GreenLake BathHouse

Bongo

GreenLake is a green lake in the GreenLake District - what are the odds on that? Talk about coincidence. It's a haven for joggers, dog walkers, etc... 2.8 miles around the lake. So many plein air possibilities. I settled on this -
one.jpg

sketch
two.jpg

block in+
three.jpg

I got this far when I realized that the scale was all wrong. -- that the lake was now a pond, that the swim raft was a barge, and that the dog walker would have to be a leprechaun. Not my first Plein Error nor will be the last.

days later...
The BathHouse Theater, formally a bath house ('nother coincidence?) sits on the West end of the lake. This is the back of it, with steps leading to the water.
four.jpg

This is the front and the angle I chose to paint.
five.jpg

sketch
six.jpg

block in+
seven.jpg

A man and woman stopped to "admire" my work, then as they were walking away the woman turned and asked, "What's your name?" "Bongo" I replied. A confused quizzical look, then ".oh...is that your last name?" "Yes." She was expecting me to volunteer my first but as her husband led her away I chose not to tell, for few are prepared for the percussive sonance of "Bongo Bongo" and I had not time to initiate, for I there was a painting to attend.

"BathHouse Theatre" oil on 18"x14" panel. Figure added in studio.

bathhouseX.jpg

comments welcomed

Hi Bongo, as always you amaze me finding subjects. Actually, I like the first blockin, I see a kinda mysterious scene, nice.

Great plein air work! I agree with Murray, you have the eye for capturing these scenes and being able to block out the immediate surroundings. I like the added figure.

I like them both. The distance in the first doesn't bother me as I didn't see the place in person. Looks fine. The second is really good and I like the figure, too. Plein air is so special.

.... Actually, I like the first blockin, I see a kinda mysterious scene, nice.
Thanks - I'm sometimes I'm too wedded to an idea of what it "should" be, rather than to go with the flow.
..... The distance in the first doesn't bother me as I didn't see the place in person. Looks fine.
Forgot I was making a painting not documenting what I saw.
Great plein air work! I agree with Murray, you have the eye for capturing these scenes and being able to block out the immediate surroundings. I like the added figure.
Thanks Terri. I want to get better with figures and use them more often. City scenes without cars or people can seem creepy at times.

These are both so cool. Something about the second one draws me in more--not that these were put up for comparison to one another. That's just a comment on my part. I like the shade you captured on the grass between the trees. :) It made me feel the air.

Thanks Terri. I want to get better with figures and use them more often. City scenes without cars or people can seem creepy at times.
That's interesting to me, because it's the same challenge in photography. I used to avoid people in virtually all my shots - whether cityscape or landscape. It annoyed me to have anyone wander into the frame. But lately, I find I'm reversing this approach and think that having people adds a terrific element, whether for scale or some other reason. :)

Well done! You've caught some iconic scenes here. Have you done Pike's Place Market yet?

You might- if you feel like traveling just a bit- want to go to Point Defiance down in Tacoma. It's got some terrific scenery. Plus a decent zoo....

That's interesting to me, because it's the same challenge in photography. I used to avoid people in virtually all my shots - whether cityscape or landscape. p It annoyed me to have anyone wander into the frame. But lately, I find I'm reversing this approach and think that having people adds a terrific element, whether for scale or some other reason. :)
As a general rule, when you include a person the picture becomes about the person. As a species we immediately focus on and evaluate another human as a potential threat, mate, etc. So when used only as a graphic element, the figure IMO needs to be indistinct. Even then two indistinct figures in proximity become about the relationship - father -son, husband-wife, etc. So the painting/photograph has to take that into consideration. In photography - unless you're using a model (or perhaps Photoshop) you're limited to the figure options at hand.
Well done! You've caught some iconic scenes here. Have you done Pike's Place Market yet?
I used to spend two-three days every week (for two years) wandering around downtown doing street photography. So there are alleys, buildings, overpasses, bridges, side streets, etc. that I would love to paint. But not sure how safe those off-the-beaten paths are now-a-days to spend 3 hours or so hanging out with an easel. To do Plein air at Pikes Place or Space Needle for three hours in one spot, I fear I would become a tourist attraction.
...I like the shade you captured on the grass between the trees. :) It made me feel the air.
Thanks Ayin - dappled shadows are something I'm working on.

As a general rule, when you include a person the picture becomes about the person. As a species we immediately focus on and evaluate another human as a potential threat, mate, etc. So when used only as a graphic element, the figure IMO needs to be indistinct. Even then two indistinct figures in proximity become about the relationship - father -son, husband-wife, etc. So the painting/photograph has to take that into consideration. In photography - unless you're using a model (or perhaps Photoshop) you're limited to the figure options at hand.
That's such a great description! 👏 I agree completely.

You find the most beautiful places to set up and paint, Bongo, and you did great work on both of these! Zooming in to crop out the extra landscape is one of your strengths. It is interesting how we perceive people in paintings; maybe that's why I like portraits done from the back or those without any features at all - they could be anyone.

Back