What are you working on?

My latest is not a painting, it's organizing our plein air group's show at a local venue.

As most of you know, painting is an art form, framing is yet another related complete art form, and as it happens curating is yet another art form. Not sure what to call organizing other than "work"! LOL

For a few years I would voluntarily help a local gallerist friend with display organizing. I enjoyed that mightily. Most times he would take my advice on that. Sadly, that gallery closed years ago.

About a decade ago I took over a nonprofit organization that happened to have as one function/program an art gallery. One of my bucket list topics was running an art gallery or museum, so this was a side line that was a treat for me. Enjoyed working with some pros, though the organization's board were a bit too into politics for my taste regarding the gallery.

I've been in a couple of shows with my group, one of which I organized the painting sites for, but never actually did more than observe the actual organization of the show itself. So now here I am in that position. It's a shitload of work and not easy! If I every thought organizing our painting group was herding cats (happily most times but still...), this is like being ring master in a 3 ring circus featuring lots of cats. Cowabunga!

I may never see this done (that whole biting off more than you can chew thing likes to get the better of me) but I'm having fun with this at the moment. A dinosaur tail!

Gwangi WIP 2.JPG

This is incredibly creative. I see that you have a ways to go, but what you've already achieved looks great!

This is incredibly creative. I see that you have a ways to go, but what you've already achieved looks great!
Thank you Terri! I don't normally post in-progress images of projects this early but with the tail and half a leg/foot finished, it's looking promising that I'll see this done.

Thank you Terri! I don't normally post in-progress images of projects this early but with the tail and half a leg/foot finished, it's looking promising that I'll see this done.
I think that it is very interesting to see the progress of your work. Looking forward to see more. 🙂

I may never see this done (that whole biting off more than you can chew thing likes to get the better of me) but I'm having fun with this at the moment. A dinosaur tail!

View attachment 24313
Thank you for showing this; it has really piqued my interest! I would like to know more about your workflow, if you wouldn't mind sharing. I have a few questions:

1. How big is it?

2. Did you use software to generate the curve of the tail, or did you just draw it freehand?

3. Likewise for the lengths of the strips forming the arches. Did you calculate them, or eyeball them when you glued them on?

4. Please tell us more about those lozenge-shaped scales. Are they glued on?

You can probably guess that I want to steal your ideas. 😃

I'm not very good with anatomy as I've never really needed it before. (Well not as much anyway) So things may get pushed around a little.

Thank you for showing this; it has really piqued my interest! I would like to know more about your workflow, if you wouldn't mind sharing. I have a few questions:

1. How big is it?

2. Did you use software to generate the curve of the tail, or did you just draw it freehand?

3. Likewise for the lengths of the strips forming the arches. Did you calculate them, or eyeball them when you glued them on?

4. Please tell us more about those lozenge-shaped scales. Are they glued on?

You can probably guess that I want to steal your ideas. 😃
Thank you very much for your interest in this piece. Not often do I get asked about the nitty gritty. I've been taking WIP images as I work and will post them along with the final in a future thread. I'll go into more detail then. For now, though:
1. Roughly 18" x 24" I went BIG to capture the details.
2. Everything is drawn, including ALL the scales.
3. Some calculating is involved, allowing for the depth of the form. Even then, there's some trial and error.
4. Every scale is glued one at a time. After the glue dries, I push an embossing tool in the gaps, which makes the scales more pronounced. Embossing alone worked fine but to get them to really pop off the surface, the individual scales give it added depth and bolder shadows.

Aside from my recent Saint Louis Square sculpture, this is the first time I've embossed any of my work so this is all new to me.

Thank you again. Glad my T-Rex inspired you!

Thanks for the shots of your show, Ayin! What a beautiful gallery space - so open and well-lit. Your work looks so good!

Back