What are you working on?

Marc, what do you think of getting some contrast in there? That's really the only thing I see that could use improvement.
The surface is getting, well not the surface, but the image, unfortunate. Part is tinted underpainting, part opaque surface "real paint" Looking at it in real life It almost looks like a rough copy of someone else's painting. I'm not keen on the tinted portions because of this and may repaint the whole thing once it's locked down.

Part of the contrast issue is just the way it's photographing.

Congrats on the show Ayin !! Looks great. The lucky folks got to look and I'm sure they smiled. If you made just one person smile.....

From dinosaurs to sea turtles. This will be in full color with a lot of gold details. I'm on vacation this coming work so I'll be up to my elbows with this project :)

Sea Turtle 1.JPG

I recently submitted three paintings to be picked for a judged show on the east end of Long Island NY. It's put on by the East End Arts Council. I had to pay a fee to get them looked at but I figure even if they don't get picked, it's for good cause. The requirement is that the art has to be inspired by the east end of LI.

After all these years of keeping my paintings at home I decided that I would like to get some of them out in the public to be seen. I'm crazy enough to think that someone might enjoy them. It feels like I've reached a point where it's like....OK.....what next. I would be surprised if one of them gets picked. There are a lot a great artists out there and it's open to anyone. At least Pollack and de Kooning aren't there anymore.

But at least I'm taking a first step. I also want to join the organization. They're the closest art org to me. They hold art classes. I should force myself to take a sketching class. I hate sketching, I'm so bad at it.

If an artist is supposed to show some consistency of product I failed. One is a watercolor the other is an oil and the other is an acrylic/oil, all of different styles. But, as Daffy Duck says.......yoiks and away!!!

I'll post the paintings here in a little while. I need to get to the main computer first.

Last edited:
These are the three. larger mashomack.jpgacross the marsh winter solstice2.jpga peconic dream.jpg

The first "Mashomack" a smallish watercolor from twenty years ago. The second "Across the marsh - winter solstice" 16 x 20 inches an oil partly done plein air two years ago and the third is acrylic and oil, 16x20 "Peconic Dream" completed this year.

The third one "Peconic Dream" started as "Cheap Motel Art" . It was a completely different painting. A minimalist abstract. But by accident some textures still show through and add another layer if interest. One triangle shape echoes the sail boat sails. I rushed it out the door to meet the deadline and I wish I hadn't made the far shore that high key in color. Careless move. It's all I see now. But it's a wild painting anyhow so what the heck. Maybe I'll change that if it makes the show or not.

Thanks for looking and I'm curious if you all have a certain favorite.

I like the first one. It looks like an estuary of a river with small islands and a suggestion of travel to a land beyond. It's also the most finished, to my eye. Nice work. (y)

Hi John. I have to say that the third one is spectacular. It stands out to me as one of my favorites you have ever done. Something about it really speaks to me. It is beautiful in so many ways. It is something I would want on my walls and would want to live with in my home. ♥️

Once again, distracted by something new and shiny... :)
Setting the sea turtle aside, started a new project of my favorite subject, tropical birds. This blue and gold macaw will be paired with a contemporary design background with satin as a major design element. Have to see if it will look as good in a frame as it does in my head.
Blue and Gold Macaw WIP 1.JPG

I think it looks fine. If the client is "delighted", well...

But. The overall atmosphere is muted, it could use highlights. Judging by the shadows on the deck, the sun is about 45 degrees in the western sky. We could be seeing some sunlight on the water between the deck and horizon, left side...off those containers on the barge...off the mans pants, left leg...off that box in the lower right. It would only take a few hints of sunlight to brighten it. Just my humble opinion. :)

Last edited:
I agree but she wanted the background a bit blurred so the figures were the focal point. I also agree that there needs to be sunlight on the figures and all in the foreground but I have trouble making them up with no reference. :giggle:

Wow, you are working from someone else's memory, no reference and your client is delighted.
You should be very pleased with yourself you've accomplished a near impossible task!

Im writing a little fantasy story about a botanist exploring an ancient forest, the kindom in which this forest is,is affraid of it, because a prince once got missing in it.
And the kindom is poor, but recently discoverd gardens as a food source.
Because most of the land is coverd by this forest, they dont have many fields.

What was SOFA ART? Paintings made to match the sofa?
I dont know what sofa art is, but my grandmohter who makes art too,has a painting she matches to her pillow cases /sofa every once on a while. There are pillow cases in the picture and she repaints them to match her real life pillow cases.

What I've been working on and about to call it quits. Not my shining hour because I am working from no reference, just the description of someone's memory. The client is delighted with it but me, not so much.
View attachment 25484
I think this is wonderful, Sno! Sounds like you're working outside your comfort zone, from a description of someone's memory. That sounds magical! And this painting has a dream-like quality to it, where things like sun angles don't matter because the subjects are walking in a dream, or a memory of a dream. Out towards the sea and beyond! Your client is delighted, so maybe that's the feeling they are picking up from it, as well. Success!

Wow, you are working from someone else's memory, no reference and your client is delighted.
You should be very pleased with yourself you've accomplished a near impossible task!
It was not only someone else's memory but it was passed through a 3rd party. The daughter-in-law is relaying the memory from her Mother-in-law of the Father-in-law's memory. :LOL:

Back