Closed Eye Techniques & Info

So I read the thread and thought I'd use a failed painting as the base, 120x80cm I thinkšŸ™‚. I'd already slapped on some white. Headphones on, music on shuffle, cos I like to be surprised and respond to the different tempos, laid the canvas on the floor,used both hands, a pencil in one and a charcoal pencil in the other and started. Fun it wasšŸ™‚. Anyway using the same colours that were used on the failed base - some bits which I've left showing through, I started painting with acrylic and here is where I am, it's not quite finished but I thought I'd try and upload a couplle of wip shots

Attachments

• 20200718_143145.jpg
    20200718_143145.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Here are the pencil marks. Normally if I'm using pencils or charcoal for lines I use them after I've painted and with my eyes openšŸ˜ so this was an interesting change for me which I think I'll do again

Attachments

• 20200718_191629.jpg
    20200718_191629.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 157
I dug this out from my art book library.

The following is from David (not the WetCanvas) Friendā€™s ā€œThe creative way to paintā€.

1 Improvise in line

Masters, old and modern, recognized the need, at times, to turn aside from concentrating directly and consciously on three-dimensional subject matter. They did this to allow the unconscious to express itself.

Leonardo da Vinci advised his students to look at rocks and clouds, where you can see landscapes in great variety, figures in action, and infinite variety of things.

.ā€¦

Evoke an image from your own lines

Thereā€™s a right way, and a wrong way, to prepare your own improvised lines. To evoke some kind of image, the lines should be spread out. The association between the lines and an idea comes mostly from the contour of the lines, and these contours need space around them to be seen.

If youā€™re in a hurry to get your lines down on paper because you want to see what image you can create, Iā€™m afraid youā€™re going to be disappointed. Youā€™ll probably end up with nothing. The reason will be obvious if you give it a momentā€™s thought. Either you won't have enough lines to suggest the contours of objects, or you'll have too many confusing lines, which wonā€™t give your imagination a chance to function. In either case, you may think the method is not for you; or worse still, you may believe you have no imagination. This would be an unfortunate conclusion, for it isnā€™t true.

I suggest that you proceed according to the advice of the late Florence Cane, a dedicated art teacher who bought the improvised line idea over from England.

If youā€™re right handed, place the charcoal in your left hand. The reason for this is that we want no habitual control in the line youā€™re about to produce. Touch the charcoal anywhere on the paper. Now, close your eyes and ā€œtake a walkā€ with a line. Don't run. Make a continuous line at random. Do it slowly. Donā€™t think of any subject. Be sure, however, to touch, or come close to, all four edges of the sheet at some point in your wandering, even if you have to grope for the edges.

When youā€™ve made your first improvisation, perhaps you'll find thereā€™s not enough continuous line; now you may add a line, with your eyes open, to fill the paper. However, if youā€™ve been too hasty and placed too many lines on the paper, do another improvisation. Or if you think you can retrieve your original improvisation, erase some lines.

ā€¦. Sit back quietly and look with half-closed eyes at what youā€™ve done. What picture, or pictures, do your lines suggest? Remember, your imagination works best when all tensions are dropped. You see more when you don't consciously try to see. Donā€™t struggle for ideas, let them come to you effortlessly. Before you make a final decision, turn the paper upside down, and to both sides. Work for whichever view you prefer.

Here are a couple of pictures from this book that may help.

P1100132.JPG

P1100133.JPG

P1100137.JPG

Attachments

• P1100132.JPG
    P1100132.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 147
This is different than a method I created and used some time back doing expressionistic painting. The idea was not original as auto drawing is an old technique but how i interpreted the idea is my idea. I have not done one in quite some time but as I am doing nothing special at the time I think I will do one and document the process. Someone may find a starting point or inspiration to start their own version of eyes closed.

So I read the thread and thought I'd use a failed painting as the base, 120x80cm I thinkšŸ™‚. I'd already slapped on some white. Headphones on, music on shuffle, cos I like to be surprised and respond to the different tempos, laid the canvas on the floor,used both hands, a pencil in one and a charcoal pencil in the other and started. Fun it wasšŸ™‚. Anyway using the same colours that were used on the failed base - some bits which I've left showing through, I started painting with acrylic and here is where I am, it's not quite finished but I thought I'd try and upload a couplle of wip shots
GREAT !
I already see the trapezoidal, cresents and other shapes that I get most of the time.

It is obiviously a product of sweeping and tight curving strokes and the creator's choice as to which ones to pick out.

I can see how this would vary from person to person because in just looking at your pencil lines, I can see other, larger, shapes of that type arranged differently. Great fun.

2 Claude J Greengrass

That book seems like a very good resource and I am glad to learn of it; Thanks for posting it.

However, I would take exception to some of the points i.e.'Thereā€™s a right way, and a wrong way,..' which I would like to discuss later.

2 Claude J Greengrass

That book seems like a very good resource and I am glad to learn of it; Thanks for posting it.

However, I would take exception to some of the points i.e.'Thereā€™s a right way, and a wrong way,..' which I would like to discuss later.
I found "The creative way to paintā€ and "Composition: A Painter's Guide to Basic Problems and Solutions" useful. The price, used has taken a hit since I purchased my copies.

Take exception with David Friend; not my words.

I was thinking this is an open tread where we could put our views but before I do that I should ask if that is how it works around here. I'm relatively new here and don't want to hijack anyone's tread.

I found "The creative way to paintā€ and "Composition: A Painter's Guide to Basic Problems and Solutions" useful. The price, used has taken a hit since I purchased my copies.

Take exception with David Friend; not my words.
My apologies !
I am dismayed that I did not make it clear that I was refering to Friend's words, and not you personaly in any way.
I thought the exact quote of the words in the book would put it in the proper context, but I can see now that I should have made it more explicit.
No offense or aspersions intended; Sorry about that.

I am glad to hear you say that the price has taken a hit; I was just about to look it up and order, if within my range.

Regards

I was thinking this is an open tread where we could put our views but before I do that I should ask if that is how it works around here. I'm relatively new here and don't want to hijack anyone's tread.
Hey Enyaw
As a peasant around here, and speaking for no one else, I think we are supposed to stick to the title of the thread.
To me that means a sort of a collection of 'how to's , 'what worked for me', 'this is the way I did it', and tips that taken altogether will amount to a resource.

But, as I say, that is just my take FWIW, and I hope it does not offened anyone (for which I seem to have a talent).
Maybe a moderator can give us the correct view or guideance as to what is appropriate.

My apologies !
I am dismayed that I did not make it clear that I was refering to Friend's words, and not you personaly in any way.
I thought the exact quote of the words in the book would put it in the proper context, but I can see now that I should have made it more explicit.
No offense or aspersions intended; Sorry about that.

I am glad to hear you say that the price has taken a hit; I was just about to look it up and order, if within my range.

Regards
No problems. Apologies accepted.

Unfortunately the 'hit' is the wrong way. Composition is still affordable but ā€œThe creative way to paintā€ is starting to be not affordable.

Trier - regarding the shapes, it is also why I chose to work on a bigger canvas, it gave me the freedom to make larger continuous lines and curves and to spread out a bitšŸ™‚. I might try a small paper piece and see how it goes when I have to curb my strokesšŸ™‚

Trier - regarding the shapes, it is also why I chose to work on a bigger canvas, it gave me the freedom to make larger continuous lines and curves and to spread out a bitšŸ™‚. I might try a small paper piece and see how it goes when I have to curb my strokesšŸ™‚
I have tried big and small so far, and I find that the bigger the better for me, for the reasons you give.

I plan to go really large and see what happens, with the idea that I could choose sections or cut up shapes and possibly use

them as collage in another area or section or whatever.

No problem. I'll just start a new thread if and when I get to it. Thank you.
Geez . . .I feel like I put a damper on you wanting to post something here, which would be the last thing I want to happen.
Thanks for taking it in stride and hope I catch whatever you post
Regards,
Trier

I think the thread can take its natural path, but its really up to you guys on how organized you want to keep things.

re; Sailing The South Seas.
P1000571SailingInSouthSeas.JPG
P1000571SailingInSouthSeasDetail.JPG The detail is too blurry to show much of the underlying composition lines from the closed eye start.

As I said in the original post, this was probably my first attempt at using the closed eye technique, but It was only a partial. because I looked a number of times to see what was happening.

After I found and located the sails and hull, I restarted on the water to get more movement. I kept track of not going above the horizon by holding my left forearm on the horizon, obviously using only the right hand to draw with the pencil.

I did a lot of open eye adjustment on that small area of the blue headland in the background.

It wasn't a pure, total closed eye start, but I felt it opened up some doors for me.

Attachments

• P1000571SailingInSouthSeasDetail.JPG
    P1000571SailingInSouthSeasDetail.JPG
    310.1 KB · Views: 273
It wasn't a pure, total closed eye start, but I felt it opened up some doors for me.

Trier that was a part of the exercise tho wasn't it. To open some doors šŸ™‚ I like what you're doing with this

Back