WEEKLY ART EVENT Dec. 3 - 10

Kay, thanks for your comment.

Nice work on the cup of coffee, it looks comfy indeed. Good work on the metal spoon too. I can see why you couldn't resist the polka dot cup. Adorable!

This is a quick charcoal and pastel sketch of my dog "Pippa" looking cozy and half asleep on my lounge chair.
Pippa is a Jack Russel/Miniature Fox Terrier cross, which is cross of 2 of the fastest Terriers on the planet! She is 6 years old and I've had her since she was a puppy of 6 weeks. For those that don't know her, I wrote about her many exploits and the various situations she got herself into, for many years, on the Animal & Wildlife Chatroom on WC. She was nearly impossible to catch when we lived on our farm and could climb and jump over every fence and gate. Most recently she has the distinction of being the only dog to escape (by both climbing and jumping the fences) the Boarding kennel facility, when I was away on holiday!!! Apparently she managed to escape and hurtled around their back paddock for several circuits until someone had the sense to call her - when she then came to them immediately! She is now banned from their "Small Dog Area" and if she stays there, has to go into one of the Kennels in the "Large Dog Area"! Needless to say, I don't leave her at Boarding Kennels very much!
Pippa.jpg

Not a very good sketch, I'm sorry but she was aware of me sketching and was trying to sleep and watch me at the same time.
Here's a photo of what she actually looks like - she is tiny and tri-colored and has the long legs of the Mini Fox Terrier but the little (quick) body of a Jack Russell.
IMG_2824 (1).JPG

Schuee - My house lost power in a storm last week, so your Sustainable Heating sketch really made me laugh. I was using my big-furry-rug dog as a hot water bottle a lot!

ams - Love your dog painting, too - beautiful work, and the way you've captured the softness of that blanket with texture is really impressive.

Kay - Fun work on the spotted coffee mug, and lovely painting of the reflections on the spoon. Coffee's always one of my favourite subjects!

Vivien - Wonderful sketch of Pippa - love the way you've handled her colouring, and I really like the sketchy chair background. She looks like a dog with plenty of character!

Anne, an excellent painting of that snuggled-in dog!
Kay - while I like your painting very much (spotty cup an' all!) - I must disagree about the best first drink of the day!!!!!!!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: .....it has to be tea for me! 😉😃

Viv - that's a really lovely sketch of Pippa - and, for me, terriers are always the BEST of dogs! ;) :D ...

Thanks everyone!

Pippa sketch is perfect, Viv! She’s a Houdini dog if she got out of all that.

We would love to see Pippa!

Anne, your brown dog does look quite comfy and cozy under its blanket. Excellent choice and rendition!

Although I love our 3 cats, to me cozy is that first cup of coffee each morning, brewed in the dark and sipped in the light. I used a ref from Morguefile free photos as the polkadot cup was too cute to pass up. Watercolor on my very last page in Arteza sketchbook 5.5x5.5, 110 lb. cold press paper.

View attachment 14430
Nice Kay. How fun to finish a sketchbook! I love polka dots.

Since there seems to be a bit of a dog theme going on this week, and I've been trying to turn some of my dog sketches into paintings, thought this one might fit the theme. Dog1 making himself very cosy taking up the whole sofa. Acrylics & oil pastels, A1.
cosy.jpg

Can't comment on all.

Triss - What wonderful pose and highlights. Outstanding!
Kay - Nice job w/ the cup, esp. the spoon. Great suggestion of placemat.
Vivien - You know I can never get enough of Pippa!

Since there seems to be a bit of a dog theme going on this week, and I've been trying to turn some of my dog sketches into paintings, thought this one might fit the theme. Dog1 making himself very cosy taking up the whole sofa. Acrylics & oil pastels, A1.
View attachment 14454L
Love your painting of Dog 1, great brush work! He does look very relaxed and cosy on the chair. Does he have a name?

Thanks everyone!

Pippa sketch is perfect, Viv! She’s a Houdini dog if she got out of all that.
Thanks Kay, and yes she is a Houdini dog. I never believed dogs could climb but Jack Russels can. Our previous Jack Russell dog "Drum" who lived until he was 17 years of age, used to climb trees and go "Bird Hunting"! He never caught any birds but did find some of their nests. He also fell out of many trees, so it was amazing he lived until he was 17 years old.

Anne, an excellent painting of that snuggled-in dog!
Kay - while I like your painting very much (spotty cup an' all!) - I must disagree about the best first drink of the day!!!!!!!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: .....it has to be tea for me! 😉😃

Viv - that's a really lovely sketch of Pippa - and, for me, terriers are always the BEST of dogs! ;) :D ...
Thank you Maureen - and I remember why you were called "Charlie's Mum". I think it was after your Terrier "Charlie" wasn't it?

I wrote about her many exploits and the various situations she got herself into, for many years, on the Animal & Wildlife Chatroom on WC.
Just say "Wet Canvas" instead of abbreviations, please. Thank you! :)

triss, your lounging dog is perfect. What a pose! He looks sooooo relaxed!

It can mean watercolor too. I have written watercolor as "W/C," but that doesn't even make sense because it's one word! I have seen it written that way (I don't remember where), but it doesn't make sense to me. :unsure:

I can see O/C meaning oil on canvas maybe? Artists might know these abbreviations before non-ex-Wet Canvas members would know the former. Just trying to help out some newer members of this forum to not feel left out of the "clique." I hope not to offend anyone here. ;)

Back