Animal and wildlife challenge for December

a problem I have with markers, markers with sheets, sketchbooks,
also problem with many digital brushes, even in digital pencils (except something where maybe he makes it very opaque), strokes, not smooth shading,
like the lines you see in the frog's leg or skin, or in the dark, the lines you see even when you wish they wouldn't

Christel - Gosh, that should win an award! What size and media is this? How was the BG done? Really wonderful!

Joe - I really like the way you captured the bird the best. The catch lights in the eyes are perfect. I totally get that supplies can get expensive, but the only way you can improve (and you have shown great improvement) is to use the supplies. I used to be a lot more frugal with my supplies, and using cheap watercolor paper was only to my detriment.

Wayne - Very impressionistic. What I especially like is that one can immediately note that is it a peacock, even though the feathers do not have a traditional shape.

Well, it's the 20th in several areas about the globe! As I am trying to participate in challenges here and there, my contribution this month is a quicker piece. This is ink and watercolor, A5 size on Hahnemühle tinted 90CP.

View attachment 27007
I like hi , Joy. The green/blue tint is good. Well done!

Joy, Christel, you work amazing

these are my attempts, 4 digital drawings.
the breaststroke I tried to do it very slowly over several days.

the last two in gray because years ago I wanted to make grayscale drawings with markers, to learn this thing, I had bought them, the first was alcoholic and very expensive and I had chosen a color that was too light so I was unable to use it and I did not take the missing colors by deciding to avoid alcohol markers.
time later I took a gray marker which was fantastic, with a brush pen, very fun, I used it to draw faces like loads, I didn't buy refills for cost but a black one, fun too.
2 years ago I found a mini set but I was afraid to consume it too quickly without learning. sometimes I remember and try again digitally, if I learn a little I think I could try that design again on paper, I'd like to make animals or a fictional character like master yoda or eeyore.

in the frog in red I had trouble with shading,

how to use skin stretches

View attachment 27019View attachment 27020View attachment 27021View attachment 27022
I like all your sketches, Joe. Well done!

thanks CaliAnn and Joe.

I do like that grey frog Joe.

Thanks Joy .. it's all in the spirit or bones of the subject as to what the viewer will see.

Thanks Schuee .. like all impressionistic pieces it needs a viewing distance.

thanks CaliAnn and Joe.

I do like that grey frog Joe.

Thanks Joy .. it's all in the spirit or bones of the subject as to what the viewer will see.

Yes, Wayne.

Wayne, when I took art in my first year of high school, I remember my teacher who chastised those viewing paintings inches away from their face. I can still hear her saying, "Art is to be looked at, not smelt!" 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: ams
Christel - Gosh, that should win an award! What size and media is this? How was the BG done? Really wonderful!
Thanks Joy. The background was done in a few layers of ac using dry brush and scumbling on the tiny bits of paint. The feathers were too daunting to use ac so I grabbed my cp's and black pen.

Christel - Thanks for the info! You are so skilled at making these decisions. The results achieved were spectacular. Mixed media is gaining popularity. Recently I bought some Sakura Pigma pens for ink/wash. But I don't want to start "outlining" everything as a crutch.

I'll post my work and then return with comments.
Ink and marker, 5x8" page.

animals-dec2022-01.jpg

animals-dec2022-02.jpg

Cheers,

Joy - lovely little penguin with the purples :)
Christel - wow - the beak! The purples!
joe1lt - fabulous animal marks! Great froggie :)
Enyaw - wow cool ... palette knife used here?

EP - As I am partial to birds, those are the ones I like best.

great work eyepaint .. yes. palette knife and brush .. I use both at different times.

Back