What are you working on?

Whelp! Today is the first day of the open studios tour. We will be putting out the signs in a couple of hours. I think I'm ready. It looks as good as I can make it--it being a garage. Wish me luck? I will not be around this weekend (and never am on Sundays), but will check back in later this afternoon after 5:00 my time if I have the energy. Hopefully Terri and Kay will be around if anyone needs anything.

Here are a couple of shots of the garage now. It is what it is, right?

garageangel.jpg

garage-10-8-2021.jpg

Your set up looks great and you got a lot in without it looking crowded. Fingers crossed for you. Now wait.

All the best. what a wondeful place.
I must say, your works are astonishing. feeding to the mind.
well done.

It looks great - full of your artwork, but nicely spaced so nothing competes. Great job! Good luck!

....I think we have the same green rug. 🤔

Thank you for the congrats. I appreciate it. Still doesn't seem real. Can't wait to see your new illustration drizzle.

Here is the painting I sold:

Oil on canvas, 34 x 34 inches: Girl in a Boat:
congrats on the sale! sure feels good eh? 😁

i would have stayed in my pajamas. you're an artist... might as well look the part! :ROFLMAO:

Thanks my friends! ♥️

It went strangely today. I made some sales, but the foot traffic was very slow. Only a few people. Because of the misprints in the catalogs, people do not know I'm open all three weekends. They think I'm only participating the last weekend (that's what the catalog says). My first customer happened to email me about how disappointed she was that I wasn't going to be open today. I had to email her back to tell her, "I'm here! I'm here!" and if she hadn't tried to contact me, she wouldn't have known. I wouldn't have made that sale.

Despite my signs in the neighborhood, it's probably going to be like this until the 23rd. I'll try to put more signs out on the main highway maybe. Also, the event's navigation app is only available for Apple (iPhone users), not Android phones. Many people won't be able to find me because of that too, as the directions to my house was also wrong in their catalog. :(

Had a rough ride with today's Inktober. I fudged up badly when I started inking so turned the paper over and redid the whole thing on the other side. Version 2 is still a bit fudged up but not as bad as it would have been if I'd tried to rescue the first attempt. Perspective got me ahaha. I didn't do enough preparation + figuring out in sketchbook. (I did a ton of preparation, more than usual but not enough)

those are such interesting paintings Artyczar. I forget, what medium are you doing? is it acrylic?

Sorry about the fudge-ups drizzle. I know how that can be. Art can be a bumpy ride some days. (Many days! :ROFLMAO: )

All those paintings are oil, and laid on pretty thick. Or sorts thick. Ya. :)

With that (un)advertising, I'm glad you had traffic at all. Maybe add a yard sale sign below your road signs. Or, an "art sale" sign. That worked in Tucson! Your work is wonderful, your display is well set up. Best wishes over the next weekends.

Drizzle, perspective can be a real bugaboo, can't it. Glad you were able to redo and end with a piece you are happier with.

I haven't been doing so much oil painting recently, I seem to have hit a wall. But I did finally get a watercolor area set up and have been working with gouache, a medium I've never used before. I was given some tubes, brushes, and plastic palettes a few years ago. Some tubes were already dried out, so I'm using chunks of that paint. I haven't opened any yet to use the fluid paint. And I may finally have a place to dedicate to just drawing. And I've been crocheting over an hour a day, many days.

I'm so glad to hear you're working ntl. That's so wonderful to hear you have a space set up.
Thanks for the advice on the signs. I was also surprised anyone showed up at all too. Yesterday was almost the same as Saturday, but a little better as far as people showing up. Less sales, more people. My next door neighbor bought an etching. I think that's all I got. I heard from them (they are artists that have lived here a long time) that the second weekend of this thing is usually better in the Joshua Tree area. We'll see. 🤞

That is good to hear about your art tour. Word of mouth is always the best advertising method. Did you post anything about it on other social media e.g. FB, Twitter, IG?

Thanks Kay. Yes, I've promoted a lot on IG. I don't use the other social media outlets anymore. I also keep a blog. I'm not allowed to say anything negative about the tours though, so it's been pretty hard to navigate that. I can only talk about the corrections.

Completed my "sweets set" of acrylic studies yesterday

acrylic-sweets-set.png

Used that troll tube of "iridescent white" on the polo-mint wrapper so it's all shiny in the light, a legitimate use for the stuff!
Had trouble with the dolly-mixtures, couldn't get the values, couldn't mix the colors. that packet should be obnoxious. Pretty sure there's no legitimate way to get hot pink and turquoise out of vermilion/cadmium yellow/cobalt blue/white and two earthtones but that's all I have access to for now. ahhh no money and all the local art stores died out because of covid. :(
Snickers is my fav.

I want to do something with values next. I have two old tubes of hobbycraft black, real cheap student grade stuff. I wouldn't want to use black on a color painting but for value study think I can pair it with my pot of white (regular white not the iridescent troll tube).

Back