Weekly Art Event, January 14-21

P Barrie - (Sorry, I forgot your first name), the seas urchin is beautiful. The reflections are especially nice.
Penny - You always make us smile!
Anne - That is very well drawn! Actually, I could go for some more dark values in the shadow areas.

We got a foot of snow yesterday into today, with more on the way. Plus it is very cold and windy, so I will be clearing the driveway instead of doing some more art today.

This is from a photo I took of a conch on display in the Bahamas. When snorkeling in Grand Turk, the guide dove for live ones and make fresh conch salad on the boat for our group. The first photo is my source material. The second is a watercolor on Arches 140CP, 7 x 11. I was debating leaving the BG white or doing some spatters for sand. Opinions appreciated.

IMG_6137.jpeg

5363765D-A24C-45D2-A87A-D95CA7AD2F72_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
What a beautiful photo and painting Joy. Wonderful blend of colors that makes it so interesting to look at.

Thanks for participating.

When I was writing the tutorial to show how to search using a prompt, I spotted some adorable chicks when I put in egg (to further investigate eggshells) and I had to draw them. I titled it Chick Chat.

Ink and water-soluble graphite in Stillman & Birn Alpha sketch book, about 4" x 6".

20220115Sk6 Chick Chat (Pixabay, Lolame).png

P Barrie - (Sorry, I forgot your first name), the seas urchin is beautiful. The reflections are especially nice.
Penny - You always make us smile!
Anne - That is very well drawn! Actually, I could go for some more dark values in the shadow areas.

We got a foot of snow yesterday into today, with more on the way. Plus it is very cold and windy, so I will be clearing the driveway instead of doing some more art today.

This is from a photo I took of a conch on display in the Bahamas. When snorkeling in Grand Turk, the guide dove for live ones and make fresh conch salad on the boat for our group. The first photo is my source material. The second is a watercolor on Arches 140CP, 7 x 11. I was debating leaving the BG white or doing some spatters for sand. Opinions appreciated.

View attachment 17432

View attachment 17433
What a lovely, delicate watercolour, Joy. Thanks for showing us the photo, as well. I like the painting as it is with nothing to distract from it.

Anne, lovely chicks! The way they are looking at the shell is so cute.

Reactions: ams
Anne - Thanks for the Tutorial! Great drawing on the snail and chicks! Thanks for Hosting! Im just back from our Summer holidays, so havent had time to do much art yet.

Penny - I really like your choices for "shells", fun turtle and the Aboriginal Dream Time drawing is fascinating. On a couple of holidays in Aus, a few years ago, Lawrence and I went to an Aboriginal Art Centre where we learnt a lot about "Dream Time", very fascinating, informative and highly complicated subject - youve done well with your drawing of it.

P. Barrie - Lovely shell, a Sea Urchin I think.

Joy - Beautiful shell watercolor!

SHELLS - Sorry I haven't had time to do anything new for this Event. But I have a framed Oil Pastel on my wall which I painted for an Exhibition some time ago. I didnt want to sell it as I was quite proud of the way it turned out. Hope you enjoy it. Sorry about the camera glare.
20220120_180217.jpg

Last edited:
Schuee - Beautiful work with your turtle drawing, love all the patterns and the creative interpretation. Fun work with the cartoon (and fun dog house design!).

P.Barrie - Great job catching all the texture on the sea urchin shell, and lovely work with the reflection.

ams - Wonderful shading on the snail, and I love the added texture - that works so well on the snail body. Lovely drawing of the chicks, beautiful job getting the soft feel of their texture.

Joy - Delicate watercolour work - absolutely beautiful markings on the shell! Did you decide to leave the background white? I did love the combination of colours in the photo - but not sure how well they'd incorporate with your piece.

Vivien - That's happy timing! I just wondering yesterday what oil pastels look like framed (unfortunately, I've not seen one in real life). Great drawing, and it looks beautiful on the wall.

Sorry I don't always get the time to join in with these challenges. But I do really appreciate them being here - so thanks to those who've been hosting!

Shell - acrylic/oil pastel, A1-ish.
shellcs.jpg

Anne - Thanks for the Tutorial! Great drawing on the snail and chicks! Thanks for Hosting! Im just back from our Summer holidays, so havent had time to do much art yet.

Penny - I really like your choices for "shells", fun turtle and the Aboriginal Dream Time drawing is fascinating. On a couple of holidays in Aus, a few years ago, Lawrence and I went to an Aboriginal Art Centre where we learnt a lot about "Dream Time", very fascinating, informative and highly complicated subject - youve done well with your drawing of it.

P. Barrie - Lovely shell, a Sea Urchin I think.

Joy - Beautiful shell watercolor!
Thanks very much, Viv. Your trips to the Centre must have been very interesting.

Schuee - Beautiful work with your turtle drawing, love all the patterns and the creative interpretation. Fun work with the cartoon (and fun dog house design!).

P.Barrie - Great job catching all the texture on the sea urchin shell, and lovely work with the reflection.

ams - Wonderful shading on the snail, and I love the added texture - that works so well on the snail body. Lovely drawing of the chicks, beautiful job getting the soft feel of their texture.

Joy - Delicate watercolour work - absolutely beautiful markings on the shell! Did you decide to leave the background white? I did love the combination of colours in the photo - but not sure how well they'd incorporate with your piece.

Vivien - That's happy timing! I just wondering yesterday what oil pastels look like framed (unfortunately, I've not seen one in real life). Great drawing, and it looks beautiful on the wall.

Sorry I don't always get the time to join in with these challenges. But I do really appreciate them being here - so thanks to those who've been hosting!

Shell - acrylic/oil pastel, A1-ish.
View attachment 17658
Thank you, Triss.

I like the mother-of-pearl effect you’ve managed with the oil pastels. Good work. Love the colours.

SHELLS - Sorry I haven't had time to do anything new for this Event. But I have a framed Oil Pastel on my wall which I painted for an Exhibition some time ago. I didnt want to sell it as I was quite proud of the way it turned out. Hope you enjoy it. Sorry about the camera glare.
View attachment 17648
Beautiful work, Viv. It is nice. I didn’t know you work in oil pastels.

Good to hear from you Vivien. Glad to hear you had a nice holiday.

I love your shells painting. What beautiful soft glow on the shells. Happy to have you participate with either a current or old painting.

Triss, very nice painting of your shell and the loose style you have. Wonderful way the shell catches the light and nice contrast with the dark shadow at the bottom.

Viv and Triss, thanks to both of you for participating.

Beautiful work, Viv. It is nice. I didn’t know you work in oil pastels.
Penny - thank you and yes Ive tried most art mediums over the years, I have a cupboard full of them. I used Oil Pastels for about 3 years while Christel was Moderator of The Oil Pastel Forum on Wet Canvas. I really liked them and the texture i could achieve with them. But found them quite time consuming compared to soft pastels. Must bring them out again!

Penny - thank you and yes Ive tried most art mediums over the years, I have a cupboard full of them. I used Oil Pastels for about 3 years while Christel was Moderator of The Oil Pastel Forum on Wet Canvas. I really liked them and the texture i could achieve with them. But found them quite time consuming compared to soft pastels. Must bring them out again!
I recently heard a quote about pen and ink which is also a medium that takes a long time. He suggested you just enjoy the process. It all depends on your goal and what you enjoy.

Anne - Yes Pen & Ink can take a very long time. I used to do a lot of pen & ink work and it took me ages, so I began to add watercolor to it and that halved the time. I have an excellent book - "Painting with Watercolor and Pen & ink" by Claudia Nice. An excellent book with lots of explainatory techniques and illustrations. I always go back to it if I cant figure out how to paint something.

I think I took one of her books out of the library many years ago when I was doing more pen & ink. Another resource I like are the videos put up by Alphonso Dunn on YouTube. He has some great tutorials there.

Vivien - Your shell painting is marvelous. No wonder you had it framed. I would like to look at it every day, also! I just use watercolor, and tried the Derwent Graphitint water soluble pencils in this months Wildlife Challenge. It sounds as if pen and ink is tedious. I also have a Claudia Nice book, Painting Your Favorite Animals in Pen, Ink, and Watercolor.

Thanks everyone who participated this week.

The new Weekly Art Event is up. You can find it here. Hope to see you there!

Thanks for the information, Viv. I have tried oil pastels but not managed to get the results I want. I expect it would just take practise.

Back