The World of Inversions

Hausamann

It is a different point of view to see things with colour inversion. It's like a negative viewpoint, but the elements of composition, colour temperature, weight and balance, etc., also becomes inverse. Some beautiful photos, inversed, look awful. And some awful shots can look beautiful in reverse. Of course there are many that look beautiful from both points of view.

To clarify what I mean by inversion...
Inversion sample.jpg

Feel free to include your favourite inversions here.

Wow, you have a way with doing these. For sure. ♥️
Thanks.

If you are referring the how of it, then, I simply use a image app such as the free GIMP.
Then I look at certian photographs I have taken and see what they look like when 'inverted'.
I open the image with GIMP. Go to clour menu, and select 'invert'.

A lot of the time the inverts don't look to good. I am slowly learning to grasp what an image may look like inverted. Learning this may reduce the amount of trial-and-error.

I think I have Gimp here somewhere. I usually use Photoshop, but maybe I will play with Gimp! :)
I can't imagine Photoshop not having a colour 'inversion' option.
I done a quick Google and found that in Photoshop, the keyboard shortcut "Crl - I" accesses the invert.

These are pretty interesting, so thanks for sharing. I’ve played around with inversions before and so can easily see taking a few of these and making them into paintings. Because I use photos a lot, for almost everything, my mind just naturally goes there. But of course, as they say…your mileage may vary.

Stare at a fixed spot at the centre of the inverted picture for at least 30 seconds, then look at a white wall or a piece of white paper to see the inverted colours. This is how I find the complementary of a colour when I am painting.

It's also why a grey patch looks different against different background colours.

Stare at a fixed spot at the centre of the inverted picture for at least 30 seconds, then look at a white wall or a piece of white paper to see the inverted colours. This is how I find the complementary of a colour when I am painting.

It's also why a grey patch looks different against different background colours.
Good one, or should I say two. (y)

Back