Stourhead – aka “I am rubbish at landscapes.”

Joy

Contributing Member
I paint very few landscapes, and this is why! This is on Arches 140 rough, 15 x 11. Everything about this is a mess, especially the reflections. Wax resist was used on the distant water line to provide some separation between the water and the bank, but it was not well suited for the rough paper to make a straight line. As usual, I kept playing with it b/c I did not want to be a quitter and waste good paper.

IMG_0895.jpeg

Joy, this is far from rubbish or a mess - it’s very nice! I like the effect you got from the wax resist and look at the beautiful softness of the distant tree line. There is such a good variety of greens too!

Not rubbish at all! Would not have noticed the wax resist until you pointed it out. It is a smooth transition between planes of distant, far, middle, and foregrounds. Greens are very nicely rendered and look natural. Reflections are believable and the water hues are just fine. It is better than you give yourself credit for, Joy. Really!

I thought the resist area was a shimmer on the water. It could also be a stony shoreline. I like the effect!

This is much better than you think it is! It's a beautiful scene, you have a lovely range of greens and I love the variety in the trees. I wouldn't have noticed the resist either - it looks like the distant shoreline.

No Joy, this is a beautiful landscape. Your variety of greens makes a delightful painting and your shoreline looks like stones, so don't even point it out, it's great. ❤️❤️

It appears we have another naive painter! This is wonderful! Like Laika said, I, too, thought the distant resist was shimmer on the water. Greens, so difficult (for me) to get a believable variety of are well done. your piece has a pleasant rhythm to it. FWIW, I think you should do more landscapes.

Joy, what's wrong with this picture? It has a very interesting interplay between hard and soft edges and it's a lovely scene.

I like it!
I see the waterline on the right as a large flock of swans, and when I enlarged the picture on my phone, I fell in love with the bridge! Very nicely done! 👍

(Can I attach the screenshot of the bridge to show what I am talking about?)

--Rich
"So many colors, so little time!"

Oh, you are all soooo kind! It just looks overworked and blah to me, not fresh and painterly. Rich, of course you can attach it; I am grateful for any help. Any suggestions appreciated.
🥰

I think this turned out great Joy! You should do more - you are always underestimating your talent! :)

Oh, you are all soooo kind! It just looks overworked and blah to me, not fresh and painterly. Rich, of course you can attach it; I am grateful for any help. Any suggestions appreciated.
🥰
OK, this is the part I really fell in love with:

Landscape by Joy 23=05=07 (CS).jpg

Sorry about the overlays, there!

--Rich

Rich, thank you- I'm not sure what is remarkable about this detail.
Balaji - thanks for your kind words.

It just looks overworked and blah to me, not fresh and painterly.
Here, I think you're assigning what you felt while you were working to the actual painting itself. ;) (I'm noticing this because I do it quite often!) And this landscape sure doesn't come across as overworked or blah to me. I'm loving the reflections, especially under the bridge, and the sparkling water, and it seems that I'm in agreement with others here.

It's a pretty piece that was worth your extra attention. I hope you return to it soon, after getting your eyes off it for awhile, and like it better.

Here, I think you're assigning what you felt while you were working to the actual painting itself. ;) (I'm noticing this because I do it quite often!) And this landscape sure doesn't come across as overworked or blah to me. I'm loving the reflections, especially under the bridge, and the sparkling water, and it seems that I'm in agreement with others here.

It's a pretty piece that was worth your extra attention. I hope you return to it soon, after getting your eyes off it for awhile, and like it better.
Terri, you definitely know how I feel! I am liking it a bit more now. Thanks ever so much.

Everything about this is a mess I did not want to be a quitter and waste good paper.
Well, i was drawn to the wonderful background trees, really nice! Not especially distracted by your worries.
I get the rough paper thing, but it does work and often adds character due it's irregularity and pooling of pigment that can enhance. Especially with the opaque colours. I say persist and do a few small pieces with or without wax. I am stuck into pastels ATM but still carry my little bag of tubes and a handmade block of just over palm sized cold press.

Why did I not comment on this??? I guess I had to go during the time I had the thread open.

You are NOT rubbish! This is beautiful! I love how you did all the greens and the background trees. It looks like a purist's watercolor to me. I love that technique (my favorite kind). I might make the sky a little more dynamic by adding some obvious (and darker) water-downed brushwork, but that's just a personal preference. It still stands on its own. It's very lovely as it is. ❤️

Back