What are you working on?

One possible solution is to raise the painting up and allow the top foot or so to curl over and hang down. I have actually done that before in the studio in spite of a nearly 12' ceiling.

Been pottering around with oils, a medium I have not used in several years, and about which I remain rather ambivalent...

20-8 Karoo landscape with figures Oil on Masonite 20 x 25 cm.JPG

Karoo landscape. Oil on Masonite, 20 x 25 cm (= about 8 x 10 inch)

Yes Brian, you should. You've done very well and after you play around for a bit with them, you may find you love them. You will learn all sorts of things they will do for you. :giggle:

Yes Brian, you should. You've done very well and after you play around for a bit with them, you may find you love them. You will learn all sorts of things they will do for you. :giggle:

Oh, I have actually used them before. I love the rich color and the way in which they keep visible brush strokes. But boy, is it a sticky and difficult to control medium. :)

Try dipping your brush in walnut oil or similar, wiping it on a paper towel and then picking up the paint with it. Won't be so sticky then.

Been working on my newsletter on and off for the last few days. Those things take me a long time to throw together. I mean, they appear to be thrown together, but they actually take me some time. I put them out four times a year. I have a friend that puts one out once a week! I don't know how she does it, except that they are much, much shorter and include one image. Two at the most. But I can't make one painting a week, let along accumulate that much "news."

Anyway, I just proofed it and will be sending it out in a few. For those of you that want to get onto my mailing list, now is the time. ;)

https://esart.com/contact/join/

Now, back to painting.

studiohorse.jpg

som
Awhile back -maybe 10 years ago?- in the middle of the night I woke up laughing hysterically at the thought of some "sound - alike" comparisons like your "bach-hound" I slept with an 11"x14" sketchbook so I started writing them down as fast as I could, tears of laughter streaming down my face. The ideas coming to me as fast as I could write and wipe away the tears. That night and over the next day or two I filled up 12 pages of the notebook with such stuff. Some were really good, others not so much. I later became a little worried about myself, and remember researching if there was some kind of stroke or mental disorder to account for it (I was stone-cold sober while this was going on). I went on to make some back and white paintings, and panels but put it away as I already had a full plate at the time and felt I needed to focus my energies.

STILL on the Weber. Making some progress, would have preferred more. Been working on mixing grayed greens. Using a naples yellow and Manganese blue, and haven't been able to get any green that I deem appropriate so will expand the colors...

I'm working on (or fiddling around on the internet to avoid working on, to be more precise) a painting of George Floyd. Right now it's just a digital version, and it's taken eons to get to a reasonably good likeness. Working title: "He touched the world..." (Floyd had once mentioned it was something he had hoped to do).
Floyd composite 5.jpg

I've actually worked a little further on the face since this version and the game plan is to do an oil study of the face alone, since that's the trickiest part for me. If I can pull that off, then on to tackle the full version, which will probably be cropped somewhat tighter. Feedback would be greatly appreciated. Is he recognizable? Is it too unsubtle?

Last edited:
This is fantastic Olive. I love it!

I have a painting where I purposely put some acrylic over the oil to get a crackle effect and it worked well, but I had to "fix"(varnish) it after in case any of the crackle bits might fall off. I don't know if that "fixes" anything, but so far so good.

View attachment 436

From now on, I would go this route (what you did in the first place) where I'd make the underneath the crackle and put the oil over the acrylic. That would be a more efficient way of doing it to be safe. Oil on acrylic=okay. The other way around=not okay.
I wonder if it might be possible to ensure it's survival by creating a very thick layer (or probably multiple layers, with drying of each before the next was applied) of some sort of alkyd resin on top. I'd think the crackles would still show, but the whole thing would be sort of encased in resin so (I think) it wouldn't degrade. The downside would be a shiny finish, which might not be what you're going for.

Don't quote me on this idea, though...I'm just speculating! I also wonder about some sort of polyurethane coating, but again, I'm speculating (wildly).

Last edited:
som

Awhile back -maybe 10 years ago?- in the middle of the night I woke up laughing hysterically at the thought of some "sound - alike" comparisons like your "bach-hound" I slept with an 11"x14" sketchbook so I started writing them down as fast as I could, tears of laughter streaming down my face. The ideas coming to me as fast as I could write and wipe away the tears. That night and over the next day or two I filled up 12 pages of the notebook with such stuff. Some were really good, others not so much. I later became a little worried about myself, and remember researching if there was some kind of stroke or mental disorder to account for it (I was stone-cold sober while this was going on). I went on to make some back and white paintings, and panels but put it away as I already had a full plate at the time and felt I needed to focus my energies.

Mental disorder you say? Now in my case that would explain a lot... :)

Enjoyed your pictures, particularly the nurse/norse one. :)

Back