What art supplies have you bought recently?

I went online and bought Temu.com art supplies.. I bought lot of paint and paintbrushes from companies I never heard of before. The prices are supposed to be low. I got 25 flat brushes for $2-$4 USD. Some of the paint was expensive, but is good paint. One came with a plastic

Just arrived by courier van. Bought from Amazon last week. Arrived in excellent condition. Quite heavy too.
Now I can grind certain dried materials for mixed media.

2023-07-12 mortar & pestle.jpg

37mm tube of Ultramarine Violet (PV15) in oil paint and
37mm tube of Viridian (PG18) in oil paint

both are single pigments. The PV15 is very similar to Dioxazine but less chroma and way less tinting strength. I like to use Dioxazine for shadows but it's just too overpowering - hoping the Ultramarine Violet will work better.

The Viridian looks much like Phthalo green to me, but less chroma and tinting. I've seen it on a lot on painter's palettes so wanted to find out what I've been missing.

Also bought a gallon of Jerry's World Famous Gesso.

An art supply of a different kind - books.

Besides art related books I often buy books that will give me more depth and understanding of what it is I want to paint. I am sure we all have bought such books. The usual non-art related books may simply be reference books to such things as human-factor engineering, bird guide books, Australian native plants, book of facial expressions, etc.

Then there are deeper books which do not necessarily provide any images of the subject matter. Some are stories about something that triggers our imagination, and from this we embark onto another artwork. Here are my recent books bought for my current facination with metaphysical nature of reality.

Unity Metaphysics
A Theology of Uncreated Energies
Every Miracle and Wonder in the Bible
The Unseen World of Angels and Demons
Reflections of an Inner Being
Contact With Beings of Light
The Physics of Angels
Against Principalities and Powers
The Incorruptibles

I have not yet read most of these books.

The point is, they feed into my imagination, and quite often I get a glimpse of something far beyond anything I have read. Yet the insight feels so 'right and obvious'. These glimpses are not necessarily of a visual nature, but an image nevertheless. The image stays with my memory longer than anything the books have revealed to me so far. It is these images I wish to make visible.

So, I see these books supplying, or inspiring, me with new artworks to create.

Here are some recent purchases from a thrift store, art supply store, hobby store, and an estate sale and a yard sale:

A cute sundress perfect for PA painting (flower pattern perfect for hiding inevitable paint spots) for $6..
An Alvin portfolio 34x42 w three Crescent wc boards 30x40 and eight Stonehenge papers 30x40 for $35.
A nice small aluminum case perfect for carrying pastels for $3.
Two plastic containers w wide slots and a hanging hole (could hold 100 pencils each container) for $3.
Five silicone charcoal/graphite blenders 3/8" for $4 all.

Yesterday I took a relative for an appointment and was facing a 2 hrs wait with nothing to do so I hit up walmart getting some soap for brush cleaning and picking up some stuff to play with during the wait.
I then got a phone call and talked the whole time instead of drawing….
20230726_182158.jpg

Anyway. I added to my oil pastels and I’ll probably stash the pencil set in my car.

From the big box store in the sky, a 25-sheet pack of Strathmore textured ink jet printer paper, 80lb, 8x11.5 inch, for my latest multi-media experiment. To be delivered next week. Total was $16 USD, not bad. When printed, it supposedly mimics a real water color picture; OR watercolors can be painted directly onto the surface. I'll report more later.

nine 37ml tubes

"vibrant" colors are Utrecht's version of Gamblin's "radiant" colors. They have the same pigments. Utrecht's cost $10.52 and Gamblins $11.25 a tube. So price is really not a consideration.

vibrant and radiant colors.jpg

I want to compare the two brands. just a preliminary peek - Gamblin's and Utrechts's Turquoise are very similar with just ever so slight nod going to Utrecht. In the Magenta, Utrecht IMO is the clear winner. Once I start using and mixing them I'll know more.

To my eye, the "vibrant" and "radiant" colors look pastel. But they are a more "vibrant" and "radiant' pastel than you could get by mixing a given color with white. (supposedly)

Back