WEEKLY ART EVENT Feb 11- Feb 18

ZenDruid, what a wonderful photo. It makes me wonder where the pipes were going to go and what happened. It's also very interesting to see the contrast of the rusted towers against the new looking pipes.

Triss, love your town chimneys. Great job on the smoke too. Your loose style is so perfect here.

ZenDruid, what a wonderful photo. It makes me wonder where the pipes were going to go and what happened. It's also very interesting to see the contrast of the rusted towers against the new looking pipes.

Triss, love your town chimneys. Great job on the smoke too. Your loose style is so perfect here.
Thanks AMS. I'm not sure what the function of the pipes was, possibly for blowing material into the rusty silos. The pipes are made of PVC plastic and are about 8 inches in diameter.

Tailpipe, Destroyer of Worlds.

Chinese ink, fountain pen, colored pencils.

car.jpg

Lovely sketches Anne, the 'baccy' pipe made me smile - my dad had several and always had one about his person as I was growing up - the smell of certain pipe tobacco still takes me back to my childhood

Viv, love the pipe and tap - looks like a well weathered standpipe or something outside

Jennie. great work on the stack of pipes, my fave is the monochrome edition

That's a super lateral thinking response Penny = I like maps too

Brilliant contrasts in your photo ZenDruid

Superb take on pipes Triss, love the colour contrast

Nice one laika, and so true

This is charcoal on cartridge paper, about 5 x 15 ins. It's a corner of the Kiln Room at the Distillery, worked up from some quick sketches I did in situ plus some photos I took as reference. I started out intending to focus more on the pipes but got sidetracked by the texture of the rough walls.
HP Kiln Room.jpg

Great work everyone.

Mines nothing fancy. I had to replace my laptop and just got around to getting the tablet and some of my art programs on the new one. So made this quick digital sketch to test things out.
I used a picture from pixabay as a reference.
Pipes.jpg

Last edited:
Nice works, Sue and 16ga!

Yes, those gritty walls are great, Sue. Well done!

The jumble of pipes looks so much like real ink and watercolor, 16ga! What sort of software and input device did you use?

The jumble of pipes looks so much like real ink and watercolor, 16ga! What sort of software and input device did you use?
Thanks.
The software is art rage 6. There’s a newer version out now.
Its a nice program and set up more to mimic traditional art. Pencil, ink, pastel, water color, oil. Its still lacking compared to the real thing but its nice to play around with and doesn’t use up art supplies.

My graphics tablet is a Huion Inspiroy H610. Its a cheaper model but I was used to one from the early 2000s and this one was enough of an improvement for me.

Anne, lovely smoking pipe and good perspective on your plumbing.

Vivien, great faucet. I like the shading.

JennieJo, wow on the stacked pipes. Interesting how the colors change them.

Penny, clever find. Love your map.

ZenDruid, love the colors in your pipes. So fine.

Triss, you found some great chimney pipes. Love the colors, too.

Lamar, cool auto and exhaust.

Sue, nice job on the pipes and super texture.

16ga, fun jumble in digital. I like that.

Laika, what a great idea. I never thought of tailpipes. Very nicely done.

Sue, this is a lovely charcoal drawing. I agree that the texture on the wall is much more interesting. I'm glad you decided to focus on that. The prompt is just a starting point.

16ga, I love your digital pipes. They look as if they were a lot of fun to do. Very nice work on the shine of the metal pieces. I have done a lot of work in Artrage also but I usually use the oil and palette knife tools.

Thanks everyone for your comments and for participating this week.

I like what you have done here. This is a very interesting take on the stack of pipes. Your color choices and digital manipulation move it towards the abstract.

Thanks for participating.
Thanks for your comments. I am just starting to look at pencils seriously when 'just playing' with ideas. There's a great couple of posts in a forum. They gave me a glimmer of hope that I might create something detailed.

Reactions: ams
I never thought of tailpipes.
Thanks for your comments, Anne! Yeah, I don't know where the tail pipes idea came from, but I thought I'd better get something down rather than miss the deadline, which is what I usually do 😊

Laika - Fun work & titling - great angles on the car. I completely missed your puns earlier in the thread - they might have helped me out for ideas if I hadn't been too asleep to spot them!

Sue - Happy to see another charcoal work from the distillery. Wonderful work on all the texture - love the subtlety of marks you've created with the wall.

16ga - Great colours and variety of marks in the jumble of pipes - love the result!

Thanks for your comments laika, Jo, Anne and Triss. I'm working in charcoal mostly at the moment focussing on tone and texture - it's such a loose medium and I work far more freely in it as opposed to getting bogged down in all the detail so I'm enjoying it a great deal.

16ga, super digi of the pipes, it fascinated me that folk can do so much with digital - I'm a bit of a luddite and only use technology for non creative purposes really

Thanks for your comments, Anne! Yeah, I don't know where the tail pipes idea came from, but I thought I'd better get something down rather than miss the deadline, which is what I usually do 😊
If you miss the deadline, just post it when you are ready.
Thanks for your comments laika, Jo, Anne and Triss. I'm working in charcoal mostly at the moment focussing on tone and texture - it's such a loose medium and I work far more freely in it as opposed to getting bogged down in all the detail so I'm enjoying it a great deal.
Isn't it interesting how the medium can affect how you work?

Anne, lovely smoking pipe and good perspective on your plumbing.

Vivien, great faucet. I like the shading.

JennieJo, wow on the stacked pipes. Interesting how the colors change them.

Penny, clever find. Love your map.

ZenDruid, love the colors in your pipes. So fine.

Triss, you found some great chimney pipes. Love the colors, too.

Lamar, cool auto and exhaust.

Sue, nice job on the pipes and super texture.

16ga, fun jumble in digital. I like that.
Thank you, Jo.

Back