WEEKLY ART EVENT Dec. 3 - 10

It can mean watercolor too. I have written watercolor as "W/C," but that doesn't even make sense because it's one word! I have seen it written that way (I don't remember where), but it doesn't make sense to me. :unsure:

I can see O/C meaning oil on canvas maybe? Artists might know these abbreviations before non-ex-Wet Canvas members would know the former. Just trying to help out some newer members of this forum to not feel left out of the "clique." I hope not to offend anyone here. ;)
I think not using abbreviations for art terms and phrases is a good idea. Even for activities within this site, not using abbreviations is a good idea. For example, we might be tempted to refer to Weekly Art Event in conversation in other threads as WAE but it might not have any meaning for people on the site who don't regularly participate in it.

I think not using abbreviations for art terms and phrases is a good idea. Even for activities within this site, not using abbreviations is a good idea. For example, we might be tempted to refer to Weekly Art Event in conversation in other threads as WAE but it might not have any meaning for people on the site who don't regularly participate in it.
I admit I was a bit confused on other forums when I first encountered abbreviations, thinking OPs was oil paintings, not oil pastels. Not working in CP (colored pencils) or PP (pan pastels), as I thought they might be some type of paper and had to ask.

Well that generated a lot of discussion didn't it!!!
Lets just finish this by saying - if you are a previous Wet Canvas member and are used to using abbreviations - on this Website DON'T.(y)

I'm working on another "cozy" painting. I searched Pixabay and found a fun reference. I just finished the rough sketch and I'm ready to add some color. Stay tuned.........:)

I'm working on another "cozy" painting. I searched Pixabay and found a fun reference. I just finished the rough sketch and I'm ready to add some color. Stay tuned.........:)
Look forward to seeing it Anne.

Since there seems to be a bit of a dog theme going on this week, and I've been trying to turn some of my dog sketches into paintings, thought this one might fit the theme. Dog1 making himself very cosy taking up the whole sofa. Acrylics & oil pastels, A1.
View attachment 14454
It’s fantastic Triss! The whole sofa is his.

I can’t wait to see it, Anne.

My is a dog too. This is from a reference from Pixabay.

This was done with Artrage digital oils. I started with a freehand sketch and then worked on top of it with oils. I lay down the colors roughly and then work with the palette knife to get what I want.

This was a great prompt this week Kay. It will be interesting to see what people come up with during the week.

View attachment 14415
Very nice, Anne. I have a photo of my dachshund cross just like this. He is long gone now, but still missed.

We would love to see Pippa!

Anne, your brown dog does look quite comfy and cozy under its blanket. Excellent choice and rendition!

Although I love our 3 cats, to me cozy is that first cup of coffee each morning, brewed in the dark and sipped in the light. I used a ref from Morguefile free photos as the polkadot cup was too cute to pass up. Watercolor on my very last page in Arteza sketchbook 5.5x5.5, 110 lb. cold press paper.

View attachment 14430
Very appetising, Kay. I could do with a coffe after being out walking Indy in the storm just now. I like the colours.

Artrage digital oils.

I saw this reference on Pixabay and I thought it was perfect for Cozy. I used other references for the flames since I wanted more of a fire than the original image had.

I started with a rough digital pencil freehand sketch and then painted in layers on top of that, working from front to back. I wasn't as concerned with details as I sometimes am. This was just done for fun.

20211206D Feet by the Fire (WAE 12-3, Pixabay).jpg

Now that really is cozy, Anne - toasty toes! Well done. I love the stripey socks.

Reactions: ams
Penny - I like your use of dogs for central heating! Good fun.

Anne - lovely cute dog.

Kay - I like your spotty mug!

Viv - lovely picture of Pippa all curled up!

Triss - gorgeous painting, I love those rich colours.

Anne - I'd love to be in front of that roaring fire! This makes me feel all warm.

The first thing I thought of was big fluffy blankets and pillows. This somehow put me in mind of a reptile handling course I did once where I had to pick up an adder and put it in a pillowcase, so here we are. A cosy adder. Adder based on pixabay ref, pillow drawn from life, ink and coloured pencil, size A5.

20211208_215524.jpg

Kay, I'm glad you explained how you could have an adder for COZY. Well done and a creative response to the prompt.

Oh a snake! We don't have snakes in New Zealand so that was something I hadnt thought of. Not sure I would have picked one up either! He looks very cozy on his pillow.

Back