Concrete Bird Feeder Part 4 – Making Connections

Hermes2020

“Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se.”
Charles Eames

Given that concrete is not as forgiving of stresses as metal, the key to making a durable concrete garden sculpture is connecting the parts in a safe way that will survive the elements outdoors for many years. In this sculpture there are two types of concrete elements: those that have orthopaedic plates at the locations of the threaded rod connectors, and those that are without plates. Each type presents a different challenge to prevent stresses on the rods from cracking the concrete around the entry and exit points of the rods.

For the parts with plates, I have devised the following connection.

Plate Connector 1.jpg

Copper tubing of 22mm diameter, cut to the correct lengths, will be used as spacers between the plates. The plates are embedded firmly in the 20mm thick concrete slices and they will take the strain of the connections, not the concrete.

Plate Connector 2.jpg

Plate Connector 3.jpg

For the concrete elements that do not have embedded plates, I will use the same solution I used for the pool sculpture, where I did not use plates. At each connection point, a 30mm stainless steel washer will be embedded halfway in the concrete slice. For added stability, 3mm copper rods embedded in the concrete will anchor the washer securely.

Non-Plate Connector 1.jpg

Non-Plate Connector 2.jpg

Non-Plate Connector 3.jpg

Here is an X-ray of the embedded washer in the 20mm concrete slice.

Non-Plate Connector 4.jpg

There will be anchoring brackets embedded in the feet and the right knee to fix the sculpture to concrete pads buried in the garden soil.

Last edited:
I look to you with envy, admiration, and inspiration. You really do blow my mind. I also love the Eames quote. I've been looking for that chair of yours (second hand, of course), but can't find one in my price range as of yet :ROFLMAO: ! I actually want the wider one--the ES107, but good luck honing it down to all the luck on the Earth. Ha ha.

Can't wait to see this project come to fruition!

I look to you with envy, admiration, and inspiration. You really do blow my mind. I also love the Eames quote. I've been looking for that chair of yours (second hand, of course), but can't find one in my price range as of yet :ROFLMAO: ! I actually want the wider one--the ES107, but good luck honing it down to all the luck on the Earth. Ha ha.

Can't wait to see this project come to fruition!
Thank you so much! I agree, the ES107 is wonderful and really comfortable. Are you familiar with the Eames Aluminium Group chairs? I have a few of the EA116 ones and also the EA105 ones as dining chairs. The Aluminium Group chairs are wonders of engineering and I adore them.

ea116-001.jpg

Those are very elegant, though you can't beat the comfort of those lobby chairs. I like sitting cross-legged in my desk chairs, which is why I was searching for that wider one. Someone was selling a green one on Etsy the other day for a mere thousand, but he took it down the next day. :(

Back