What art supplies have you bought recently?

Bongo,

That turquoise looks scrumptious! I use that pink a lot, and the violet. Hope you have fun! I'm curious to know what you think of the Gamblin over the Utrecht. I've never even tried Utrecht.

I picked up this little 3.5"x5.5" sketchbook yesterday from a dollar store. My plan is to keep it with a small sketch set in my car.
20230731_190851.jpg

I would have preferred something simpler with removable pages but this is the only one small enough I could find.

I picked up this little 3.5"x5.5" sketchbook yesterday from a dollar store. My plan is to keep it with a small sketch set in my car.
View attachment 32937
I would have preferred something simpler with removable pages but this is the only one small enough I could find.
That is exactly my idea "go-to" sketchbook. Great that you got it for a dollar. :)

From a thrift store I purchased a very nice three-wheeled baby stroller. Looks almost new and it's very clean, considering... I've seen an artist who carted their French easel around and they liked pushing a stroller much better than pulling a wagon. And there are a couple people online who use one, also.

I've been looking for a nice one to fit up to carry my French easel for larger paintings; and/or cooler, lawn chairs, etc., when my Mom and I go to outdoor events, etc. Pulling a loaded wagon can be a drag on my shoulders. Mom can't carry anything other than her purse anymore. And I really like to repurpose things. I paid $35.

Normally, if I use my French easel I cart it strapped down onto my four-wheeler, or work off the truck bed. Can't wait to get started on this..lol.

From a thrift store a couple days ago -
A baggie full of 41 paint brushes, two painting knives, and an angled pen nib holder, for $2.99.
There are thirteen Grumbachers, one DaVinci, two Rosemary, six Escoda and nineteen Winsor Newtons. They range from liners to 1", rounds, brights and flats, For most part look to have had very good care..
The book "Fundamentals of Pastel Painting" $3.99.

their oil paint is great. I have water-soluble oil tubes that I have not opened in 10 to 15 years. The paint is still usable. It took a while to get the tops off but only a few were too thick to use.

nine 37ml tubes

"vibrant" colors are Utrecht's version of Gamblin's "radiant" colors. They have the same pigments. Utrecht's cost $10.52 and Gamblins $11.25 a tube. So price is really not a consideration.

View attachment 32704
I want to compare the two brands. just a preliminary peek - Gamblin's and Utrechts's Turquoise are very similar with just ever so slight nod going to Utrecht. In the Magenta, Utrecht IMO is the clear winner. Once I start using and mixing them I'll know more.

To my eye, the "vibrant" and "radiant" colors look pastel. But they are a more "vibrant" and "radiant' pastel than you could get by mixing a given color with white. (supposedly)
I love those gamblin radiant colors, especially the magenta and green thanks for showing the Utrecht I’ll have to try them out as well

Back