Concrete Bird Feeder – Update 2023-10-28 - Making Moulds for Realistic Parts

Hermes2020

This post describes in detail how I make moulds for the realistic elements in my concrete sculptures. As an illustration of the process I will use my bird feeder's right leg, half of which is realistic, and half is an abstract flat slab that extends up and becomes a part of the torso.

1.jpg

The first step is to generate contour lines, similar to those seen on terrain maps. I use Rhino 3D software to do all these operations.

2.jpg

The curves are printed on A0 size paper and pasted onto foam board. The leg does not need high resolution, so I used 10mm foam board. The foot was done separately on 3mm foam board, since the toes needed higher resolution. The final mould was made by joining the leg and foot parts. The many foam board layers were glued together using registration guidelines to ensure precise alignment.

3.jpg

To illustrate my procedure, I will slice the model at the red slicing plane to show a cross section of the layers.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

The 10mm steps are obviously not wanted on a realistic element, so some kind of filler paste has to be applied. After some experimentation, I found that tile adhesive has the right properties as well as being quite inexpensive. This image shows how I apply the filler to even out the steps. To show it clearly, I am showing the filler in a gold colour.

7.jpg

Here are some real world photos I took to when I was implementing the above steps. This one shows the leg and foot layers glued together in proper alignment. I can easily achieve a precision of 1 mm in this process. The accuracy is a bit less important that the precision, but is also in the order of 1 mm. As promised, most photos contain a plain white credit card as a scale indicator. The body parts are slightly larger than life size.

DSC_6274_result.jpg

DSC_6275_result.jpg

DSC_6277_result.jpg

DSC_6283_result.jpg

Here I am starting to apply the filler, which is an adhesive powder one mixes with water when tiling. I like it to be the consistency of peanut butter. I use soft silicone kitchen spatulas to apply the filler. The key is patience: I build up the walls in a number of applications that are allowed to dry between applications. That way a smooth surface that does not require much sanding is achieved.

DSC_6286_result.jpg

As a last coat I apply a layer of very fine textured crack filler to get the final smooth surface. Here the foot and leg are shown with the wooden strips glued on to give a rigid connection.

DSC_6289_result.jpg

Finally, I apply at least three coats of gloss varnish to get a finish that does not need any mould release to prevent the concrete from sticking. A disadvantage of this type of mould is that I can only manage one cast from it.

Apologies for this rather long post, but I hope it will be of some interest. I would welcome any suggestions that will help me improve my process. I am aware that it is radically different from the traditional way taught at art schools, but it works for me and does not need expensive silicone moulding products.

Oh don't worry that it was a long post. It was fascinating to see how you do this. That takes a lot of patience but the result is wonderful! Thanks for sharing the process!

Oh don't worry that it was a long post. It was fascinating to see how you do this. That takes a lot of patience but the result is wonderful! Thanks for sharing the process!
You are welcome. I am glad to hear you found it interesting.

Oh my gosh what a process! I'm floored by the amount of engineering (and probably math) required for this. It's already amazing!

Wow! What patience and precision. In many ways, the imaging reminds me MRI pictures. Maybe that's how you make it look like a human being :ROFLMAO:. Thank you for taking us through the process and cycle of how you create these fantastic parts, as they have to be perfectly balanced and planned out. The whole thing is so far over my head, that I feel foolish even commenting. 🤪

Wow! What patience and precision. In many ways, the imaging reminds me MRI pictures. Maybe that's how you make it look like a human being :ROFLMAO:. Thank you for taking us through the process and cycle of how you create these fantastic parts, as they have to be perfectly balanced and planned out. The whole thing is so far over my head, that I feel foolish even commenting. 🤪
Thanks, Arty. Yes, it is rather like an MRI! Incidentally, NMR (nuclear magnetic resonance) is a related and widely used analytical technique in organic chemistry. It is one of a battery of techniques we use to do structural elucidation; it was one of my favourites when I was doing research.

I didn't know that. (I mean, I kinda did from documentaries), but it's still so fascinating.

This is very interesting and absolutely fascinating ! Thank you so much Hermes.
Cheers
Patricia

Patricia, thank you so much. It gives me great pleasure to share my procedures in the hope that some other members will be motivated to make 3D objects as well.

Such a painstaking approach- and to only get one casting is amazing- one roll of the dice- wow!

I could never do that kind of work- I'm waaay to slap-dash- but you make it look generally easy, now do this, now do that- when, to my eyes, it would be one ill-measurement away from disaster ALL THE TIME.

Good work here- I'll nail bite for you so you can work in serenity.... ;)

Such a painstaking approach- and to only get one casting is amazing- one roll of the dice- wow!

I could never do that kind of work- I'm waaay to slap-dash- but you make it look generally easy, now do this, now do that- when, to my eyes, it would be one ill-measurement away from disaster ALL THE TIME.

Good work here- I'll nail bite for you so you can work in serenity.... ;)
Ha, thank you so much. It helps that I am extremely patient, if nothing else.

Back