WC bites the dust

Traffic was already way down from the glory days, which wasn't their fault. But the new format was abysmally bad. Their endless promises to make it better were never kept. I visited only rarely.

Of course, for me the best part of WC was the much-maligned Debates, which was already all but DOA before the move.

WC's "glory days" were probably a decade or more ago... before another change in ownership and management way back then. Musket probably remembers the days when a hot discussion might generate 7, 8... 11 pages of new posts in a single day. Pages! Not single posts.

Debates was about far more than politics. It was by no means the only topic, not by a long shot, though it tended to get more emphasis towards the end, when Debates had mostly degenerated into endless circular discussions about the same few hot topics.

Arty, rest assured I'm not lobbying for the inclusion of a Debates forum here, nor am I trying to get into a debate about Debates. Just setting the record straight.

For example, one of the longest threads, which I'm sure SLG would remember, was entitled, "The End of POMO?"

Yes... and I remember long debates on the merits of single works of art. Of course the one that got me in trouble was the thread on the Olympics and the Womens' Beach Volleyball. :oops: ;)

So....what will become of all the images?

The one of mine that caused a problem on WC was ‘Grenfell Tower’.

I had only been painting for a few months and posted a picture that
was a document of an event.
it was topically seen as ‘needing to be substantiated’ and .... I was totally agog
that my amateur art was seen as provocative.

Last edited:
Musket, Stlukesguild, thank you,
understood, then I think I have read, sifted through some posts, in the 3 months prior to the change of site, I did not remember the name of the forum because now I could not find it but I think that was what I was thinking.

I joined Wetcanvas probably in 2006. Lots of changes. I really miss the trade projects. All the posted stuff from there was lost in one of the glitches. So much lost from there. I did over 40 different trades and loved going back and seeing what artwork I did for each trade. Wetcanvas was like an old friend. I hope we can make a new friend here. I was "J" on Wetcanvas.

I joined Wetcanvas probably in 2006. Lots of changes. I really miss the trade projects. All the posted stuff from there was lost in one of the glitches. So much lost from there. I did over 40 different trades and loved going back and seeing what artwork I did for each trade. Wetcanvas was like an old friend. I hope we can make a new friend here. I was "J" on Wetcanvas.

I would've joined '07 or '08 I think. Not sure what has become of my account there now. It is such a shame the way things turned out.

I have a good feeling about this place Bart!
Nice to see old familiar names and, activity on a good platform! Arty and company have done as EXCELLENT Job.🙂🙂👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻I can happily recommend this site to newbies!
Wetcanvas was an old friend, and I really enjoyed the older site. It was a very pleasant place on the internet. Like everyone, very sad to see it did not work out, but sadder still, all that knowledge is is gone, or partially gone.
We will have to build anew. But we can do it together and that is very enjoyable. So glad the gang’s all here and this isn’t like those click like, and disappear sites.

yeah its bitter sweet leaving wet canvas behind. i was there since 2004 and learned to draw in the drawing forum there. later i was a regular in the Weekend Drawing Event (WDE). i owe a lot to the folks there that helped and inspired me. nice to see some old names and 'new' old names here. :)

Yes it is. I think I joined around 2007. It is the invaluable discussion and techniques of really generous and talented artists that we are losing. All those archived threads. Many have passed away. I swear I learned a lot more there than in university in art class! Also it’s all the old saved private conversations, and saved techniques of stuff I don’t really remember off the top of my head. But I knew where to go find it if I needed to. Hopefully we will just start doing it here. I am very glad to have a forum like this because a lot of sites just don’t cut it for conversation and discussion.

Many of us from WC are thrilled to have CS welcome us. Hoping to start some challenges here. I never even knew there were debates at WC, as I go there for the art and feedback. Plus I have many other things in my life (many sports, hobbies, etc.) to online debate. The mods there are phenomenal, doing so much for so many.

I can't even remember when I first joined WC, but it was maybe 20 years ago. I didn't always participate and I took a couple of hiatuses, the longest being two years. I'd originally joined with the user name "esart" and shortly after changed it to artyczar. I was in the business forums, the cafe, and in the creativity forums mostly, but showed up in the oil painting and watercolor forums at times too. Also the Ab/Ex forum at times.

Back