe the mould making procedure I have developed. As usual, I will be happy answer any questions and describe any unclear steps in more detail.

This is turning out to be amazing. When you post the next photos, post something with it for size comparison. I'm liking it so far. (y) ❤️

This is turning out to be amazing. When you post the next photos, post something with it for size comparison. I'm liking it so far. (y) ❤️
Thank you! That's an excellent suggestion. I was also thinking recently that I should include something as a size comparison, but then I got side tracked, as usual. Can you think of something everyone could relate to? I was thinking of a music CD, but mine are all packed away somewhere since I converted them to FLAC files and play them with my network player. For these larger pieces the mm markings on a ruler would not show too well. For instance, the threads on the rod show clearly in my photo, but I can't see them in the posted photo.

I just read that credit cards are the same size in all countries to ensure compatibility in ATMs when one travels. I propose including a credit card in my photos from now on, unless anyone here has a better suggestion.

I just read that credit cards are the same size in all countries to ensure compatibility in ATMs when one travels. I propose including a credit card in my photos from now on, unless anyone here has a better suggestion.
Just make sure it is an old credit card so you can black out the number and info. (y)

Just make sure it is an old credit card so you can black out the number and info. (y)
I have a plastic access pass card that is exactly credit card size with my photo on it. I will use the reverse, which is plain white, so it will not be distracting in the photo.

Jeez! That is so beautiful...stunningly aesthetic. I am very interested in your next steps. ♥️
Thank you so much, Arty. I have started making the moulds for the right leg and foot and I'm taking photos as I go along. My procedure may be of interest to those who are thinking of doing something similar.

Formidable.

ballpoint?, smartphone? Pencil?
a fruit, one apple?
Thanks, Joe. Also, good suggestions, but the credit card size is universally standardized and unobtrusive, so I have started using a plain white one. I realize now that simply writing the size of the object below the photo isn't enough.

Amazing to look at. I'm glad you want to encourage people to touch this piece, because it's just irresistible to me even at this stage, An incredible work already.

I like your card idea - something easy that our global community can relate to, size-wise.

Amazing to look at. I'm glad you want to encourage people to touch this piece, because it's just irresistible to me even at this stage, An incredible work already.

I like your card idea - something easy that our global community can relate to, size-wise.
Thank you Terri. I appreciate your words of encouragement.

Back