What art supplies have you bought recently?

Here are some of my recent purchases of sale and clearance items:

A Weatherproof Garment Co. backpack for $10. Brand new condition.
A very nice brush washer caddy w lid and handle for $5. No name, but very nice.
An older ArtBin box, very dirty for $3.
A steel 3-cup measuring cup w glass insert (for markings) $2. I'll find a use for it.
A very nice wooden caddy for $4. I'll use it on my table top for pencil storage.
A slightly dented Roz pastel box w the trays filled w Art Spectrum and Sennelier pastels for $45.
A bag of 6 canvas aprons in pretty decent shape for $8.
That's good shopping!

6F06FE98-BE21-4D83-B4C0-7911E79C55BA.jpeg

New set of five multicolored CPs. Already have three of the same colors. Love these for sketching as watercolors cover lines well.

Ordered one hundred charcoal sticks. My plan is to crush them up to small granules of various sizes. Mix them in oil paint to simulate gritty texture. I don't know how it will come out, but as we know a lot of oil painting for a beginner is largely experimental.

charcoal order 2023-06-27.jpg

Ordered one hundred charcoal sticks. My plan is to crush them up to small granules of various sizes. Mix them in oil paint to simulate gritty texture. I don't know how it will come out, but as we know a lot of oil painting for a beginner is largely experimental.

View attachment 31463
Don't know if that would work or not but the charcoal is likely to darken the paint some. Maybe something like uncolored plaster would work better?

Don't know if that would work or not but the charcoal is likely to darken the paint some. Maybe something like uncolored plaster would work better?
Thanks for the tip. What I have in mind for the mixed media the darkening might enhance the effect I am looking for. I will experiment to see what happens. Then again there might not be any darkening, for there are professional artists, especial of long ago, who have used charcoal for an outline and then oil painted over them.

40B4DEA8-5774-4571-B217-6A4173276A1A.jpeg

This blue barrel says it’s a manga marker and thick gold-copper colored ink comes out. Packaging shows it’s made in Japan and I got it free with an order. Has anyone else used this?

View attachment 31477
This blue barrel says it’s a manga marker and thick gold-copper colored ink comes out. Packaging shows it’s made in Japan and I got it free with an order. Has anyone else used this?
No, I have not used this. But I have used similar markers to title the spines of my notebooks.
I too receive gifts from my Japanese orders. They are erasers of cute shapes, and they work better than any other eraser I have. It's an interesting marketing ploy, especially if you get something for free that is of good quality.

I picked up a large package of gold leaf a month or two ago... but working on my current painting, I decided to use some of the red variegated leaf that I still had left over. I realized I likely wouldn't have enough for the whole area I needed to cover, so I ordered a new package about a week ago. It arrived Monday or Tuesday and I just now took a look at it. I won't be using any of it until later today... or more likely tomorrow. Before I start to use the leaf I need to draw the Chocolate Cherry Sunflower, part of a serpent, and a few other things.

FloraFlowers.700.jpg

IMG-4254.450.jpg

IMG-4255.450.jpg

IMG-4256.450.jpg

I stopped at a garage sale this morning and they had frames for $1 a piece. I went though and digging out wooden ones and ended up with almost 50 of them. they range from 5"x5" up to 2'x3'. Many have glass. Some have prints and there was even 5 or 6 paintings in there.
The problem now is finding storage space for them.
frames.jpg

I recently found these in a favorite thrift store

Books by James Gurney:
"The Artist's Guide to Sketching $3.99
"Color and Light" $3.99
"Imaginative Realism" $3.99
also "Drawing the Head and Hands" by Andrew Loomis $3.99
also "Colored Pencil Painting Portraits" by Alyona Nickleson free w purchase of other four.

I recently found these in a favorite thrift store

Books by James Gurney:
"The Artist's Guide to Sketching $3.99
"Color and Light" $3.99
"Imaginative Realism" $3.99
also "Drawing the Head and Hands" by Andrew Loomis $3.99
also "Colored Pencil Painting Portraits" by Alyona Nickleson free w purchase of other four.
Good buy! I've bought #1 and #2 from Amazon, but they sure weren't $3.99

Got all this at Hobby Lobby. Two custom cut 8x10 wood frames, precut mats, white markers and ink, sketchbooks and watercolor pads. A welcome door sign for 66% off, too. I read online they are closing out many art supplies due to needing space for crafts, so wanted to hurry in to see.

KreativeK- Got all this at Hobby Lobby.

Quite a haul. I was going to run to the nearby Dick Blick today to pick up some more pastel pencils to begin work on the hair on my painting-in-progress... but I came down with a nasty headache. Maybe tomorrow... maybe not. I have a doctor's appointment. Maybe I'll need to work with what I have.

Back