Art and Drug Influences

Mississippi Hippie

How do you feel about drugs of any kind and Art? I don’t know what to think.. and me is to whom it matters. Idk if you should say personal experiences while online.. I think drugs can be dangerous and debilitating.. maybe it is not a user’s choice..
do you think Art can open up gateways like drugs? The other way around?
share your opinions..?

Drugs have been used to create, enjoy and even promote arts for as long as humans have been making art, it would appear. I can't prove that the first cave paintings almost 50,000 years ago involved drugs, but there's plenty of evidence for substance use in cultures going back about 10,000 years. And if you look at "modern" times you can see plenty of examples, some well documented too. And don't forget that alcohol is also a drug, as is caffeine, etc.

It's not trite to posit that when you go to a gallery opening and you drink their wine you are giving one example of 2 of those purposes. I'd be totally gobsmacked if some of those immersive art shows weren't fueled for some by substances. Don't try to tell me that most of the rock concerts aren't performed on drugs.

Goya's work is quite evidently influenced by scopolamine substances, for example. You don't need to fast forward to the 60s for psychedelics in use for all 3 purposes. Plenty done and documented from at least the 1700s on in the West, and I'd bet much earlier in Asian art, plus indigenous ceremonies involving artistic expression and drugs from only God knows how far back everywhere.

I've certainly done some work on alcohol and wouldn't confess to more than that publicly, but well, I am a boomer, so take your own conclusions. Cannabis is legal in California (at least at state level and not enforced here for federal restrictions). Lord only knows how much art is being created and consumed here along with the intoxicants. It's intriguing to ponder how my art might change were I to paint on grass, but I'm not in the market for doing that.

Hallucinogens have fueled countless writers. I'd be cautious about using them to create or consume art, however, or for that matter any substance that alters the mind in the wrong settings or by folks with various conditions that might be exacerbated by the drugs, and that includes alcohol. Around here there are quite a few professionals who "microdose" on them and go to work that way and claim it makes them more creative. Obviously it can be done, but as an experienced therapist who has studied and worked with drug use for decades, I'm on the cautious side. Not absolutely against it, just cautious. If you're afraid of it, that's a clear enough reason to stay away from doing it, in my book.

I find the act of creation - the art process - to be intoxicating in and of itself. Some good works take my mind to far places similar to drug experiences too. Tell me that music doesn't transport you at times. Bet that works for many of you as well.

You asked for opinions and implied experience, so I'm giving mine, but not advising anyone. YMMV

Interesting . who knows in how many cases they have influenced, and who knows in how many cases without such influence what the result would have been.
and who knows also the reverse.
drugs have probably given a lot to art and perhaps have taken away as much or risked doing so.
even in the music all those very bright candles that burned too soon.
you quoted some music, true of how it alters perceptions.
coffee, alcohol, perhaps even endorphins, when exercising, or various pills, i.e. medicines such as legal tranquilizers can be a kind of drug.
the music makes me think of a story from 2008
, the mp3s that addicted to listening ,
I-Doser.
they called it, I think 15 years ago or early 2000s.
I had downloaded them but I didn't try them even if I think it was a hoax.
the audio beats were supposed to simulate the effect of some drugs.
on writing, they also influenced my favorite writer, some time ago I saw films with Jonny Deep, fear and loathing svegas.

I don't really mind admitting that I've made plenty of art while under many differing influences and stone-cold sober. I think some drugs can make you creative in a different way, or rather open to being able to tap into your creative sensibilities. I think it depends. You can be too drunk to paint too. You can be too baked as well. You can be high and think you have a great idea and wake up the next day and see that it wasn't a good idea at all. I think it depends. You can also not be able to make work unless you have a little help to get on your feet. I think it's just different for everyone and different depending on the day or what time of life you're in too.

I have a friend who paints children's furniture in beautiful, intricate patterns. All while stoned. She claims it helps her focus and keeps her longer in "the zone," which is a place we're all familiar with - and likely love being in!

I would never presume to judge on what works for others. People may want a substance to help loosen them up, make the daily life stuff recede so the art in front of them is all that matters. If it works for you, and you're not engaging in anything that's actually self-destructive, go for it. I'm positive I've loved art and music that only exists because the creator did what they needed to do in order to get it out. And I'm grateful!

I can only state that every little thing I've ever made has been while stone cold sober. If I'm buzzed on anything, I think that takes away from giving a process my full attention. Also - I work a lot in analog photography, and darkroom chemistry ain't no place to be while inebriated. ;) I could set myself on fire.

Once pot became legal in CA, it started to appear in places where my group paints. In one instance on our coast I was nearly knocked over by the strong smell of it coming out of a parked van ever time I passed and that door opened - even at 20 feet or more. Same on another instance elsewhere when waiting in the parking area. I was nearly overwhelmed by the smell and smoke from a nearby car. In both instances I put as much distance from them as I could safely do, not because I was offended, rather because I have to drive a long distance home and I refuse to drive when even mildly intoxicated. So you won't find me smokin' and jokin' for paintin' out there. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! LOL

Personally I'm not really into the whole recreational drug use thing.
However a few years ago after having a surgery and being on multiple prescriptions I got bored and made this.
9.jpg

So I guess if you're going to be high anyway you might as well try it.

Drugs is a big field..soft, hard, and in between. I read that Picasso and a group of artist sat around and smoked opium but later in life he found his friend hanging from a beam as the result of a bad trip. Apparantly he quit at that point. I read it but don't know if it's a truism or just false news as at times, the net is not a trustworthy source of information.

A bad opium trip? It doesn't really make sense that someone could fashion a noose when they are high on opium, so I wonder if that's even true.

A bad opium trip? It doesn't really make sense that someone could fashion a noose when they are high on opium, so I wonder if that's even true.
The two might not be connected. Opium one time, bad trip another. But I have no idea if this is true. "Bad trip" is a 60s expression, and unlikely to have been the term used prior to that for an untoward experience.

BTW, there was lots of experimentation among creatives from the 20s onward at least with various hallucinogens. Opium was always around. So the story might be half true, something happened and others misattributed or accreted the pieces.

Often people who have a predisposition to schizophrenia, if they smoke enough hashish, can have a psychotic breakdown. This has been said before. I don't know about the heroin, however. I know it's also true of pot. It's the THC, as there are hallucinogenic features of THC, believe it or not. Some with certain mental illnesses are very sensitive to it. People with schizoid-effective disorders.

Often people who have a predisposition to schizophrenia, if they smoke enough hashish, can have a psychotic breakdown. This has been said before. I don't know about the heroin, however. I know it's also true of pot. It's the THC, as there are hallucinogenic features of THC, believe it or not. Some with certain mental illnesses are very sensitive to it. People with schizoid-effective disorders.
Agreed. Unfortunately, many folks don't realize they are vulnerable until late teens or early 20s, and even then many refuse to accept their diagnoses or conditions. So you do have to be cautious in using any drug, especially hallucinogens, and pot is one, though a milder one on the spectrum. Plus it's very true that, unless you are buying at a reputable dispensary, you don't know at all what you are getting on the street with any drugs, which makes street purchase Russian Roulette. And yes, pot can be mixed with cocaine, opiates, and a wide variety of highly potent substances, so buying it on the street is seriously dangerous.

Having said that, most folks are not vulnerable, may have access to controlled dosages and safe settings. So it depends. I advise caution for good professional reasons, but that's all.

that is a very dilabitlitating disorder... main worry for me when it comes to drugs... my head might get Fu***ed up

If I were absolutely certain that what I was looking at was 'cubes in that there cow patty, I would be be mighty tempted to partake thereof :) Alas, I am not a mycologist, just some old guy with a bucket list :LOL:

Back