What are you up to?

Dave, that's so cool! My husband was an aerial photographer back in the day, and he flew out of the same small airport for years. Had a great relationship with the tower guys. Kind of an unsung hero type of job. Respect! :)

Brandi - I've been reading about the severe weather systems in your neck of the woods. Glad you got through it safely. Hope your luck continues!

Fabulous shots, Marc! You're so lucky to have witnessed this and gotten these. Yay!

Sno, that sounds like the kind of country I would be scared to live in. :LOL: Yikes!!

On my early morning walk, saw the moon paying visits to his friends the dove and the hadeda ibis, before going to sleep among the tree branches... :)

20240525_064920.jpg

20240525_070654.jpg

20240525_071555.jpg

I love the second one so much, I snatched it like a thief and did a crop (plus an overall lightening, since I'm actually terrible in photo editing software and made a slight outline worse). :rolleyes:

But I instantly saw this in my mind's eye:

BrianVDS from CS cropped.jpg

It could be cropped a little more along the bottom, but you get the general idea. Please don't take offense at my audacity. ;) I love this bird and the moon! You have a good eye. :)

I love the second one so much, I snatched it like a thief and did a crop (plus an overall lightening, since I'm actually terrible in photo editing software and made a slight outline worse). :rolleyes:

But I instantly saw this in my mind's eye:

View attachment 40830

It could be cropped a little more along the bottom, but you get the general idea. Please don't take offense at my audacity. ;) I love this bird and the moon! You have a good eye. :)

I debated with myself whether I wanted to go with this sort of minimalist crop, like I did in this one:

2024 Dove and clouds.jpg

Hi. Beware of some major picture (and word) hogging up ahead. And yes...one MUST crop!

So, the other day, I went for my second visit to the local botanical garden. (During the first visit, I accidentally got sunscreen in my eyes and so I was squinting and burning and watering the whole time and couldn’t wait to get home to wash it all out. So I didn’t see much.)

This visit also started out shaky when we meandered into a castle-dragon-moat thing and within a few minutes we had lost track of each other. Now, hub is 6’2 and walks fast and I’m 5’3 and walk slow and so our hiking around together usually involves a sort of meandering back and forth. It’s been like this…always. I wasn’t that worried and figured I’d find him someplace later somewhere and so continued strolling around and taking pictures.

Weirdly, I then got a FaceTime call. It was from my kid who was sitting with her friends by a pool in Washington DC. She said, “Where are you? Dad said he lost you.” I said, “Well, that’s what he gets for walking 15 miles ahead.” Oh sigh….she knows this about us. I say, “I don’t know where I am exactly but there are giant pine cones and red polka-dotted toadstools and dinosaur tracks under my feet and a cave roof above.” She said my location was pinned as the “Children’s Fantasy Garden.” Okay, so there I am then. From my cave, I wave across the country to her bikinied friends waving back on the tiny screen while hoards of shrieking kids keep running all around me. Ugh. It was just too much annoyance (or "civilization") bombarding me all at once so I said, “I’m fine, child. Have fun and thanks for checking in.” She said, “Ok, then. Sounds like a ‘great’ date…” Sarcasm doesn’t fall far from the tree - my sweet little sapling.

When I finally exited the cave castle, I saw hub standing with his back to me, so I just walked past pretending I didn’t see him. When he caught up to me, we had fallen back into step as we passed the Thomas the Tank Engine railroad tracks, and up to the Bugarium which marked the end of Kiddie Land. All this is just a tale of 2 old geezers out on the town but now it’s back to grownup stuff and the pretty flowers that many of “those people” seem to love. I prefer the empty and desolate landscape to garden-type things but at least, for once, I actually have some COLORS - other than brown - to share.

Oaxlis (False Shamrock) and Aeonium (Irish Rose)
IMG_5812.JPG

IMG_5815.JPG

Observatory light on a Bromeliad and Coleus and outside, a baby Smoketree behind Irises
IMG_5814.JPG

IMG_5823.JPG

Looking up through the colorful canopy of some Japanese Maples
IMG_5832.JPG

I have more pics of colored things but I'm liking the subdued shades of green better. Nothing beats the curlicue leaves of the Kalanchoe or...the tidy spikes of a Yucca. I liked the way the Weeping Bottlebrush draped itself over the sunny boulder...sweet. I LOVE the grasses out here in New Mexico (like this Needlegrass) because of their delicate way in the light and breeze. The last pic is an Atlas Cedar which with its blueish leaves and seen against the blue fountain....turned out to be my favorite picture of the bunch.
IMG_5816.JPG

IMG_5817.JPG

IMG_5813.JPG

IMG_5821.JPG

IMG_5819.JPG

Olive, you crack me UP. I can relate to the old geezers wandering club. :ROFLMAO:

I like those shamrocks, but then I like most shades of purple so maybe I'm easily impressed.

Great shots! 👍

Well.... I've been kinda AWOL for a bit. Usual house jobs plus 50-60 metres of metal railings to derust, prime and paint. So Painting, just not my preferred way. Had a couple of days in Istanbul with my art gear, but never got a chance to sketch... Meh. May try to do something from my photos.
But, Finally put chalk to paper the other day for a semi requested portrait, can't say I'm happy with the results so far, binned version 1, ver 2 is a wee bit better but the art muscle seems weak ATM. Its brush off and use the remains as a base time I think.
Regards all

Still sometimes take the camera along when I go take a walk through the neighborhood. Just had to share this grey hornbill couple (female first, then the male), looking like they sourced out their bill designs to some African graphic designer... :) :

2024 Grey hornbill female DSC_0480.JPG

2024 Grey hornbill male DSC_0476.JPG

Wow! You have some of the most exotic-looking birds in your part of the globe, Brian. These hornbills are incredible!

Back