WEEKLY ART EVENT, January 21-28

What? Did someone mention Pippa?
pip2.jpg

OleKobe - That's a wonderful painting of Korwin - so much character! Love your use of acrylics, too, lots of great texture work there.

For anyone who knows my dogs from the Scavenger Hunts, this is the lesser-sketched Dog2. Acrylics & oil pastel (over a wonky sketch with Posca pens), A2.
Hi Triss, thank you for the nice comment on Korwin. When I painted him in 2014 I hadn't discovered small art card brushes yet, so I used toothpicks.

I love your dog painting, especially the bold use of color.

OleKobe, lovely painting of Korwin. It looks like he was quite comfortable there.

Triss, what a nice painting of Dog2. Love your loose, sketchy style here. Nice sparkle in the eyes too.
Thank you, Anne. Korwin used to like sitting there while our daughter did her homework.

I decided to see if I could find a reference for a Golden Retriever which was the breed of dog we had many years ago. It was pre-digital cameras so I don't have any good photos of him but I found one on Pexels by Maree Zimny that looked just like him.

Ink and water-soluble graphite in Stillman & Birn Alpha sketchbook, about 5"x7".
Lovely Golden Retriever drawing. They have such kind and gentle eyes.

Another cute Pippa. She is the star this week.

OleKobe, I've used toothpicks to put a tiny refection in an eye but that is all. Isn't it nice that they make tiny brushes for that sort of thing!

Thanks OleKobe for your comments about my Golden Retriever.

I downloaded this image at the beginning of the week as a possibility and those chose something else. I kept thinking how cute this little hamster was, so I decided to draw him as well.

Ink & water-soluble graphite.

20220126Sk6 Hamster (Pexel, Sharon Snider).png

Reactions: Sue
Laika - That's a lovely sketch of Pippa, great style, and the colours are fantastic.

OleKobe - Now I want to try out some toothpicks! I don't do much detail, but they sound like they'd be fun for scratching into oil pastel. Thanks for the inspiration.

ams - So glad you found some extra time to draw the hamster - he's adorable! Beautiful shading work.

Bit late with this one, but I felt guilty for not getting Dog1 done - acrylic & pastel (charcoal sketch), A2.

dog1cs.jpg

What a warm and wonderful pooch portrait, Triss! Dog1 looks very calm and pensive, and I love the bold, loose strokes you've used, and those touches of green add interest and a bit of energy against the warm colors. Beautiful!
Laika - That's a lovely sketch of Pippa, great style, and the colours are fantastic.
Thanks for your kind comment :)

Triss, beautiful portrait of Dog1. Your style is so well suited to an animal portrait. I love the loose style and use of color.

Glad you were able to participate.

Back