An 800-year-old ink painting, regarded as the “Zen Mona Lisa,” has made a once-in-a-lifetime trip to the United States.

stlukesguild

This may be your only chance to see “Six Persimmons.” Painted with ink on paper in the 13th century, probably by a Chinese monk named Muqi, as part of a handscroll that also included “Chestnuts,” it was acquired in the 1500s by a Japanese merchant; cut out of the scroll and mounted on sumptuous green-and-white fabric inlaid with golden peonies; and donated to Daitokuji Ryokoin Temple, the Zen Buddhist institution in Kyoto that has been its guardian ever since, displaying it to the public only once a year for a single day.

21zen-painting-NEW-01-gqlt-superJumbo.800.jpg

21zen-painting-02-lhjz-superJumbo.800.jpg

New York Times: Muqi

Another proof that I am weeerd! I glanced at the work before zooming in, and my brain interpreted the persimmons as pump dispensers for hand lotions! 🤪 Worse yet, my wife agreed!

My first foray into painting was sumi-e, so this painting and others of the simplified Zen/Ch'an styles were my teachers. It's a lovely work. Yet, I'm not sure that the hype surrounding it is quite warranted. That's not because it's simple, rather because it's just really good in my book. I would gladly have it on my walls and would be deeply honored to have painted it none-the-less.
But to put it in perspective, despite my admiration for the works and genius of Leonardo, I'm not that impressed with the Mona Lisa either. Your Mileage My Vary (YMMV).

Back