What are you working on?

Love it Jocelyne! ❤️❤️❤️
Now Lily is making a point
0E9EC019-F6A1-41BF-B4C5-C6C35635624D.jpeg

I think I finally figured out the hardest thing about being a painter. How to frame the paintings. I have had store bought, hand made, custom gold, wood, black, none, combinations of the above etc etc. All of these were on the walls. With abstracts and landscapes and portraits of fish and twigs. We have a small living room.

Maybe I've been inside too much but it all started looking cluttered, garish and well, a bit eccentric. Like my current brain I now want the walls more minimal and uncluttered. Climate catastrophe symbolism is bad feng shui or something.

So after much thought and research I'm currently liking a simple chestnut wood stained strip frame. Nailed to the stretcher. 1 1/2 inches deep and the face is 1/4 inch wide. Easy for me to make, unobtrusive and with every painting in the living room framed the same way there will some consistency. The wood looks nice. It works well with landscapes. Right now all I want in the living room is landscapes. And only my "nice" ones. It feels like I'm giving up to mere pretty. Conceding a partial victory?

But I wish I had painted my three oil canvasses all the way to the edges at least. After framing I had to carefully fill in all the blanks. Fun color matching exercise.

I'll post a photo or two after they go on the wall.

You guys worry about the framing thing? I guess for pro/commercial it's different?

Last edited:
I only worry about framing when it comes to work on paper or thinner canvases, and only when it comes to displaying them for exhibition. Otherwise, I usually work on a thick edge. The canvases are a couple of inches thick and I don't mind if some of the paint gets on that edge. If they get dirty, I'll sometimes re-paint them white, and very rarely I will wrap the paint around the edge. I don't do it often because it's really up to the buyer how they want to frame it, or not frame it.

The works on panel are also a couple inches thick and have a nice wood finish on the edges. I'm careful not to get paint on those. But I do paint all the way to the edge of all my works.

With the 3/4-inch canvases, I will frame them with a simple maple edging and a black background that floats the canvas about 1/8 inch all the way around the edge-so you hardly see that black background. It's attaches to the stretcher--probably like what you are talking about.

With work on paper, the most expensive, I float those in a nice maple frame so you can see the edges of the paper. I'll look around for some photos to show you some examples. :)

Yes, framing is a bitch!

EDIT:

Here is what I mean about the thinner canvases 3/4 inch:

_DSC9405_Space_Rabbit_Ranch.jpg

Thicker canvases:

canvas2.jpg

Work on paper:

paper.jpg

Work on panel:

woodedge.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still figuring out sketches for the next five paintings. I've also been preoccupied with other personal stuff, but I think as of this weekend, I have my plans in place now and all I have to do is redraw everything onto the surfaces I'm using. I'm doing three oils and two larger watercolors, and these are the scribbles for them. A couple of them you've seen already:

phonewires.jpg

bikedrawing72.jpg

JTAbstract72.jpg

JTigloodrawing72.jpg

last is an abstract portrait format:

portraitrocks72.jpg

I never paint the edges. I generally use thin maple frames like the ones that Arty uses with a space so they are ready to hang. Later they can change them or buy one at the gallery if they sell them.
5FF97DAF-39E9-4875-B45A-E32B2F08B023.jpeg

Thanks for posting those pics Arty. I like how all those paintings are presented. I also really like how they look as paintings. Something about being on a wall makes them more real, rather than just an image on the monitor. I'm on the fence about the floating frame look. It's a little harder for to make and I'm not sure it looks any better than a plain strip frame. I know it's currently in favor so maybe it's just me.

Anyhow this how I'm doing it now for the landscapes. I'm going frame the watercolors this way also with them mounted on board and varnished with acrylic. No glass.

sound waves framed.jpg
wading river framed.jpg

...and from now on I have to paint to the edge. Now I need to correct it because those clouds ending there will bug me. Pay no attention to the clouds on the right edge. :)

Must be impressive to see all your work hanging in one room. The Colors and the mood and the scenes that are so representative of where you live. Love love love Carol.

Back