What art supplies have you bought recently?

So now that I have watercolor paints to try out sometime I picked up a cheap pad of watercolor paper from the dollar store.
20230902_181348.jpg

Now I’ve never worked with watercolors (other then as a kid.) and never used watercolor paper before but I’m just wondering if this is normal?
20230902_182318.jpg

The top side of the paper is covered with these perfectly round indentations.
The bottom side doesn’t have then. I’m assuming I should use the flat bottom side? Is it normal for watercolor paper to have such an extreme texture to it?

I have used wc paper from an Icelandic dollarstore equivalent when I started experimenting with watercolor. Dirt cheap and it had the same weird surface structure as yours.
Mine was absolute crap.
I started investing in better quality paper (100% cotton), an the difference is huge. I'd say paper is the most important factor in being able to get good results with watercolor.

Thanks. I picked it up just because I have some cheap watercolors to experiment with and was hoping it would be better then sketch paper. I'm thinking I'll try it out on the back but I might see what Walmart has to offer.

I bought a coloring book on the weekend, I once read that colors can offer peaceful sedation, remedy and theraphy for your mind. I really enjoy looking at the combination of colors. I find it to be very soothing and relaxing for some reason.

I made some really great buys from a thrift store, art store clearance, estate sale and a nearby neighborhood yard sale:

A beautiful big rolling kitchen cart w shelves and drawers for $60. For my studio...
An aluminum Roz pastel box w four trays and 114 Mount Vision and Ludwig pastels for $50.
Two empty trays for the Roz box for $3ea.
Ten Unison pastels for $20.
Two 16x20 adhesive-backed mounting boards $4.
A box w about forty-ish sheets of paper. Look mostly Mi-Tientes w sanded paper and Pastelmat. They threw that in for free! 16x20 and smaller.
Thirty seven new Daler-Rowney Artists Soft Pastels greens and blues for $50.

i Do know what I’ll be buying next: a jump drive, so I can project my imagery for my next painting to the painting/drawing surface. i misplaced the jump drive I had and I haven’t read through the directions on the projector enough to send the image from my iPad through the Bluetoot.

I bought a coloring book on the weekend, I once read that colors can offer peaceful sedation, remedy and theraphy for your mind. I really enjoy looking at the combination of colors. I find it to be very soothing and relaxing for some reason.

I've used coloring books in the past for trying out colored pencils combinations.

Really splurged last week. I was in the city visiting grandkids and went to a traditional art supply shop. It has been open for 65 years and is like a step back in time to visit. Because I live in an isolated area and usually shop online- this was a real treat. I bought some small unprimed box wood panels. And some more oil paint as the prices are about to go up. So great to chat to people who really know the details and can give information about the various art materials. I spent (a lot) but justified it by thinking of what I have saved on delivery fees!

art supplies.jpg

So now that I have watercolor paints to try out sometime I picked up a cheap pad of watercolor paper from the dollar store.
View attachment 34043
Now I’ve never worked with watercolors (other then as a kid.) and never used watercolor paper before but I’m just wondering if this is normal?
View attachment 34044
The top side of the paper is covered with these perfectly round indentations.
The bottom side doesn’t have then. I’m assuming I should use the flat bottom side? Is it normal for watercolor paper to have such an extreme texture to it?
I found this strange kind of "watercolor" paper me too, in a shop selling children's articles. I didn't buy it because I thought that it wouldn't give an esthetic result. I would prefer the cold pressed or rough style, where relief if much more random. So, I bought paper in the style of cold pressed, 200 gsm. I wasn't satisfied at all. I looked in art forums and found that a real watercolor paper is especially seized. After that I bought a better paper (Cardinal from Clairfontaine) that it 300 gsm 50% cotton and "double face" (rough and cold pressed). It was better for humid techniques, however I think about something even better (and more expensive), perhaps Arches. I'll keep the cheap paper for graphite pencil or charcoal (and Indian ink sketches).

Nevertheless I'm curious about uses for that round relief paper. :unsure:

My daughter purchased me 72 premium colored pencils purported to be Castle Art Supplies from the world's largest online shopping port. I don't think I can mention their name but everyone on the planet probably purchases through them.
Imagine my disappointment when I opened the tin only to find the actual pencils are cheap imitations. How on earth are so many fraudulent products managing to find their way onto the market.
I had already persuaded my daughter never to believe the online product reviews (too many are paid for, inaccurate or complete fabrication) but she looked into Castle Art Supplies company separately and was impressed with their products. It was unfortunate she decided to order via the large online portal instead.

I'm still waiting on that big award check before I can make the biggest art supply buy of my life. They told us that the checks are going to be delayed for "a while." :(

But I'm still planning on buying that super expensive easel. I figure, why not? When else would I ever have a chance to get it otherwise?

My daughter purchased me 72 premium colored pencils purported to be Castle Art Supplies from the world's largest online shopping port. I don't think I can mention their name but everyone on the planet probably purchases through them.
Imagine my disappointment when I opened the tin only to find the actual pencils are cheap imitations. How on earth are so many fraudulent products managing to find their way onto the market.
I had already persuaded my daughter never to believe the online product reviews (too many are paid for, inaccurate or complete fabrication) but she looked into Castle Art Supplies company separately and was impressed with their products. It was unfortunate she decided to order via the large online portal instead.
That's why I disdain, dislike, and abhor online shopping. I would much rather travel the 30+ miles to go to a brick-and-mortar place. And anyway, I might come across something that I suddenly "need desperately"! 😉 Or maybe it jumps into my cart crying, "Take me home!" 🤣

--Rich

I am so old-school that when I can't get to a real art shop due to the distance, I will ring the online shop (Australia) and talk through the details of the product if it is new to me- or the description is unclear.

I am so old-school that when I can't get to a real art shop due to the distance, I will ring the online shop (Australia) and talk through the details of the product if it is new to me- or the description is unclear.
You call it being old school - it just sounds like smart shopping to me. :) Gives these folks the chance to interact with customers, too. It's win-win!

There is no art supply store near me, even within 40+ miles other than Hobby Lobby (an hour drive), which I will not support. We do have a Walmart, but you can't get decent art supplies there, so it's online for me unless I happen to be in Los Angeles.

I placed an order with amazon and needed some more stuff to get free shipping so I picked up a cheap watercolor palette and one of the mechanical erasers like the one Sno had mentioned.
20230913_104829.jpg

The palette has a crap load of extra half pans and can hold up to 20.

20230913_121346.jpg

I also grabbed a $5 pack of watercolor paints to go with the ones in my set.
20230913_180437.jpg

Last week I bought two bags, each weighing 25 kg, of rapid set concrete mix, plus several A0 size sheets of 3 and 5 mm foam board. I make moulds for the concrete from the foam board by cutting out profiles from it. After glueing together the profiles with PVA glue and reinforcing the moulds with wooden blocks, I paint them with gloss varnish. Concrete doesn't stick to the shiny varnish, so no mould release wax is needed.

A couple days ago at a thrift store, an art store clearance rack and a private sale:
Two nice aluminum poker chip cases for $4ea. I'll fit them for pastel storage (the smaller bits that I keep w the label for reordering).
The book "Painting Chinese Watercolor" by Lian Quan Zhen $4.
The book "Fundamentals of Pastel Painting" by Leonard Richmond and John Littlejohn $4.
The book "The Pleasures of Outdoor Sketching" by Clayton Hoagland $4.
A drawing clipboard 18x18" $4

Back