What are you working on?

I am feeling really blah about my work in recent days, probably because I've been sick! I know I should just give myself a break. I have about 10-15 abstract compositions that I sketched out for those bag pieces, and I just have no motivation to work on them. It doesn't feel like it's a physical thing completely. It feels mental, like my heart left the whole idea when I was originally very excited about it. What happened?

Well, I wanted to do them all regardless of what my gallery thought of them. I always do what I want regardless of what anyone thinks. However, I did get some feedback from my gallerist after I did the first one and he didn't say anything horrible, but he said he preferred my work with some representational elements in it. I wonder if that feedback is subconsciously picking at me. I mean, it might be, but I still really like the compositions I made, regardless.

I don't know what's up. I guess I'm just sick and I should stop thinking about it.

I have been out of inspiration for a couple of months, even though I have been trying (hard) to make myself paint. I think you and I both need to just fugetabout it for a while and then maybe we can get re-motivated. :giggle: ;)

This is the first in a series of 5 so far, SoCal:The Chaos After the Big One Hits
SoCal tcatboh smaller.JPG

... the chaos that exists after ‘the big one’ hits. Our feeble buildings are no match for the awesome power of nature. The surviving elements of man made structures exist only as a disarray of hard edges and coloured planes. Discord, disorder, and disarray command the field.

Claude, I really like that painting. Good concept. I have no idea what will happen here after the big one hits, but the one in 71 and 94 were big enough for me!

Brain, I LOVE your animals SO much! I really love the style of them. I hope you make more.

Claude, I really like that painting. Good concept. I have no idea what will happen here after the big one hits, but the one in 71 and 94 were big enough for me!
Thank you for your kind words. As to what will result if/when 'the big one hits' SoCal, your guess is most likely better than mine. I am currently enjoying painting abstracts that display chaos in my minds eye.

I've gotta mow the lawn AGAIN!!! :mad: this morning. Then I'm off to the hardware store to pick up some paint, primer, brushes, and rollers so I can knock out the walls in the bedroom studio this weekend and actually start working in the studio early next week. I'll probably need to pick up a new fan and a chair as well.

ps... I'll definitely need to pick up some pastel pencils. Working on a smaller scale :mad: means that pastel pencils will likely be a necessity as opposed to the big chunky pastel sticks.

Last edited:
I have been experimenting with making quick pencil sketches and then adding color digitally...I have ceased to take art so seriously. Getting anything to look really real has eluded me for decades, so now I cheerfully stick to my cartoonish kind of style. :)

Brian, your drawings above are totally charming! I’ve (always) loved your work...the little you show of it. Maybe it’s because I stick to my cartoonish style, too and “understand.”

Being a cartoon is all I know, you know?

Show more!

Brian, your drawings above are totally charming! I’ve (always) loved your work...the little you show of it. Maybe it’s because I stick to my cartoonish style, too and “understand.”

Being a cartoon is all I know, you know?

In my case, I grew up with comics, particularly Hergé's Tintin books, and I just never could shake them off. It's partly also why I like post-impressionism so much - there is often something there of comic book art, with strong outlines and flat areas of color. :)

Show more!

I don't actually have all that much to show, because a great deal of what I do is just sketching on pieces of scrap paper, of which I accumulate heaps that eventually end up in the fire. I don't keep a record of all of it. Found a neat way to go about it: video footage of animals. Pause it at random moments, make a quick sketch, run a second or two, pause again, quick sketch, etc. That way one gets a feel for the 3D shape of the animal (or person, in the somewhat rare cases that I sketch people).

20 DSC_0686.JPG

2020 0219_165737.jpg

2020 DSC_0641b.JPG

I have now taken to illustrating my answers on Quora with quick sketches, but even there I seldom spend more than 20 minutes on a sketch. That's no way to become a great artist, but it's more fun than working on a thing for hours and days, only to end up with a stiff, amateurish and grossly out of proportion monstrosity.

And thus, even my "complete" drawings are quick sketches. :)

20 DSC_0697.JPG

I occasionally do actual cartoons, but I seldom have ideas for any...

ddia14n-6b4e8190-2a7d-4137-aacf-4898db5629ce.jpg

And they're not always for small kids, such as this gnome in for a gnasty surprise...

gnome and gnasty surprise.jpg

Brian, can I just say, WOW!? I really love your style. And your sense of humor. And the little lambs remind me a Chagall! I love the dogs and the birds, and the colored cartoons are so cool! Please stop putting anything in the fire. I don't know, maybe I should put my stuff in the fire then. I love your work. Thank you for showing more of it. Keep it coming! I love the ibex too.

Brian, I agree with Sno and Arty. Keep posting more of these and stop burning them... at least not without having properly photographed them. The dogs are especially fine gestures. Keep doing more of these. I understand the frustration in moving to finished paintings. Gestural work always has the advantage of a freshness and spontaneity. Without a lot of experience in completing a painting, it can end up looking stiff and dead. As for the proportions appearing wrong: Begin with the gesture... get the movement and the proportions right then build upon that. If you find after a certain amount of time you've lost the gesture and proportion... erase it or paint over it and do the gesture again. Try it the way we were taught in art school: Keep making your rapid gesture sketches. These are like the practice of playing scale for a musician. Over time... spend half of your drawing time making drawings that you spend an increasing amount of time on: 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 20 minutes, a half hour, an hour, etc... Bring various media into your work: charcoal, color pencil, pastel, watercolor.

St. Luke, the above seems like a lot of trouble. :LOL: Can't he just settle on how his work turns out the way it turns out?

Ha! Since I was so “demanding,” thanks for showing us your work. You’re good at capturing the “soul of a thing.” And didn’t you once mention something about doing children’s books? And you’ve also taught kids? I’ve read a ton of them in my day, and worked at a children’s museum, and once did illustrations for a toddler activity book. So, because I think I’m big enough know it all, I vote yes on THAT grand plan. Of you being a children’s book illustrator. The full circle of cartoony life...

Good luck.

And there you have more pressure...😊

Brian, I agree with Sno and Arty. Keep posting more of these and stop burning them... at least not without having properly photographed them. The dogs are especially fine gestures. Keep doing more of these. I understand the frustration in moving to finished paintings. Gestural work always has the advantage of a freshness and spontaneity. Without a lot of experience in completing a painting, it can end up looking stiff and dead. As for the proportions appearing wrong: Begin with the gesture... get the movement and the proportions right then build upon that. If you find after a certain amount of time you've lost the gesture and proportion... erase it or paint over it and do the gesture again. Try it the way we were taught in art school: Keep making your rapid gesture sketches. These are like the practice of playing scale for a musician. Over time... spend half of your drawing time making drawings that you spend an increasing amount of time on: 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 20 minutes, a half hour, an hour, etc... Bring various media into your work: charcoal, color pencil, pastel, watercolor.

I never had the benefit of any kind of art education, so I had to plod along and discover things for myself that might have taken me three weeks to discover at art school.The importance of gesture was one of these. I found that with enough of those you no longer have to worry about painstakingly measuring everything - after a while the proportions seem to almost fix themselves. And thus, rather weirdly, when I eventually gave up on ever getting proportions right, my proportions finally greatly improved. They'll probably never be perfect, but for my purposes they don't have to be. (I suspect a perfect eye for proportion is to a significant extent genetic, and you have it or you don't).

Similarly, I began to work out that a "complete" drawing is not something fundamentally different from a gesture. It starts with a gesture, and then, unlike the gesture, you keep on adding stuff until the drawing is more complete.

Last but not least I began to realize that however two-dimensional a drawing or painting may be, it is essential to conceive of one's subject matter in 3D terms. Otherwise you remain forced to try to make copies of photos. I have developed an extreme aversion to trying to make copies of anything. No doubt classically trained artists will tell me this is a mistake, but I am beyond caring. :)

I also realized, incidentally, that most of my artistic career was poisoned by that book so widely touted as a miracle, Betty Edwards' Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. It's kind of ironic, because discovering and working through that book was what put me on the artistic path to begin with. Initially, it seemed to induce almost miraculous progress. And then, for the next two or three frickin' decades, it prevented me from getting any further.

As for keeping all my sketches, I make bazillions of them nowadays, and I really just don't have space. I do put some of them in a box. But they are all done on pieces of scrap paper (you can even see the pictures and/or printing showing through from the other side on some of my pictures here) so they won't last anyway.

What I wonder is how, before the time of cheap paper, artist went about sketching. How do you make hundreds or thousands of gesture sketches without access to cheap paper? I have to wonder, because nowadays I don't see how else one will ever make progress.

Ha! Since I was so “demanding,” thanks for showing us your work. You’re good at capturing the “soul of a thing.” And didn’t you once mention something about doing children’s books? And you’ve also taught kids? I’ve read a ton of them in my day, and worked at a children’s museum, and once did illustrations for a toddler activity book. So, because I think I’m big enough know it all, I vote yes on THAT grand plan. Of you being a children’s book illustrator. The full circle of cartoony life...

Good luck.

And there you have more pressure...😊

I am in fact the proud writer and illustrator of several self-published children's books, and I can count on my two hands the number of copies sold thus far (including the ones bought by family and friends. :D )

But yes, it is a niche that sort of works for me, because a cartoonish style is no drawback there.

My main income does come from giving weekly lessons at a local private school. One may think I have no business giving lessons, considering how much I have to learn myself, but it is that or starvation, and besides, I seem to be fairly good at it. Check out the progress this kid made in six months:

Declan progress.jpg

Plus, I found that I learn as much or more from them as they do from me. Anyway, that used to be my only income. Then Covid-19 closed down the school, at least temporarily. So we'll have to see whether that will continue in the new normal.

I also do more conventional painting, and even now and then manage to sell some. Or, er, managed - Covid-19 wiped out that market too, at least for the moment.

Back