What are you up to?

Blistering hot day today, but at a local mall, some people nevertheless had some fun.... :)

View attachment 36318
That is so great those water-play pads are around when it is blisteringly hot- down here there's ONE SMALL ONE for the entire area during the desert summer. The BigBox home improvement stores usually have an aerosolized mist at the door of the garden section, but that's because they sell stupid plants like Fuchsia or cyclamen baskets in a desert- it's to protect those plants, not the consumers..

I can tell you I'd be sticking at least my feet in that cool water, too.

Charlie made it through so much better than anyone thought he would, he didn't have to get anymore IV fluids or antihistamines- he was released to us last night with antibiotics (snakes' mouths, I was told, are 'disgustingly filthy!') and some prednisone to assist in the dissipation of the swelling- significant swelling. His face was shaped like a football when we picked him up last night, that's a bit better this morning, but the flesh around his eyes is still swollen (appears to be a second strike just above his left eye) and he honestly appeared to look like Munch's Scream- with fur, but, still.

He's just kind of shrugged it off- he was bit the first time in the mouth- yet, this morning while I was gone putting some sustenance into a grocery cart, he found Lucy's (black and white poodle mix who is very bossy) old chewy dental bone from yesterday, and HE ATE IT.

I can't imagine chewing on one of those grater-textured things with venomous slashes in my mouth- but he did.

Oh, and for those with pets in an area of venomous creatures: Get vet insurance. Holy crap- if it wasn't for Care Credit (or, because DH would do anything for one of the pets, the IRA) we'd be at a bank getting out a second mortgage. The antivenin alone- one dose- was $500!!

Merry Christmas, Charlie!
So glad that Charlie is shrugging the venom off. We sure hate to see our furbabies hurting. I have one on pain meds right now too. They think a pinched nerve in her spine. Her pain pill that was supposed to last all day, wore off around noon today and I had to give her a low dose aspirin to tide her over. My vet bill was only $403. :giggle:

I'm so glad Charlie is doing better! ♥️ Now I'm sorry your poor pup is in pain sno. I hope the meds are helping her. Yes, thank goodness for pet medical insurance. I had it when my dogs were alive. It really helps and makes it so we worry much less for them.

It's been cold these days here, not quite 50F. I love it this way.

Charlie made it through so much better than anyone thought he would, he didn't have to get anymore IV fluids or antihistamines- he was released to us last night with antibiotics (snakes' mouths, I was told, are 'disgustingly filthy!') and some prednisone to assist in the dissipation of the swelling- significant swelling. His face was shaped like a football when we picked him up last night, that's a bit better this morning, but the flesh around his eyes is still swollen (appears to be a second strike just above his left eye) and he honestly appeared to look like Munch's Scream- with fur, but, still.

He's just kind of shrugged it off- he was bit the first time in the mouth- yet, this morning while I was gone putting some sustenance into a grocery cart, he found Lucy's (black and white poodle mix who is very bossy) old chewy dental bone from yesterday, and HE ATE IT.

I can't imagine chewing on one of those grater-textured things with venomous slashes in my mouth- but he did.

Oh, and for those with pets in an area of venomous creatures: Get vet insurance. Holy crap- if it wasn't for Care Credit (or, because DH would do anything for one of the pets, the IRA) we'd be at a bank getting out a second mortgage. The antivenin alone- one dose- was $500!!

Merry Christmas, Charlie!
All's well that ends well. What a scary night you lived through! I'm so glad he's going to be fine - heck, he already sounds fine. It's amazing how fast our critters can rebound!

Great news for Charlie!

I have to ask though,

what does IRA mean? This is a good example of why we need the 'no abbreviation' rule ...
Individual Retirement Account.

He had a good 401K, (a retirement account wherein your employer usually kicks in to the funding, too) but when he actually retired, it had to be rolled over into something else. So he put it into an IRA.

I suppose such aren't a thing in the UK. Scotland likely has more than enough in pension payments, whereas, in the US, should you decide to depend on Social Security- which you paid into at every job (unless you didn't- like an artist selling works but not filing tax anything- which WILL catch up with you) you will starve while living in your cardboard box. In the US, we do not pay nearly as much in taxes TO the government as in Europe, but we get FAR LESS back, too. I'd be a lot happier paying more and getting social programs that give back DIRECTLY TO ME. The closest thing I can get to that idea is Social Security, which is miserly. And let's not talk about Medicare because it, too, is a bit of a rip-off: I paid into that every paycheck, and now I MUST get Medicare and I MUST STILL PAY MORE for it.

Dear Husband doesn't want to start with disbursements from his Individual Retirement Account, but if it meant a dog's life, he'd do it.

So glad that Charlie is shrugging the venom off. We sure hate to see our furbabies hurting. I have one on pain meds right now too. They think a pinched nerve in her spine. Her pain pill that was supposed to last all day, wore off around noon today and I had to give her a low dose aspirin to tide her over. My vet bill was only $403. :giggle:
I hope your little DearOne is helped easily and without any *gasp**clutch chest over heart* huge bill- I mean, would they actually do spinal fusion? Care Credit or GoFundMe....

I hope your little DearOne is helped easily and without any *gasp**clutch chest over heart* huge bill- I mean, would they actually do spinal fusion? Care Credit or GoFundMe....
She has done pretty well the last couple of days but acts like she is in pain again this morning. She's had her pain pill so maybe will be better after a while.

Well dang! And it's supposed to be rather not-nice weather the next several days all the way across the US. Our last Big Dog could be enticed to lay on a heating pad sometimes- but only on the couch, and only on the one end, not the other. I think they also make, like, self-heating gel pads- they heat from the pressure of the pet on them.

And there's ThermaCare Heat Wraps- these are a WOW! invention. Twelve hours of low, gentle heat; you forget it's even on, just suddenly it doesn't hurt anymore. I have a stash of them because Dear Husband, who swears he's fine, often walks like Festus and swears hisownself at everyone and thing.

At those times, I have diagnosed him as having intractable rottenitis.
🙃

I hope your li'l bit starts feeling better today.

Individual Retirement Account.

He had a good 401K, (a retirement account wherein your employer usually kicks in to the funding, too) but when he actually retired, it had to be rolled over into something else. So he put it into an IRA.

I suppose such aren't a thing in the UK. Scotland likely has more than enough in pension payments, whereas, in the US, should you decide to depend on Social Security- which you paid into at every job (unless you didn't- like an artist selling works but not filing tax anything- which WILL catch up with you) you will starve while living in your cardboard box. In the US, we do not pay nearly as much in taxes TO the government as in Europe, but we get FAR LESS back, too. I'd be a lot happier paying more and getting social programs that give back DIRECTLY TO ME. The closest thing I can get to that idea is Social Security, which is miserly. And let's not talk about Medicare because it, too, is a bit of a rip-off: I paid into that every paycheck, and now I MUST get Medicare and I MUST STILL PAY MORE for it.

Dear Husband doesn't want to start with disbursements from his Individual Retirement Account, but if it meant a dog's life, he'd do it.
Yes, it's a cardboard box for me (pretty much)! I've lived all my life as an artist. I worked full-time when I was very young, but I didn't have enough credits by the time I became disabled. I mostly worked under the table for my father because I started at 12 years old, and he kept it that way until I was 23, never helping me plan for my future, and neither did I. I've lived in my car a few different times and life has been rough. I have a decade left, and Social Security isn't going to help me much at all. I'll have to hustle til I keel over.

Guess where I am this week:

20231120_184637.jpg

London?

Haven't been there in a couple thirty years- I hope you're having a blast- and seeing more Art?

@Artyczar , I am sorry our country doesn't value its citizens enough to provide for their needs when they need. It drives me nuts the miserly-tightwad form of social safety nets which are all that are allowed; literal means testing- and meaner than most. You get enough to not be able to do much of anything- not enough to buy enough food, not enough to buy enough roof, not enough to get enough of the medications you need-- Scrooge-fisted ideology based on the idea if you cannot make enough money to survive, you probably shouldn't.
<Cheery smile and voice> Well, now that I've let everyone know my disdain for the competitive form of capitalism in the US, on with the show.

I wish I was delusional enough to be a moderate-conservative again....

Not London, despite being English I haven't been there since 1997! I keep thinking of going again, I'd love to visit the British Miseum and some of the galleries. Maybe one day soon.

Here's a few more pics I took today while getting very very lost:

20231120_213830.jpg

20231120_211404.jpg

20231120_213653.jpg

New York, New York….its a helluva town. The Bronx is up and the Battery’s down. La De Dah. La De Dah.

I use to live on the other side of the Lincoln Tunnel and work over on 46th by the George M. Cohen Statue (before it got cleaned up and was filled with graffiti and homeles). Its all changed so much I probably wouldn’t recognize much of it today. Macys and the Empire State building are icons but the tree threw me off…that’s not Rockefeller Center Is it? Do they still have the tree there? What are you doing there? Will you be seeing the parade?

Ha. Quite a different vibe than the spruce plantation! Those pictures were fantastic, by the way.

Anyway, hope you have fun. “Pretend it’s a city”….as Fran Leibowitz advises tourists…

Last edited:
@OliveOyl - The tree is in Bryant Park. It was lovely there, very Christmassy! We haven't been to the Rockefeller Center yet, I hear the tree is there but the lights won't be switched on till after we leave, but we'll definitely go and look.

As for what we're doing there, it's our honeymoon - we got married in Jamaica in March, but as we had family there with us we thought we should go away just as a couple. Neither of us have been here before so it's a big adventure. Yes we'll definitely be watching the parade!

We had a quiet day today, visited the Intrepid museum to look at aeroplanes and the space shuttle (wow) and just had a wander round. So far I'm loving it, just overwhelmed at how tall everything is!

Aww…congratulations, Kay! I hope you enjoy yourselves and maybe, you can find a chance to go the top of the Empire State Building or some other tall building. Like maybe for a nice romantic dinner? Then you can look DOWN at all the little ant people below…or see across the expanse of the whole twinkly cityscape and out across the river.

Congrats again Kay. I remember your wonderful Jamaica pics from your wedding. It's hard to experience a good amount of NY in one trip, so try not to be too overwhelmed. No one can do everything in one trip. If you can, though, try to go to at least one of the art museums (which you also can't absorb in one trip, especially the Met). I remember going to the Folk Art Museum, which was really cool, and was able to do that in an afternoon. The rest take much more time. ;)

Back