What are you working on?

think it's your nose and chin perspective. Right nostril is showing more than it should which makes the nose look wonked. If the nose is pointing the wrong way that'll make the rest look wrong. In her left side on the ref image her nose is in shadow which is making it a bit harder to see the 3d form. Get both nostrils in line and I think it should sort itself out :)

think it's your nose and chin perspective. Right nostril is showing more than it should which makes the nose look wonked. If the nose is pointing the wrong way that'll make the rest look wrong. In her left side on the ref image her nose is in shadow which is making it a bit harder to see the 3d form. Get both nostrils in line and I think it should sort itself out :)
Good point
I see that now. You can look at something so long you kind of get blind to it.

Artyczar I'm happy that the last weekend went as you and your art deserved, your wonderful work.

KatShealy very very beautiful the drawings you have published.

I agree with the feedback, I agree with what drizzlewither said about self-learning .drizzlewither your art is wonderful and it is amazing what you are creating during inktober.

Thank you Joe. I appreciate you having your thoughts with me. I am completely exhausted. Now I have been slowly putting everything away, which is a lot of work, but feels good. :)

Arty,good to hear that your show was an eventual success, your set up looked inviting, it would have made me want to investigate:).
I have put my paints away for a bit and am currently trying to teach myself Painter 20/21 which was going really cheap on Humblebundle;) and also another couple of digi programmes as well.I'm also drawing with charcoal and pens almost everyday atm but because I'm not stood at an easel feel as tho I'm sort of just fiddling haha

Fiddling is good! That is called working in my book. I haven't even been doing any of that and wish I was. I won't be able to get back to that for at least another week.

joe1lt - aw thanks for that! I'm pretty happy with how Inktober has gone for me (and I'm not often happy hahaha). So many things I've never drawn before, so many things I'd never have thought to draw.

---

Other than Inktober, I have recently been making some advances in the War Against Chickenscratch. Drew hands using the dip pen. This is pretty neat check it out. (Please ignore that anatomy and form and such are all over the place , this is at the moment purely about trying to put a line where it should go and nowhere else!)

1. Chickenscratchy biro

sketch-hands-biro.png

2. Patrician dip pen

sketch-hands-dip.png

So yeah, I definitely want to do a lot more drawing with dip pen. I have 2 problems with that -

firstly the risk of MESS. I bought a teeny preserves jar and have been decanting ink into that so I can dip the nib - but upsetting it is a definite possibility with my clumsiness and that would be a NIGHTMARE SITUATION.

Secondly, my sketchbooks do not like this stuff. It bled through hard even on the one with thicker paper and on my standard cheapo one it not only went through to the back but leaked onto the next page after that! I don't think I can justify the expense of high quality paper books just to screw around in. I could try drawing on looseleaf printer paper but since that's even worse quality than my cheapest sketchbook I suspect I'll get a lot of feathering.

---

My other project I want to do (has been on the to-do list for a long while) is digital painting self-portrait thing. It came up on a different art prompt generator and I dutifully added it to my list on Habitica where it has been slowly festering. So I did some preliminary scribbles for that this afternoon.

These don't look like chickenscratches to me. They look pretty well-rendered and confident. Anyway, keep on going. You'll get through the little frustrations.

Today I prepped a bunch of Ampersand Claybords. I had bought ten 24x30 panels on deep clearance awhile back and they had some dinged corners, a couple small surface scars and torn wrappers. I cut four of them up w my table saw in sizes ranging from 12x24, 10x20 and 6x18 down to 3x5, and prepped most of them w pumice gel, and a couple others w gesso and watercolor ground.

Today I prepped a bunch of Ampersand Claybords. I had bought ten 24x30 panels on deep clearance awhile back and they had some dinged corners, a couple small surface scars and torn wrappers. I cut four of them up w my table saw in sizes ranging from 12x24, 10x20 and 6x18 down to 3x5, and prepped most of them w pumice gel, and a couple others w gesso and watercolor ground.
You have been busy.

drizzlewither nice work with my hands (time ago I drew them for a while, now I haven't done them for a long time, other thing I have to remember to do), learning how to use deep pen was one of the things I wanted to learn, I made up my mind at the beginning year of buying it, but I still used it very little, to try lines, I still haven't learned how to use it, taken in a mini set, I didn't buy ink, to use, try first bowl I already had, the one for lamy fountain pen safari.

for the paper I would like to suggest the paper for the printer but with higher weight.
2 years ago I had read on WC, in Arnoud's comment, that the sheets for the printer were good for ink. thicker than the 80 gram one.

I bought A4 ream, 160g, 250 sheets
I liked it, it did not pass the ink, in the end I also used it with the pencil that reams it, the single sheets I found them more inviting than the scketchbook or album, even if cheap it makes me think or rethink, instead the reams invites you to draw more, to try again .orend a new sheet.
however 160 g did not penetrate, I finished I did not find it and took a thicker a3, also to try to draw bigger, but sometimes I divide it into 2. 160 grams, however, I liked it more, I would try 160 g or 200 g in thickness, both for price but because it seemed more comfortable and even these do not pierce ink.

for the paper I would like to suggest the paper for the printer but with higher weight.
2 years ago I had read on WC, in Arnoud's comment, that the sheets for the printer were good for ink. thicker than the 80 gram one.

I bought A4 ream, 160g, 250 sheets
I liked it, it did not pass the ink, in the end I also used it with the pencil that reams it, the single sheets I found them more inviting than the scketchbook or album, even if cheap it makes me think or rethink, instead the reams invites you to draw more, to try again .orend a new sheet.
however 160 g did not penetrate, I finished I did not find it and took a thicker a3, also to try to draw bigger, but sometimes I divide it into 2. 160 grams, however, I liked it more, I would try 160 g or 200 g in thickness, both for price but because it seemed more comfortable and even these do not pierce ink.

Joe thanks so much for that comment

My printer paper is only 75gsm :( But it's what I have available right now so I'll have to make do. I just tried it after seeing your comment! It does bleed through to the back but that's ok, I can put something sacrificial like newspaper underneath it. It doesn't feather as bad as I expected. I definitely won't be able to do watercolor/ink washes for values :( But for line drawings only this should work! Now I need to make it a thing to do more general sketching with the dip pen.

I prefer books to loose papers myself because it makes me try harder - with loose paper it's easy for me to go "bleh this isn't working, let's throw it away and start again" (And then keep doing that and never finish anything), but if it's in a book I feel like I have to try to make it work.

Back