What are you working on?

Im writing a little fantasy story about a botanist exploring an ancient forest, the kindom in which this forest is,is affraid of it, because a prince once got missing in it.
And the kindom is poor, but recently discoverd gardens as a food source.
Because most of the land is coverd by this forest, they dont have many fields.
Sounds interesting, Flowercat! I am always curious about stories with botanists in them. (y) I do some writing every now and again, I generally end up with a bad draft of around 60-70k or so words, then I put it away and forget about it and get distracted by something else.

I seem to have let Inktober slip a little because it's given me ideas about a series of ink drawings I now want to try out.

I got a new idea, maybe for a story or a painting . What if a artist after an accident noticed that there is a City in is head, filled wiht all his wierd ideas.
A book themend cafe for example,where all the cake looks like books.
And he can talk to one of the people living in this city.

Sounds interesting, Flowercat! I am always curious about stories with botanists in them. (y) I do some writing every now and again, I generally end up with a bad draft of around 60-70k or so words, then I put it away and forget about it and get distracted by something else.

I seem to have let Inktober slip a little because it's given me ideas about a series of ink drawings I now want to try out.
Most of my storys stay in my head or get a bit put down on a few paper scraps that end up trashing up my desk until i lose intrest and find a new idea.
My creative side is like a hyperactive toddler recently. New ideas left and right. One crazyer that the ohter. But not enough patience to make anything out of any it.

I got a new idea, maybe for a story or a painting . What if a artist after an accident noticed that there is a City in is head, filled wiht all his wierd ideas.
A book themend cafe for example,where all the cake looks like books.
And he can talk to one of the people living in this city.
If you haven't already you should read Haruki Murakami's "Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World".
I picked it up in my student days, never heard of the author back then and really liked it.

Well folks I'm ecstatic to report that one of the three paintings I submitted was accepted to be shown at the gallery exhibition. And Ayin, it was the one you liked the most! I like it the most also.

I hope I don't get in trouble though because now I notice in the prospectus that they reserve the right to reject any works that have been altered since the acceptance. I just did some minor things like reducing the chroma of the far shore and accenting the beach part a little. There is no substantive change. I think they would have to be looking for a reason to do so. This is my first go-round with this kind of thing so maybe I can claim ignorance.

This is the final varnished version. Do we see the rabbit? :)

1666799164900.png

This is the website for the show. I didn't even realize that there is cash prizes! https://www.eastendarts.org/gallery/50-reasons-why.html

But arrgh there is a reception and I will have to talk to people! Guess I need a new shirt. Some artist spiel. Maybe some business cards? What am I getting into. I guess it could change my life. It's a little scary.

Advice gladly accepted.

I agree but she wanted the background a bit blurred so the figures were the focal point. I also agree that there needs to be sunlight on the figures and all in the foreground but I have trouble making them up with no reference. :giggle:

That's impressive, working on a figurative with no reference. I wouldn't know where to begin.

Well folks I'm ecstatic to report that one of the three paintings I submitted was accepted to be shown at the gallery exhibition. And Ayin, it was the one you liked the most! I like it the most also.

I hope I don't get in trouble though because now I notice in the prospectus that they reserve the right to reject any works that have been altered since the acceptance. I just did some minor things like reducing the chroma of the far shore and accenting the beach part a little. There is no substantive change. I think they would have to be looking for a reason to do so. This is my first go-round with this kind of thing so maybe I can claim ignorance.

View attachment 25533

This is the website for the show. I didn't even realize that there is cash prizes! https://www.eastendarts.org/gallery/50-reasons-why.html

But arrgh there is a reception and I will have to talk to people! Guess I need a new shirt. Some artist spiel. Maybe some business cards? What am I getting into. I guess it could change my life. It's a little scary.

Advice gladly accepted.
Congratulations!!! I see the rabbit. I love the changes. I'd also play ignorant if they say anything about it. It's still a stellar work. ♥️

Long update:

I'm working, and not working on a few different things. Mostly writing a book, but I say that with a question mark? It's a book's worth of vignettes. I'm about halfway done with the rough draft, I think. But I've also been going through a lot of depression and physical pain, so I've been trying to take it easy.

My 6-week show finally ended last weekend. It went, "okay." Not as I hoped, but I guess it could have gone worse. I shouldn't complain as I made some sales. I even sold six works on paper to Conan O'Brien and his wife Liza (and got to meet them) which was very cool, but I just barely came out even. This is my own fault for making too large of an investment in the show. I did make a "walk-through" video and stuck it up on YouTube if anyone wants to see it.

Now I'm trying to get back to painting. I just finished a piece I started during the show that is a continuation of a series I've been working on for a long time. Not a great photo, but here's that one:

5042911540804348989.jpg

And I started another for a new series, which I've hardly worked on at all. That one seems to be staying in the same place, but I work on it a tiny bit at a time here and there:

nightie-372.jpg

Then there are those gouache on paper collaborations that I have to get back to. I have to start two of those before Wednesday because my collab-partner is leaving the desert for a while and wants to have two with them to work on while they are away. I'll do my best and see if I can get those done in a hurry.

Finally, there are some mixed media abstracts I very much want to start (no hurry on those), but I have been having trouble figuring out the substraights for them. I don't know if they will be made on clay or wood. I got some clay to play with but firing them will be an issue. I also kinda hate how clay feels on my hands and they will be very heavy to hang on a wall, so I'd have to make them pretty small. Whereas, if I create them on wood, I can make them any size I want. I just have to figure out how to make a profile for them, which feels tricky to me.

We just bought a really great woodworking table, however. We painted the base with blue milk paint which was fun. That will help in making the substraights out of wood for sure.

woodtable.jpg

We also have a table saw and a jig saw, so maybe I'll go the way of wood. The clay seems daunting and even more expensive to me--renting a kiln and all. The pieces I want to make will be odd shapes, not squares or rectangles. They will be oil paint, paper, and fabric. If they were on clay, they wouldn't have those elements, but they would have texture instead.

So that's what's up with me lately. Sorry I've been absent on the forums.

I hope you all are having a great autumn so far. :)

What's the latest painting or project you've been working on? Describe it or post a work in progress (if you feel like it). Would love to know! Perhaps this thread will keep us on our toes.
I found a FB site where members can share one painting a month from focus images. This is my first - probably a WIP. Image of pindan sands I from northern Wrstern Australia, around Broome area.
Great thread for me. A WIP expert. :)
IMG_20221030_084357_580.jpg

Your first one Ayin, is very interesting, almost an enigma, and I love the second one already!❤️ Congrats on the neat work table too! (y)

Jennie, I love this piece, SO MUCH! It's so cool!

Zen, thank you very much!

Sno, an enigma, eh? Wow. That is kinda cool. Thanks for the kudos on the second one. I'm scared to finish it I think. :ROFLMAO:

This is fantastic Olive. I love it!

I have a painting where I purposely put some acrylic over the oil to get a crackle effect and it worked well, but I had to "fix"(varnish) it after in case any of the crackle bits might fall off. I don't know if that "fixes" anything, but so far so good.

View attachment 436

From now on, I would go this route (what you did in the first place) where I'd make the underneath the crackle and put the oil over the acrylic. That would be a more efficient way of doing it to be safe. Oil on acrylic=okay. The other way around=not okay.
That’s an awesome work!

Nice looking show Ayin. Cool seeing the works you've shown here in a gallery. I like the igloo with the antennas. :)

The collab with the women is really good. I like it. And that poor melting brain author! Walking the tight rope of emotions.

I just saw an artist and she works with marquetry ? The sections of wood inlaid. A scroll saw would be best for that I think. Not sure if just using a craft knife would work. Just a thought if you want to do that sectioned look.

View attachment 25533

Advice gladly accepted.
Beautiful Work

Long update:

I'm working, and not working on a few different things. Mostly writing a book, but I say that with a question mark? It's a book's worth of vignettes. I'm about halfway done with the rough draft, I think. But I've also been going through a lot of depression and physical pain, so I've been trying to take it easy.

My 6-week show finally ended last weekend. It went, "okay." Not as I hoped, but I guess it could have gone worse. I shouldn't complain as I made some sales. I even sold six works on paper to Conan O'Brien and his wife Liza (and got to meet them) which was very cool, but I just barely came out even. This is my own fault for making too large of an investment in the show. I did make a "walk-through" video and stuck it up on YouTube if anyone wants to see it.

Now I'm trying to get back to painting. I just finished a piece I started during the show that is a continuation of a series I've been working on for a long time. Not a great photo, but here's that one:

View attachment 25697

And I started another for a new series, which I've hardly worked on at all. That one seems to be staying in the same place, but I work on it a tiny bit at a time here and there:

View attachment 25698

Then there are those gouache on paper collaborations that I have to get back to. I have to start two of those before Wednesday because my collab-partner is leaving the desert for a while and wants to have two with them to work on while they are away. I'll do my best and see if I can get those done in a hurry.

Finally, there are some mixed media abstracts I very much want to start (no hurry on those), but I have been having trouble figuring out the substraights for them. I don't know if they will be made on clay or wood. I got some clay to play with but firing them will be an issue. I also kinda hate how clay feels on my hands and they will be very heavy to hang on a wall, so I'd have to make them pretty small. Whereas, if I create them on wood, I can make them any size I want. I just have to figure out how to make a profile for them, which feels tricky to me.

We just bought a really great woodworking table, however. We painted the base with blue milk paint which was fun. That will help in making the substraights out of wood for sure.

View attachment 25699

We also have a table saw and a jig saw, so maybe I'll go the way of wood. The clay seems daunting and even more expensive to me--renting a kiln and all. The pieces I want to make will be odd shapes, not squares or rectangles. They will be oil paint, paper, and fabric. If they were on clay, they wouldn't have those elements, but they would have texture instead.

So that's what's up with me lately. Sorry I've been absent on the forums.

I hope you all are having a great autumn so far. :)
That's one hell of a lot, my friend. Totally exciting to hear that Conan O'Brien bought six (!!) pieces from you. You don't get to say that every day. I know that show was rough in several ways so, in that regard, I'm glad it's done. I LOVE both these new paintings, especially the 2nd one. That's part of the series from family photos, yes? I can't stop looking at it. The detail, those expressions.

The woodworking table looks beautiful! Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Thanks for the link to the walk through video. Was that you on the drums in the Ricky Lee Jones song, by any chance? ;)

Back