Stolen van Gogh Painting Worth Millions Returned in an Ikea Bag

I'm glad it was returned to its home; I'd like to see more of the WWII lost art returned, too.

They can use a Kaufgut bag or just a bread basket for all I care.

For the life of me, I cannot fathom why the repeated story always mentions the IKEA bag. Funny the first time, strange after that.

Unless of course it was a genuine IKEA Vongofsendikta painting with instructions for assembling the stretcher bars.

For the life of me, I cannot fathom why the repeated story always mentions the IKEA bag. Funny the first time, strange after that.

Unless of course it was a genuine IKEA Vongofsendikta painting with instructions for assembling the stretcher bars.
It came back as a paint by number. ;)

I'd like to see more of the WWII lost art returned, too.

I have mixed feelings about "looted" art. A vast amount of the art in the world's great museums was looted in one way or another. The Spanish, the English, the French, the Americans, the Romans, the Greeks, the Turks, the Russians, the Italians, etc... all stole numerous works of Art over the centuries. One can argue that the most famous painting in the world was stolen. Leonardo took the Mona Lisa with him when he moved to France in spite of the fact that the painting had been commissioned and paid for. I am more concerned that works of Art remain housed in institutions where they are well taken care of and where the populace has access to them. Too many times, it seems, works of Art that have been deemed improperly seized are returned to grandchildren of the original owners only to be put up immediately on the auction block and snatched up by some billionaire and locked away from public view.

I have mixed feelings about "looted" art. A vast amount of the art in the world's great museums was looted in one way or another. The Spanish, the English, the French, the Americans, the Romans, the Greeks, the Turks, the Russians, the Italians, etc... all stole numerous works of Art over the centuries. One can argue that the most famous painting in the world was stolen. Leonardo took the Mona Lisa with him when he moved to France in spite of the fact that the painting had been commissioned and paid for. I am more concerned that works of Art remain housed in institutions where they are well taken care of and where the populace has access to them. Too many times, it seems, works of Art that have been deemed improperly seized are returned to grandchildren of the original owners only to be put up immediately on the auction block and snatched up by some billionaire and locked away from public view.
I hear your concerns. Of course most would agree with you that locking them away from public view isn't a great result.

Yes, looted art is all over our museums, but that which was stolen in historic times at the point of a gun, or taken as its owner was taken away to a death camp isn't in quite the same category as an older relic removed from an excavation from its home country. At least that's my way of viewing it, having spoken personally with Dr. Stuart Eizenstat.

I suppose there has to be a cut-off point. Do we say everything from WWII onwards is to be returned? Which at the moment it is, and this at the very least seems right to me, though I'm certainly not fond of seeing, say Klimt's work, disappear into art freeports. Where I'm a bit iffier about is say the Benin bronzes looted by British troops. A wrongful act to be sure, but that was 126 years ago, and these 'bronzes' aren't exactly morally pure as the driven snow themselves. The bronzes are actually more exactly made from brass, and where did they get that brass? Well not locally, they gained it from the Portuguese, and what did the Portuguese most often get for the brass? Unfortunately, slaves.

Yep. Unfortunately not a lot of truly clean art or artifacts out there when you dig deeper.

Or they are returned to their country of origin, only to disappear or be destroyed in the next civil war, or even just be neglected to death by careless governments that used the whole issue for propaganda, without actually genuinely caring about the art.

Here in my neck of the woods, the current government inherited a huge amount of public art from the apartheid government, and it is getting damaged and destroyed on a large scale.

Here's one partial solution: Church Square in Pretoria is famous for the statue of Paul Kruger.

Anton van Wouw - Krugerstandbeeld,_Kerkplein,_b,_Pretoria.jpg

But the square is not the orderly place it used to be, and the current government not sympathetic to such works from the olden days, so it is likely just a question of time before Uncle Paul is going to be stolen and sold as scrap metal. Recently one of those bronze plaques got stolen, and was luckily found again.

Now I see in the news that the Afrikaner cultural town of Orania is going to have the entire thing 3D-scanned, and then have an exact replica cast to put up in their town. At least with metal sculptures this is a good conservation option; you can have a pretty much identical replica made, so the information remains intact. Same thing can be done with the Benin bronzes, for example, before they are returned to Africa.

In a general sort of way I would suggest that for all such contentious art, museums where it is currently housed should make such high resolution scans. Considering these museums are generally publicly funded, such scans should ideally actually be available to the public online, for free. The same goes, for that matter, for publicly funded scientific research, which currently often languishes behind paywalls in journals.

Brian, while 3D scans and their ilk are terrific, they aren't perfect replicas. Better than nothing, I totally agree with you.

For fossils and human remains, old mold making techniques have advanced and been used for decades. Many of the supposed bones you see in museums are actually replicas. The bronze horses above St. Marks in Venice are replicas. So your idea has a lot of merit.

We all have our opinions. I agree with Bart that having your possessions taken from you while you're hauled off to a death camp is in a very different category than being a looted institution and/or country. It's not as personal. If the work is returned to the descendants and they decide to auction it all off for crazy sums of money, so what? That would be the choice of that family to do so. If the art is, in fact, worth millions of dollars, what is that compared to their ancestor's lives or the suffering they went through? Even if they suffered less than most, that is also their choice. If no one ever sees the art because it is stored away, that is the burden of the last buyer making it so.

I also believe that Native people's art and artifacts should be returned to their origins as well. I like the idea of making replicas for this for exhibitions because it hurts no one.

Piggybacking on your idea about replicas for Native people's artifacts, it would be especially thrilling to pay Native artisans to make reproductions for such displays. Obviously that doesn't work for human remains, but those are already replicated with molds.

Note that 3D modeling is already moving heartily into museums, not because of looted art returning, rather because of all the catalogued but unexhibited inventory.
3D modeling

Back