Your Hometown...

stlukesguild

Rather than continue to hijack the thread on the High Desert, I thought I should continue my discussion with a new thread... and invite others to showcase their hometown... or where they live.

MrBungle- Was there for 40 years. That place is cursed and I do not miss it.

They don’t call Cleveland a mistake by the lake for nothing.

"The Mistake by the Lake" is a long-outdated term for Cleveland going back to the late 60s when the Cuyahoga River famously caught fire in 1969 thanks to various heavy industries dumping chemicals into the river. Since then, many of the heavy industries have left... as they have for many former Steel Belt cities (Detroit, Toledo, Youngstown, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, etc...). Pittsburgh, the "Steel City" doesn't have a single steel mill remaining. The Cuyahoga River fire combined with the heavy algae (caused by agricultural/fertilizer run-off) in Lake Erie and the other Great Lakes led to the establishment of the EPA and the cleanup of many of the cities surrounding the Great Lakes.

Cleveland, like any major US city, has its problems... first among these being the obvious racial divide and disparity between the West and East sides of town. The city proper has lost population, but Greater Cleveland, which includes the immediate surrounding neighborhoods (Cleveland Heights, Bratenahl, Euclid, Shaker Heights, Rocky River, West Lake, Avon Lake, etc...) remains a major population center with many things to see and do. Housing in Cleveland and the suburbs is more than reasonable and often includes large grassy yards with billowing trees.

Cleveland-Heights-with-City-in-background.jpg

I lived in a neighborhood like this one above on a teacher's salary. For a short period of time I lived a few houses away from the Franklin Castle, supposedly the most haunted house in Ohio:

Franklin Castle.jpg

Downtown Cleveland and the Lakefront have undergone major renovations and clean-up over the past decades:

city-cityscape-cleveland-landscape-wallpaper-preview.jpg

Lakefront.jpg

There are many marvelous works of architecture around the city. The baseball team formerly known as the Indians and now as the Guardians were named after the Art Deco statues of "Guardians" on the bridge connecting the East and West sides across the Cuyahoga:

6gduhnefhyq31.jpg

The Cleveland Aracade is one of only 3 surviving Art Nouveau wrought iron arcades in the world (the others being in London and Paris):

Hyatt-Regency-Cleveland-at-The-Arcade-P152-Empty-Arcade-Front.16x9.jpg

The Arcade is especially spectacular during the Christmas holidays.

The Theater District is also spectacular:

26155983256_6dd15f420d_c-e1573351562161.jpg

81fd2010fd121fe75a6403705089139047b1ad0132cafe899d910ebdd41de54e.jpg

The Theater District combined with the major sports stadiums and arenas mean that Clevelanders have continual access to theatrical performances such as plays, operas, ballet, broadway productions, and performances by pop stars... such as Elton John during his farewell concert:

IMG-3607.jpg

IMG-3635.jpg

continued...

continued...

There are many incredible old churches throughout the city.

church-interior-masses.jpg

Many of these were built by Eastern Europeans who settled in Cleveland: Russians, Poles, Greeks, Ukrainians, Germans, etc... The Orthodox Cathedral of St. Theodosius was used in the film The Deer Hunter.

297f8b1a34d3ef3e95_4798350830_5d0a4e70c4_o.jpg

Other forms of Arts, Culture & Entertainment to be found within the city limits are an endless array of restaurants, a number of colleges and universities, the world-renowned Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals, a major zoo...

Cleveland-Metroparks-Zoo-in-Cleveland-OH-20-scaled.jpg

the Cleveland Orchestra...

clevelandorchestra.jpg

and of course the Cleveland Museum of Art... which I mentioned earlier as being free... except for special traveling exhibitions.

ClevelandMuseum_exterior.jpg

Cleveland-Museum-of-Art-Rafael-Vinoly-Architects-1.jpg

cma.jpg

The city itself is surrounded by a system of parks known as the Emerald Necklace:

Emerald Necklace.jpg

Among the immediate surrounding neighborhoods... such as Cleveland Heights, Lakewood, Shaker Heights, Avon Lake, etc... there are a good many that are very wealthy and laden with wonderful architecture, restaurants, art galleries and other cultural venues. The Coventry neighborhood in Cleveland Heights is home to many of the area college students and includes many unique and funky stores and restaurants.

94635d18791541d4626c8272970d33eb.jpg

Not far from the city, is Cedar Point, an amusement park with some of the biggest roller-coasters in the nation, as well as the Amish towns, and the Wine Districts, known especially for their sweet white wines and ice wine. Last summer, we drove 45 minutes from Cleveland o stay at a Victorian bed & breakfast and then spend the several days touring half a dozen wineries... including one with hot-air balloon flights and evenings with live music where you could bring your dogs. ❤️

Kings Majesty.jpg

IMG-0619.jpg

5090389195_f79bef2789_b.jpg

Attachments

• 297f8b1a34d3ef3e95_4798350830_5d0a4e70c4_o.jpg
    297f8b1a34d3ef3e95_4798350830_5d0a4e70c4_o.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 24
I took my education classes right downtown at Cleveland State, and my studios would have been slightly to the west... the first on 40th and St. Clair and the last (for 15+ years) at 20th and Superior.

Where is that, Sno?

Sounds like you're bragging, SLG

Looks like both of you might have a thing or two to brag about.

My hometown... I was born in Lansing, Mich, teen years in Colo Spgs, Co, and then became a citizen of... the active duty-military family world. I lived all over the US and Europe, ending up for eleven years in Puget Sound, Wa- where we moved further and further out into the boonies. Even then, cities were far too people-y for us. In 2008, it was looking like the economy was going to crap quickly, put our resumes online, and both found jobs here SSSSE Arizona- nearest town called Sierra Vista, outside of Fort Huachuca. Once more, we moved further away from people traps, to end up here on acreage, about 2 miles north of the border with Mexico.

Yeah- that's my patio view:
1687978737390.png

Last edited:
I'm a strange one: I want to live either in the inner city or out in the countryside. My idea of hell is living in the leafy suburbs. Alas for me, due to all manner of circumstances, that is exactly where I now find myself stuck: a dreary, boring suburb. I don't think I have ever actually taken any photos of the views: there are none worth photographing. Not even suburban gardens: because of sky-high crime rates, everything is now hidden behind high walls and electric fences. Everyone is cocooning.

This has always created a problem when it comes to taking photos as reference. There is nothing to paint here, at least not if you're looking for more or less traditional street scenes. And I'm too poor to afford a car, so I seldom get out of the city; for landscapes, I am forced to either use Google Street view (a veritable godsend at times) or mostly just glean what I can from the web.

Of course, eventually one learns to make a plan. It's actually an interesting challenge now to try to find the beauty around me. It's always there, if you keep your eyes open. Like Sabina in The Unbearable Lightness of Being, I search out beauty wherever its persecutors have overlooked it. :)

All of these were taken a few years ago, within cycling distance of where I live, with a common old point-and-shoot, and many would argue that I am actually blessed (forgive the lack of color in many of them; I went through an artsy black-and-white phase!):

2015 d9b7zne-8f7c3aa4-41d1-4200-b542-d9cb8716de51.jpg

Interesting patterns can be found everywhere:

2015 shadow_patterns_by_brianvds_d9axs9u-fullview.jpg

Children playing in a frosty field one winter morning, at a school not far from here:

2016 Children in frosty field.jpg

Bit grim? I love this sort of imagery:

2016 d9y589m-6eea9a35-f918-4730-8198-5b345a30b9a3.jpg

And I have learned to look up:

2016 d9yjd0z-e532d789-5bfd-4e95-a90d-734c70e3c8fc.jpg

Even some of the dreary suburban homes have a certain something about them; I have in fact painted this one plein air some time ago:

2017 white_and_blue_by_brianvds_dbr1f13-pre.jpg

Local cemetery:

2016 d9yo3c0-3ea01aa3-986d-4a74-9898-7b276bbaadaa.jpg

And there is urban wildlife. Have the lambs stopped screaming yet, Clarice?

2020 Deathshead hawk moth DSC_0628.JPG

Local nature walk; I go there very often:

2020 Dry savanna landscape.jpg

And patterns and more patterns:

dc5kdwz-dc6205ca-d86a-4e91-9565-85aa80216c55.jpg

echeveria_by_brianvds_d9tn7dn-fullview.jpg

StLukes' heroine Georgia O'Keeffe (evil grin) would have liked this

da616jt-4a01b9f0-3f68-4a4d-9e76-274d8ae3de68.jpg

I was actually more creative when I only had the point-and-shoot. I have since been gifted a decent SLR, and it enables me to zoom in on wildlife, which turned me into a lazy photographer. But I still carry a cell phone everywhere, simply for its camera (I don't think I have made an actual call on it in two years!)

I have been thinking of deliberately limiting my art subject matter to only local stuff for which I can take my own reference. It will make for nice art; problem is, it's not the kind of thing you can give away around here, let alone sell. :)

A "few" of my favorite works of art from the Cleveland Museum of Art:

CMA1.jpg

Renoir, Fukae Roshu, Modigliani, Vuillard, Picasso

CMA2.jpg

Hokusai, Tintoretto, Hals, Turner, Caravaggio

CMA3.jpg

Grant Wood, Ancient Roman, Degas

CMA4.jpg

Pierre Bonnard, R.B. Kitaj, Soutine, Van Gogh, Rouault

CMA5.jpg

Picasso, Monet, Friedrich von Amerling, Schmidt-Rottluff, Bonnard, Robert Colescott

CMA6.jpg

Vilhelm Hammershoi, De la Tour, Lee Bontecou, Gauguin, Ancient Greek, Van Dyck, Rodin

About 30-40 west of Cleveland is Oberlin... home to Oberlin College with its world-class music conservatoire and a fabulous little museum. My favorite painting in the museum is this painting by E.L. Kirchner painted when he was drafted into WWI and as an artist unable to create, felt as if his hands had been chopped off:

5058.jpg

Last edited:
Brianvds- I'm a strange one: I want to live either in the inner city or out in the countryside.

As a kid, our family spent nearly every summer vacationing somewhere a distance from home. My dad was totally into Nature and the natural wonders. We visited Niagra Falls, Mammoth Caves (and many other caves), the Black Hills, the Badlands, the Grand Tetons, the Rocky Mountains, Yellowstone, etc... We also explored many historical sites: Gettysburg, Fort Sumter, the Serpent Mounds, Mount Rushmore, etc... I also grew up surrounded by nature... our backyard butting up against a large wooded area complete with swamps, small rivers, and various wildlife. However, my dad had no liking whatsoever for cities. We almost never visited Cleveland which was only 35 miles away. On our various cross-country travels, he would do anything to avoid the cities. I never even visited the Cleveland Museum of Art until I drove there myself at 18 years old. Throughout my years in Art School, I visited almost all the big cities with major art collections from St. Louis to the East Coast: Toledo, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Detroit, Chicago, Cincinnati, Columbus, Buffalo, Washington, New York, etc... Sometimes I drove alone. Many times I drove with one of two artist friends. With the exception of a few years when we moved to a college town some distance west of Cleveland so that we could be near our younger daughter, I've spent all my time since Art School living in New York, Cleveland, or the immediate surrounding suburbs. I've thrived on the urban environment: the cultural institutions, the art galleries, and art community, the access to working space, etc... I suspect my wife wouldn't mind living in the boonies... but even then, she lived with her parents for years far out in the sticks and hated it... needing to drive to the larger cities every weekend. I would just go insane.

That's just a couple of shots from the Gilcrease and the Philbrook in Tulsa. :giggle:
Oklahoma is Okay! The entire state is like a lesson in geography and history all laid out before you. And the museums are top notch.

We were there in Lawton in... early-mid Nineties I think. Terrific fishing, great views, OKC right up the road, Witchita Falls right down the road, and the best steak you every had at Medicine Creek, The Old Plantation. (Talk about an abandoned spot- that hotel/restaurant had every appearance of being done, dead and never dusted- leaves and dead birds and debris all over the verandah, what you could see in the window looked the same with gray tattered cobwebs festooned everywhere and piles of -- junk all over. Astonished to find it open. More astonished to discover they were still allowed to sell food. Stupified to find the food was Oh Mah Gawd DELICIOUS!)

Oh, and wind that will scour you off the face of the planet- the local radio used to guage the wind every morning with different metrics: No Skirt Day, Tie Your Hat to Your Head Day, Do Not Open the Car Door Day-- wicked wind.

Back