What are you up to?

@OliveOyl - The tree is in Bryant Park. It was lovely there, very Christmassy! We haven't been to the Rockefeller Center yet, I hear the tree is there but the lights won't be switched on till after we leave, but we'll definitely go and look.

As for what we're doing there, it's our honeymoon - we got married in Jamaica in March, but as we had family there with us we thought we should go away just as a couple. Neither of us have been here before so it's a big adventure. Yes we'll definitely be watching the parade!

We had a quiet day today, visited the Intrepid museum to look at aeroplanes and the space shuttle (wow) and just had a wander round. So far I'm loving it, just overwhelmed at how tall everything is!
NYC is so much fun. I haven't been there in years. I agree with Ayin, it's better to just get a few solid places in, and just enjoy the vibe. I love that you're going to see the parade, and have visited museums! All very iconic. ❤️ Have fun!!

I hope you all get a break in the weather pattern soon! I lived in the SE USA for many years, and went through many droughts. It gets old quickly.

Yup, I find I can withstand the heat and even enjoy it if we get regular rain to bring some relief. Alternatively, I can deal with the dry heat of desert climates. But around here, drought somehow does not mean less humidity. Same humid heat as always, except it just doesn't rain. That really wears one down after a while. :)

It's been cold here. Some rainfall. 40F degree mornings, and it hasn't been much over 50F during the day. Though, when I went into town yesterday, It was 60-something, and I had to take off my jacket after grocery shopping from moving around.

Yup, I find I can withstand the heat and even enjoy it if we get regular rain to bring some relief. Alternatively, I can deal with the dry heat of desert climates. But around here, drought somehow does not mean less humidity. Same humid heat as always, except it just doesn't rain. That really wears one down after a while. :)
That was here in the US Southwest: At our place, we got less than a half inch of rain all monsoon season, although the County got a smidge of one inch, officially. But, the heat and humidity was UNBEARABLE. Over 100 degrees 3 days out of 7 each week, the rest @98 or so; humidities upwards of 60%-70%, and the dewpoints up in the 60s and 70s. Turn the steam sauna on High, climb in and baste yourself.

I hope you get more cooling rains soon. Somehow, it's all better if it rains enough.

I'm back home from New York. I had an awesome time, loved it! We managed to fit a lot in, saw a lot of the sights, had Thanksgiving dinner, even took in the basketball! There is still a lot we didn't do, so maybe we'll return at some point.

A few pics - I took loads, it was so photogenic!

The Rockefeller Center
20231122_202940.jpg

20231122_202915.jpg

From the top
20231122_210153.jpg

The Chrysler Building from the Empire State Building
20231123_132255.jpg

Hudson Yards
20231123_195417.jpg

20231123_203027.jpg

20231123_195630.jpg

From the top of The Edge at Hudson Yards
20231123_205410.jpg

20231123_205616.jpg

There's a protruding glass floor 100 storeys up. Possibly the scariest thing I've ever done
20231123_205556.jpg

More to come

Attachments

• 20231122_205948.jpg
    20231122_205948.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 9
I'm back home from New York. I had an awesome time, loved it! We managed to fit a lot in, saw a lot of the sights, had Thanksgiving dinner, even took in the basketball! There is still a lot we didn't do, so maybe we'll return at some point.

A few pics - I took loads, it was so photogenic!

From what I have seen in photos and video, New York is simply limitlessly photogenic and paintable. Thanks for sharing. :)

Wowee! Yes, it IS photogenic, huh? So dizzying and sparkly. That robin is like, “Well, thanks for noticing little old me way down here on flat earth level.” Happy to hear you had a good time and thanks for sharing.

Fabulous photos, Kay! I'm so happy you came over here and had a blast. ❤️ New York City is very special.

Glad you made it home safely!

Hi. I finished the last of the “lost empires” paintings (thank god). And now as I wait for canvases to arrive for the next thing, I think…what do I do now? WHAT DO I DO!! (she yells into the void). Well, I decided I have enough time to bother all of YOUSE. Blabbering calls…

So. We’re done gallivanting for a while but last month we went for an overnight trip to Taos (2.5 hours north). It’s my dream place. I can’t even describe how much I love it and how sad I am to be living here instead of there. But there’s no point crying over spilled milk and at least now, it’s close enough to visit. I’ll just show you PART of the visit, which is the afternoon spent at a historic site. Plus, it shows a kind of alternate reality to Kay’s NYC pictures and trip.

The TAOS PUEBLO is an ancient Native village, estimated to have been built between 1000-1450 AD. Because today, it’s still without electricity or running water, only about 150 people live there full-time, making it one of the oldest continuously inhabited communities in North America. (About 4500 Tiwa-speaking people, who are connected to the Pueblo, live outside the compound, in the surrounding area.) Maybe you’ve seen pictures of this because it’s been photographed a lot, although there are restrictions on what you can photograph.
tp1.jpg

The whole pueblo encompasses 95,000 acres, with a small stream called the Rio Pueblo which passes through the middle of the compound. It’s crystal clear and its headwaters come from the sacred (and hidden) Blue Lake off in the mountains. That lake, as well as the surrounding land, was taken away by the government and exploited for its natural resources. (Well, duh of course it was). It took tribal elders 64 years of protests, appeals, lobbying, and legislation, to get Congress to pass the Blue Lake bill. Finally, in 1979, Nixon signed it, and the lake and land was rightfully returned.
tp2.jpg

The main architectural feature and “hub” of the site is the multi-storied residential adobe complex. Windows and doors were added only during the last century. Before that, they would use ladders to go in and out through a hole in the ceiling.
tp3.JPG

tp4.JPG

tp5.jpg

There are parts of the village that are blocked off from visitors, and other parts with small shops inside homes, with their doors wide open so that visitors can pop in, buy things and talk to residents. Hondos, which are rounded outdoor ovens, are scattered around. Some of their openings had barriers so that the dogs (running all over the place) wouldn’t climb inside for warmth, which is something they like to do when it gets colder. Here is Dog + Hondo + Church.
tp6.JPG

The Catholic church is called The San Geronimo Chapel (St. Jerome is their patron saint) which was built around 1850. This was the third incarnation after the previous two churches were destroyed.
tp7.JPG

The original church was built in 1619 by the Spanish when they settled and forced the Tiwas into Christianity. But then it was destroyed during the Pueblo Revolt of 1680 when the Spanish were successfully pushed out of New Mexico by the Pueblo tribes. The church was rebuilt shortly thereafter. But during the War with Mexico, when the US Army began THEIR occupation, the Tiwas rebelled and assassinated the governor of Taos. In retaliation, the Army destroyed the church with artillery, while hundreds who had taken refuge inside, were also killed. That was in 1847 and today, residents (and certainly no visitors), are NOT allowed inside the cemetery area. The remains (with the old bell tower on top) still stand….
tp8.jpg

Anyway, the day we were there, fall was in the air and the burning pinon (or was it cedar?) smelled soooo good. The leaves were turning golden, the sun was out and warm, and it was wonderfully peaceful. I had some nice chats - about ceremonial poles, horsehair pottery, and buffalos - with some of the friendly people that lived there. It was just a perfectly happy Taos kind of day.

The End.
Buh Bye.

Right Now ! ... Putting the decorations back up after Suzie discovered the joy of Christmas & decided that pulling them down is SO much more fun that just looking at them ... 🫣 .

Hi. I finished the last of the “lost empires” paintings (thank god). And now as I wait for canvases to arrive for the next thing, I think…what do I do now? WHAT DO I DO!! (she yells into the void). Well, I decided I have enough time to bother all of YOUSE. Blabbering calls…

So. We’re done gallivanting for a while but last month we went for an overnight trip to Taos (2.5 hours north). It’s my dream place. I can’t even describe how much I love it and how sad I am to be living here instead of there. But there’s no point crying over spilled milk and at least now, it’s close enough to visit. I’ll just show you PART of the visit, which is the afternoon spent at a historic site. Plus, it shows a kind of alternate reality to Kay’s NYC pictures and trip.

The TAOS PUEBLO is an ancient Native village, estimated to have been built between 1000-1450 AD. Because today, it’s still without electricity or running water, only about 150 people live there full-time, making it one of the oldest continuously inhabited communities in North America. (About 4500 Tiwa-speaking people, who are connected to the Pueblo, live outside the compound, in the surrounding area.) Maybe you’ve seen pictures of this because it’s been photographed a lot, although there are restrictions on what you can photograph.
View attachment 36730
The whole pueblo encompasses 95,000 acres, with a small stream called the Rio Pueblo which passes through the middle of the compound. It’s crystal clear and its headwaters come from the sacred (and hidden) Blue Lake off in the mountains. That lake, as well as the surrounding land, was taken away by the government and exploited for its natural resources. (Well, duh of course it was). It took tribal elders 64 years of protests, appeals, lobbying, and legislation, to get Congress to pass the Blue Lake bill. Finally, in 1979, Nixon signed it, and the lake and land was rightfully returned.
View attachment 36731
The main architectural feature and “hub” of the site is the multi-storied residential adobe complex. Windows and doors were added only during the last century. Before that, they would use ladders to go in and out through a hole in the ceiling.
View attachment 36732
View attachment 36733
View attachment 36734
There are parts of the village that are blocked off from visitors, and other parts with small shops inside homes, with their doors wide open so that visitors can pop in, buy things and talk to residents. Hondos, which are rounded outdoor ovens, are scattered around. Some of their openings had barriers so that the dogs (running all over the place) wouldn’t climb inside for warmth, which is something they like to do when it gets colder. Here is Dog + Hondo + Church.
View attachment 36735
The Catholic church is called The San Geronimo Chapel (St. Jerome is their patron saint) which was built around 1850. This was the third incarnation after the previous two churches were destroyed.
View attachment 36736
The original church was built in 1619 by the Spanish when they settled and forced the Tiwas into Christianity. But then it was destroyed during the Pueblo Revolt of 1680 when the Spanish were successfully pushed out of New Mexico by the Pueblo tribes. The church was rebuilt shortly thereafter. But during the War with Mexico, when the US Army began THEIR occupation, the Tiwas rebelled and assassinated the governor of Taos. In retaliation, the Army destroyed the church with artillery, while hundreds who had taken refuge inside, were also killed. That was in 1847 and today, residents (and certainly no visitors), are NOT allowed inside the cemetery area. The remains (with the old bell tower on top) still stand….
View attachment 36737
Anyway, the day we were there, fall was in the air and the burning pinon (or was it cedar?) smelled soooo good. The leaves were turning golden, the sun was out and warm, and it was wonderfully peaceful. I had some nice chats - about ceremonial poles, horsehair pottery, and buffalos - with some of the friendly people that lived there. It was just a perfectly happy Taos kind of day.

The End.
Buh Bye.
Oh my god! WOW!!!!!

Back