What I didn't know about bugs

Have you ever noticed a fly walking in a bowl of cat food or dog food . They are suddenly slow and sluggish. Look at the food with a magnifying glass and you will see tiny little white balls. Well, these are eggs. It only takes a few minutes. If you put the bowl away in the fridge chances are that when you open the door next new friends will escape.

Mosquitoes suck! I cannot be in tropical zones without enduring multiple itchy blisters in reaction to their saliva and in need of a blood transfusion. I come home paler than an anaemic. Wasn't it Billy Connolly who said that Scots don't tan, but turn from blue to white?

Double ewwww!
I was out for a couple of hours...
One fly laid her eggs in Jack’s bowl.

D44FF9DD-C5E7-4734-8CFA-61D2073D59BE.jpeg
8CF890CE-6E34-4952-BA20-60893214E222.jpeg

Guess I have been feeling a little guilty for killing them all. I even bought a red fly swapper so I can spot it when needed. Looking for approval, perhaps. 😁😸🤣

Bluebottle flies are the most annoying and I have no time for wasps, I just squish em! If I see a spider I squish it too, if I'm a murderer, so be it.

I have an electronic racket for mosquitos, and I have no remorse whatsoever watching them fry on the racket.

Spiders are our friends. Without them, we'd be overrun by insects. The vast majority are harmless to humans. When we find one in the house we do our best to transfer it to the outdoors.

It's a bad idea to squash a wasp in the vicinity of a nest-- it'll just bring more wasps. They can tell. Pheromones or something.

Black flies are the worst. During the height of black fly season, unless you want to slather yourself with repellent, best to just stay indoors. And sometimes even nuclear grade repellent doesn't work.

Sorry, NO spider is a friend of mine.

As I was lying on my back (it went out) and was staring at the ceiling, I saw a spider at the left corner of the room at the door jamb. I watched it walk along the wall toward the right corner and I thought soon, he’ll be over my head and then will jump on top of me. Possible bite me to death. Or start spinning a web on my inert bod.

So, I struggled to get up (took awhile), and then bent over to get my flip flop (took another awhile) and then...just as he (all bugs are “he”) was swinging a bit from a web or something, I swatted him dead.

Now, I had already tried twice to kill this same spider in my bedroom and both times I missed and he fell to the floor and then I couldn’t see him or bend over close enough to try again. So, I was like a wounded sheriff chasing a bandit for days and finally getting my criminal. Twas a satisfying victory.

Sorry, NO spider is a friend of mine.

As I was lying on my back (it went out) and was staring at the ceiling, I saw a spider at the left corner of the room at the door jamb. I watched it walk along the wall toward the right corner and I thought soon, he’ll be over my head and then will jump on top of me. Possible bite me to death. Or start spinning a web on my inert bod.

So, I struggled to get up (took awhile), and then bent over to get my flip flop (took another awhile) and then...just as he (all bugs are “he”) was swinging a bit from a web or something, I swatted him dead.

Now, I had already tried twice to kill this same spider in my bedroom and both times I missed and he fell to the floor and then I couldn’t see him or bend over close enough to try again. So, I was like a wounded sheriff chasing a bandit for days and finally getting my criminal. Twas a satisfying victory.

Your husband is a lucky guy to have you around! 😊

Spiders may not be your friends, Olive, but with a few admittedly very bad actors aside, they are most definitely friends of humanity, same as bats. We had a really tiny spider in one corner of our bathroom floor last year, completely out of the way of us. We called her Spider-pal and fed her bugs whenever we could.

Yes, I think bees and wasps will send out laser beams to their friends and families if you squash them. You will very soon be inundated with more of them. Better to just leave them alone. They are usually very busy anyway. ;)

Back