WIP (Just started)

Artyczar

I finally got around to starting this one yesterday. Just getting the outlines down. I've been starting out that way lately, kind of. I usually don't do outlines until last. It's a new thing to try one with outlines first, then the next without and try not to put any at all (or not many).

Anyway, here it is. No title yet. It's oil, 34 x 34 inches.

boat172.jpg

Looks good even without the color. I see some busy stuff below the boat, is that pencil sketching or did you paint over one? lol, I love the hair style! :giggle:

Interesting imagery. Reminds me when I was much younger and used to look at Paul Klee, Matisse, Kandinsky, Picasso, etc. works for hours. I was much better at drawing from inside then. Wonder what has scared me? Every time I try to abstract it seems like a failure.

Thank you sno. I was going to put a lot of color in it, but now I decided to make the "bricks" in the boat different shades of white. The background and the sea will be different blues and greens, and I'll make the plants and stuff more detailed-ish. All that below the boat is pencil. I draw everything in pencil first, then paint over it.

Patrick, these childlike images come from a process I use from rough drawings I make right before I fall asleep. They are literally scribbled quickly in a little notebook by my bed while I'm laying on my back (usually). When I paint them, I try to stay very true to the raw lines from the original sketches.

I think you used to describe your work in the Naive style. Looking at that boat, I wonder if it makes sense, or adds anything, to describe it as a self-conscious or knowing naivety. You could call the work "They're biting" as a nod to Klee. Although, the connection might be too tenuous, involving a hooked fish and a love of the artist. I love the abstraction in the boat.

Thank you Ian and Desforges. I don't know if I've ever described my own work as naïve, but have probably mentioned that others have put me in that category. I hate describing it at all. Childlike is okay with me, as that's pretty apparent. I don't care what other people want to call the work though. A knowing nativity is an oxymoron, but whatever works, right? It doesn't matter. I only want people to know that I can draw real things if I wanted to. That is my only irritation when people see this kind of work from me and if they start making assumptions I'm not a "real" artist. But this is my natural art and I like it the most. I'm not fond of rendering realism, unless I can make it look like something I've never seen before.

.....blah, blah, blah. ;)

Certainly a joke. Picasso could draw as well as the masters when he was a teen. I don't doubt you can draw any more than I think Picasso could not draw. Drawing is nothing more than attentive repetition and correcting your errors on the way. Anyone can draw if they so have the desire to put in the time. I can draw but don't because I don't have the patience for fine detail (waste of time, to me) and so I prefer to suggest with a brush. You draw but reduce it to only what is needed. Same difference, just different ideas on how we say things artistically. There is no right or wrong and an artist need not speak the same language as any other to be an artist according to someone's ideal of what an artist is.

... not talking of seeing .. but rather expressing .. it's a given you have to see before you can express.

I only want people to know that I can draw real things if I wanted to. That is my only irritation when people see this kind of work from me and if they start making assumptions I'm not a "real" artist. But this is my natural art (my emphasis) and I like it the most. ...

---------------------
My natural art is a style sort of half-way between realism and a precocious third-grader. So I have a tendency to make "corrective" noodles - NOT to prove that I can paint realistically but as I kind of "see there - I knew that line was off, so I'm fixing it so it won't be an issue for you, so you'll see the work as a whole and not focus on (what you think) is a "mistake".

Of course, the noodling only draws more attention and feeds into the false narrative that I'm a failed realist. The cure is obvious - I need to accept my style and not be concerned with what others might think. Oddly, when it comes to everything else I don't give a shit what anyone thinks , but this-- - I'm working on it.

my point is that I too am irritated by false assumptions about my work. - only I take it a step further and "noodle" trying to mitigate the damage. Which is of course the wrong thing to do.

I see. Yes, I know the feeling. I can tell from your work that you know how to draw though. Just an FYI. I can just tell. I couldn't tell you how I know, I can just see it in the quality of your work.

I think you're right about not getting too hung up on what other people think. In my world (where I show and sell my work), I know the stuff I do is (generally) not frowned upon and I get a lot of accolades. Maybe that's why I don't mind what I do in that realm because it's very accepted, but in the world of traditionalists, I feel like no one really gets it, so maybe they think I don't know what I'm doing. I'm sure that's often the case, but why do I care? I shouldn't. They are not who or why I make the work. I have to remember that more often, especially because it never changes what I do with the work. So on some level I do keep it in mind. At least it doesn't effect the work I'm doing. That's the most important thing, right?

Here is the next stage of outlining on this piece. I have to wait for some of this to dry before starting on the "bricks" in the boat since they will all be different shades of white.

boat272.jpg

Back