Temple Abstract

Trier

Supporting Member
This is more like what I felt when I was painting the previous Temple one.

24 x18 ins acrylic/ fabric mounted on foam board.
P1000149TempleAbstractM1Scaled.JPG

Wow, I didn't know it would post this huge! Probably have to reduce or scale down like you have to do on WC.

Material difficulties and procedural errors:

The idea was to attach some fabric to a foam board panel to get a lightweight, chea3p , stiff , quick and almost ready to hang painting.

Gessoed foam panel, cut fabric to fit, spread acrylic gel medium on both fabric and board.

Very difficult to handle both wet fabric and wet board at same time and get the fabric laid down square on the panel so that there were proper borders.

Fabric ‘squirmed’ so that wrinkles developed that were hard to work out before the gel dried.

Could not fix a large long wrinkle in time, and it can be easily seen in the finished painting.

Gessoed mounted fabric, which turned out to be a lot more porous than I had anticipated, and therefore took an inordinate amount of gesso and time in applying. Never did get the gessoed surface to a uniform smoothness, which made painting difficult.

NEXT TIME; try gessoing on back of fabric and letting it dry, before laying on board.
Find some faster, better way to fill up the weave in the fabric.
Try some of Golden fabric stiffener medium from the sample, (somewhere).
Forget borders, cover whole panel and cut after mounting, can glue border strips to cover after.

C & C and advice welcome
Regards,
Trier

PS I am trying to show the 2 together for comparison, but the images are not appearing the way I want; I am messing up somehow. Sorry about that.

Attachments

• P1000149TempleAbstractM1.JPG
    P1000149TempleAbstractM1.JPG
    769 KB · Views: 192
  • P1000149TemplePairScaled.JPG
    P1000149TemplePairScaled.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Trier, this is a great one and goes well with the other temple piece. Have you ever thought about starching and ironing the fabric pieces prior to adding them in the painting? That's what I do, and I tend to add the fabric last, trying not to get wet on top of the fabric if I can help it. Everyone has their own technique, but I thought I'd offer the suggestion. I love the colors you've used and it's a very well-balanced composition too. Very good! :) I love your work and style.

Arty

THANKS for the fabric suggestion! It is embarassingly obvious that this is the first thing I should have thought of, and I don't embarass easily. Yep, starch and iron is what she would have said right off the bat.

Your comments on the painting itself are very much appreciated and encouraging, thank you.

I love the ebb and flow of this one.
Sno -
Given your Master level of artistry and knowledge, the old saying of 'Praise from you is praise indeed!' is how I take your comments.
I think I know what you mean by 'ebb and flow', and am trying to reconstruct how I did this in order to follow a good developement.

I just love the colors in this. I never would have thought of those combinations. I think you 'get away' with some of the unusual juxtapositions because of the black outlining. Like stained glass but curvy. Very nice.

I just love the colors in this. I never would have thought of those combinations. I think you 'get away' with some of the unusual juxtapositions because of the black outlining. Like stained glass but curvy. Very nice.
Thanks, Susan !
I think I will try a few with my peculiar color choices not outlined in black, if I can.

Back