A rare set of stills

Bartc

Yesterday our plein air group got rained out of painting in Golden Gate Park. Fortunately, one of our members is an instructor at a local private school and she volunteered her massive, light-filled, super equipped studio classroom. She had loads of props and 8 already set up still life subjects, giving us freedom to move anything around. So some painted landscapes from reference photos, but most of us hit the easels for stills.

I haven't painted a still life in I can't think of how many years, because I'm primarily a landscape painter. But this was a no-brainer, so I took my pastels out and went at it. Two quick paintings, one from life, one from imagination.

16x12" pastel on Buttercup PastelMat, 24x18" pastel on lavender charcoal paper.
Nina's vase.jpg

Nina's sunflowers.jpg

Those are both super! I think painting still life from life is much like landscape painting. Searching for the light and shadows, etc. Nice you had a change of pace ... not planned.

Those are both super! I think painting still life from life is much like landscape painting. Searching for the light and shadows, etc. Nice you had a change of pace ... not planned.
I agree. In fact, I gave that advice to one of our plein air painters, who usually paints trees. She did well once she made the conversion in her head. One of my favorites is Wayne Thiebaud. I show folks how he used basic shape and shadow studies, added some color juxtapositions in painting his objects and landscapes - both really the same thing.

Very nice! Even though the title, "A Rare Set of Stills" piqued my curiosity. Down here in the Piedmont of NC, "stills" means something quite different! 😊

--Rich
"So many colors, so little time!"

Very nice! Even though the title, "A Rare Set of Stills" piqued my curiosity. Down here in the Piedmont of NC, "stills" means something quite different! 😊

--Rich
"So many colors, so little time!"
Yeah, I do remember from my days living in Winston.

Back